Willdra’s Valiant Venezia Review

We finished eating and got to the theater at 7:40. We still had plenty of time. We walked right up, got in a short line, they checked my bag, scanned our tickets, and we were in. The usher told us to go right in the door behind him. When we did that, our seats were right there by the door. Sweet.

I was concerned about the seats, cuz even though I did my research and seat views, I couldn’t tell if that overhang above us was gonna be a problem. Welp it wasn’t. At all. The seats were perfect. I was glad that I chose them. Even W said I did a good job.

W went to get drinks and potty while I sat and got ready for the show. I don’t know how many times the ushers told people to put their phones away and stop taking pictures once the actors came out. It was like they were kids or something. This one lady just kept trying to beg and one guy acted like they were talking to everyone but him. How is this so hard to understand? It’s not just NY either. It was the same way in Atlanta. People just want to do what they want to do. The rules apply to everyone else but me. Eye roll deluxe.

The lights went down promptly at 8. W brought me “some kind of margarita” (his words) in the Moulin Rouge cup, which was cute, and which came in handy throughout the rest of the trip. The lady next to me was texting a lot during the show, and had to be told to stop. Annoying.

The show was very good. Intermission seemed to show up quickly. They modernized it with more up to date songs if you’ve only seen the movie. I liked that. They kept some of the original songs too. I think it was a good balance between the old and the new. My absolute favorite tho was the end. It was kind of a mashup of pop songs, then Boy George ate and left no crumbs with “Do you really want to hurt me” and “Karma Chameleon”. The crowd was hyped. Everybody was singing, dancing, and clapping. I was over the moon. That was what I went for.  Earlier in the show they also layered in “I’ll Tumble 4 Ya” in one of the medleys. It was very subtle and in the background vocals, but I heard it, and I lived.  I read somewhere that they added the Culture Club songs in for Boy George, and that was a boss move. I would go again just for that.

IMG_7701-L.jpg

IMG_7707-L.jpg

IMG_7708-L.jpg

IMG_7709-L.jpg

• Like 21

When we walked out of the theater, Times Square was lit. The streets were charged up with activity. It was like Vegas, but in a scary, “Don’t let the smooth taste fool you” sorta way. For some reason, the quote from Elf,  “It’s just like Santa’s workshop, except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me”, when Buddy was describing the mailroom, was living rent free on a loop in my brain that whole day. Go figure.

On our walk back, we stopped at a bodega to get water, then I saw a pastry shop that I had to go into. This strawberry tart in the window was calling my name,  and I had to answer. I don’t quite know what it was, but it looked outstanding, like it could solve all of my problems, fix the chip in my tooth, potty train a pigeon, and ensure all of my direct reports complete their timesheets every week without having to be reminded. I ran inside and practically begged the guy behind the counter to put that dessert in my life.

I got my dessert wrapped up to go (almost everything is to go in NYC)  then W wanted to go into 7-11 so we did that. There was some guy just standing there talking to himself, rapping, and blocking the door so we had to yell at him to move so we could get in the store. Then we had to yell at him again when we wanted to get out. It’s acceptable to yell at people in NYC. Awkward.

Finally, we went back to the hotel and moved around in our room until it was time for bed.

Before I fell asleep I said a prayer thanking God for that strawberry tart. Mostly I thanked God that I could not just walk around getting one of those in GA (that I’m aware of). That thing was dangerous and should’ve come with a caution or something like Warning: Consuming this dessert will cause big backs and buckled knees. Your thighs will never divorce each other.  Shame will be your middle name. Now put down the strawberry tart and walk away. Thank you.

The offensive strawberry tart

IMG_7723-L.jpg

IMG_7725-L.jpg

IMG_7719-L.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 13

Aloha. Enjoying your review and your refreshing style of writing!  Blessed to be born and raised in Manhattan and now divide our time between NY and Hawaii. I feel like we are vacationing with you. Enjoy

• Like 2

Wow! I wake up this morning to find out that my sistah from another mother has snuck one in on us!!! Patti and I are along for the ride. The timing is perfect since we will be back on the Venezia for another B2B the end of August. Carry on my dear! 😀

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Welcome back, Willdra! I always look forward to following your trips, and this one is off to a great start. If you ever get back to Manhattan, I recommend Rise NY. It's a cool spot with some history of the city that ends with a ride similar to Disney's Soarin. I think it may be up your alley! Thanks again for writing another wonderful trip report ❤️

• Like 4

I have already laughed out loud several times causing my DH to look at me asking what? I told him he wouldn’t understand. The conductor line put me over the top! Thanks for taking us along again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I was supposed to be taking a shower and getting ready for Father’s Day but told hubby it had to wait, and instead I got my reading glasses and settled in for 2 pages of fabulousness. Can’t wait for the rest!! 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I sincerely love your writing. I too would have risked it all for that strawberry tart. Thank you for this. :⁠-⁠)

Edited by thera
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Wildra-I am enjoying your review with the info of your precruise stay in NYC. I am a native New Yorker-born and lived in the borough of Queens, and know “the City” like the back of my hand.

My mother started taking me into the City when I was about three for shopping trips and shows at Radio City.

I am impressed that you (safely)managed the subway system!

Glad you got to the Empire State Building and saw the Statue of Liberty with a ride on the ferry and saw a Bdwy play.All true NYC experiences!

I am looking forward to reading about how you and W spent the next day of your visit.

Oh, and your cruise review will be interesting to read too. 😉 

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

Love, love, love your reviews!  I just need to remember to not be drinking anything or eating as I will be spitting it out with laughter at some point!  It happens every time...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, willdra said:

When we walked out of the theater, Times Square was lit. The streets were charged up with activity. It was like Vegas, but in a scary, “Don’t let the smooth taste fool you” sorta way. For some reason, the quote from Elf,  “It’s just like Santa’s workshop, except it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me”, when Buddy was describing the mailroom, was living rent free on a loop in my brain that whole day. Go figure.

On our walk back, we stopped at a bodega to get water, then I saw a pastry shop that I had to go into. This strawberry tart in the window was calling my name,  and I had to answer. I don’t quite know what it was, but it looked outstanding, like it could solve all of my problems, fix the chip in my tooth, potty train a pigeon, and ensure all of my direct reports complete their timesheets every week without having to be reminded. I ran inside and practically begged the guy behind the counter to put that dessert in my life.

I got my dessert wrapped up to go (almost everything is to go in NYC)  then W wanted to go into 7-11 so we did that. There was some guy just standing there talking to himself, rapping, and blocking the door so we had to yell at him to move so we could get in the store. Then we had to yell at him again when we wanted to get out. It’s acceptable to yell at people in NYC. Awkward.

Finally, we went back to the hotel and moved around in our room until it was time for bed.

Before I fell asleep I said a prayer thanking God for that strawberry tart. Mostly I thanked God that I could not just walk around getting one of those in GA (that I’m aware of). That thing was dangerous and should’ve come with a caution or something like Warning: Consuming this dessert will cause big backs and buckled knees. Your thighs will never divorce each other.  Shame will be your middle name. Now put down the strawberry tart and walk away. Thank you.

The offensive strawberry tart

IMG_7723-L.jpg

IMG_7725-L.jpg

IMG_7719-L.jpg

Omg, potty train a pigeon! Tonite in my prayers I’m gonna give some thanks for another Willdra review🙏

• Haha 2