Odyssey vs Celebrity Silhouette?

29 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I has thought this as well... until I sailed on my first S Class sailing on Silhouette this past January. RCI Q Class vs.Celebrity S Class were surprisingly night and day imo!

I found Silhouette dark in most inner public spaces, except for Horizons. It has an inner focus.

Odyssey is totally opposite... bright, fun, and with an outer focus with fabulous views everywhere.

Horizons?

42 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I has thought this as well... until I sailed on my first S Class sailing on Silhouette this past January. RCI Q Class vs.Celebrity S Class were surprisingly night and day imo!

I found Silhouette dark in most inner public spaces, except for Horizons. It has an inner focus.

Odyssey is totally opposite... bright, fun, and with an outer focus with fabulous views everywhere.

10000000000000% Odyssey... hands down winner not even close

We dont really cruise for the decor of the ship. We are more interested in the food, itinerary snd the service. And less kids around the pool. But it is in September so maybe there are much less kids on Royal. How was the food and service Silhouette vs Odessey?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bajathree said:

I think Odyssey has the best solarium in the fleet.

I like Harmony's the best.  The absence of a pool is a detraction to some but for me who never goes in the pool it's an asset. More seating and fewer people 🙂 

2 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

We dont really cruise for the decor of the ship. We are more interested in the food, itinerary snd the service. And less kids around the pool. But it is in September so maybe there are much less kids on Royal. How was the food and service Silhouette vs Odessey?

There are always lots of kids on RCI’s newer ships no matter what time of year it is. The only way to avoid lots of kids on RCI is to cruise on their older ships like Vision class. The number of kids also tend to be lower on TA and TP cruises. 

10 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Odyssey solarium is the same as other Quantum class (Quantum, Anthem, Ovation) and Quantum Ultra class (Spectrum), right?

Yes....but the family pool on Odyssey is not enclosed like it is on the others.

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have heard Quantum class called the bastard child of Radiance and Solstice class.  😄 

Well, Odyssey turned out quite nicely in spite of being illegitimate.🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bajathree said:

lol....we love Odyssey...sorry she left FL

I'd love to have her back in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess I really like Odyssey since it is the first ship to make me actually contemplate doing a sailing out of NJ.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 8:01 AM, Cruiscs said:

Correct but looking at other options

We've been on both classes.  Silhouette is our favorite ship overall of any we've been on.  It's also been "revolutionized"  so more up to date than other "S" class ships.  We spent 23 days on Anthem, same class as Odyssey and have to say we enjoy Silhouette more.  No doubt there are more bells & whistles on the newer Odyssey but on a port intensive Med cruise I would go with Celebrity every time.  Specialty restaurants are better, MDR better, Luminae (if you are in a suite is better than Coastal Kitchen).  Entertainment is good on both, probably better on Anthem, but again on a port intensive cruise that's not as important.

Either way you will have a great time so probably just pick whatever itinerary you like more.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

We've been on both classes.  Silhouette is our favorite ship overall of any we've been on.  It's also been "revolutionized"  so more up to date than other "S" class ships.  We spent 23 days on Anthem, same class as Odyssey and have to say we enjoy Silhouette more.  No doubt there are more bells & whistles on the newer Odyssey but on a port intensive Med cruise I would go with Celebrity every time.  Specialty restaurants are better, MDR better, Luminae (if you are in a suite is better than Coastal Kitchen).  Entertainment is good on both, probably better on Anthem, but again on a port intensive cruise that's not as important.

Either way you will have a great time so probably just pick whatever itinerary you like more.

Thanks. We will go for Silhouette. Have booked Murano, Lawn Club grill and Tuscan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Thanks. We will go for Silhouette. Have booked Murano, Lawn Club grill and Tuscan. 

If you haven't done "La Petit Chef"  it's fun and the food is good.  It's a one time only kind of place because the menu & script don't change but fun once.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Horizons?

My bad.... Sky Lounge. Horizons is on another ship.

9 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

We are more interested in the food, itinerary snd the service. And less kids around the pool. But it is in September so maybe there are much less kids on Royal. How was the food and service Silhouette vs Odessey?

Ah... not typical to 30's something. Then in your case, Silhouette for food and itinerary (Istanbul overnight 👍)  for sure. Be sure to book Le Petit Chef for one night.

15 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

And there you go. Have a great cruise

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

My bad.... Sky Lounge. Horizons is on another ship.

Ah... not typical to 30's something. Then in your case, Silhouette for food and itinerary (Istanbul overnight 👍)  for sure. Be sure to book Le Petit Chef for one night.

And there you go. Have a great cruise

Yes for now. Silhouette has 2 more nights and are cheaper than Royal. Would love to sail on Odyssey soon but maybe in the Caribbean.

Edited by Cruiscs

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'd love to have her back in Ft. Lauderdale. I guess I really like Odyssey since it is the first ship to make me actually contemplate doing a sailing out of NJ.

I was hoping Royal would replace Anthem with Ovation since both have the same characteristics and an indoor pool.  For those that have sailed Odyssey, how is she different from the other Q classes.  I've got a couple of bookings on Odyssey in March '25 and January '26.  

Posted (edited)

We’re also a couple in our 30’s no kids, and booked that Odyssey cruise for September nearly two years ago. Been planning for a longtime, and it’s less than 90 days away now. 50% of the excursions are booked but there’s still enough time to plan if you take this cruise.

It’s 9 nights and I initially thought it would be a more mature atmosphere with less children, but I actually think now there’ll be a lot of kids onboard. Our Wonder cruise in February was very crowded with kids from around the world. I tend not to complain about these things, but it was honestly overwhelming on deck 14-15. Parents took the sea days off and their unsupervised kids were running barefoot shirtless near the windjammer, running into people knocking food and drinks out of people’s hands. Pushing all the elevator buttons and running off screaming. Probably will consider Celebrity in the future after this Odyssey cruise. 

Edited by Thisguylikestocruise

1 minute ago, Thisguylikestocruise said:

We’re also a couple in our 30’s no kids, and booked that Odyssey cruise for September nearly two years ago. Been planning for a longtime, and it’s less than 90 days away now. 50% of the excursions are booked but there’s still enough time to plan if you take this cruise.

It’s 9 nights and I initially thought it would be a more mature atmosphere with less children, but I actually think now there’ll be a lot of kids onboard. Our Wonder cruise in February was very crowded with kids from around the world. I tend not to complain about these things, but it was honestly overwhelming on deck 14-15. Parents took the sea days off and their kids were running barefoot shirtless near the windjammer, running into people knocking food and drinks out of people’s hands. Probably will consider Celebrity in the future after this Odyssey cruise. 

This. Looved Wonder in the Med in 2022. Brand new ship and that central park❤️. But there were a ton of kids. Didnt bother us too much, but would prefer less kids. Edge was more relaxing although there were a fair amount of families with young children there as well - but is was during high season. 
Would not hesitate to go back on a Royal ship in the future. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, nelblu said:

For those that have sailed Odyssey, how is she different from the other Q classes.  I've got a couple of bookings on Odyssey in March '25 and January '26.  

Odyssey - Playmakers, El Loco Fresh, Teppanyaki, two outdoor pools, a single 2 level MDR, Giovanni's Italian, Giovanni's Wine Bar 

Anthem - Johnny Rockets, aft outdoor WJ seating, indoor pool, 4 MDRs, Jaimie's Italian, Vintages

Have not sailed Odyssey yet, but will be doing the Rome to Cape Liberty TA this fall.

Edited by Another_Critic

2 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

2 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

I think you made the right decision with what you are looking for.  While Odyssey is a beautiful ship with lots to do we always felt much more crowded on it than Silhouette.  There always seemed to be a line for everything and many more kids.  

If you aren't looking to do the bumper cars, ifly, North star, etc go for Silhouette.

I would second, or is it third, try La Petit Chef, amazing what they do with the animation.

9 minutes ago, akcruz said:

I think you made the right decision with what you are looking for.  While Odyssey is a beautiful ship with lots to do we always felt much more crowded on it than Silhouette.  There always seemed to be a line for everything and many more kids.  

If you aren't looking to do the bumper cars, ifly, North star, etc go for Silhouette.

I would second, or is it third, try La Petit Chef, amazing what they do with the animation.

Is it similar to Wonderland? How did you enjoy Silhouette the ship itself?

On 6/16/2024 at 7:41 AM, bajathree said:

Odyssey of the seas in basically a Solstice series ships.....which is what Silhouette is. So essentially they are similar ships. Odyssey however will have all the Royal bells and whistles. Odyssey is also more high tech and has more similar Edge like features mixed in. 

Bottom line if you want a more chill and laid back feel then Silhouette. If you want more a fun feel mixed with Edge like technology....then Odyssey.

Not trying to argue, but...   Having been on the sister ship to both the Odyssey and Solstice, I can say that the ships are very different.   Far more different than similar.

My input:

The Silhouette is the 'ol classic style of cruise ship.  It is focused on relaxation.  It has a nice indoor pool area if needed.  It has the two centrums, one by each elevator bank rather than the open promenade or Esplanade on most Royal ships.  It has the nice lawn area up top, and I love the aft Sunset bar. Sport and activity venues are almost non existent, not even a putt putt course.  We were just on the sister ship The Equinox 6 months ago and honestly it felt a little dated and sleepy.

The Quantum (and Quantum Ultra) class are a lot bigger that Solstice with far more to offer.  The 270 venue in the back is pretty stellar.  Love that it still has a nice large multi-story open area (Esplanade) in the center of the ship along with the 2 story Music Hall.  The solarium on the Quantum classes is FANTASTIC and has the nice quiet complimentary Solarium Bistro attached.  Besides that there is a TON to do on the ship as far as activities.  Then you have the internal Seaplex with Playmakers. Also, Royal's entertainment in the main theater is far superior to what we saw on Equinox this past December.

If it was purely about the ship the Odyssey wins hands down in my opinion.  The Silhouette isn't bad though, still very nice, but just much quieter.

All that being said, the Med. is about the ports and you spend a LOT of time off the ship so you have to balance what's most important to you... itinerary or ship.  Maybe you can find a combo of both

5 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

.  We were just on the sister ship The Equinox 6 months ago and honestly it felt a little dated and sleepy.

Silhouette went through the complete "revolutionizing" while Equinox did not.  So that makes a difference in the "dated" look of the 2 ships.  Equinox DID just complete a dry dock a few weeks ago where most public areas recieved some updates (carpet, seating).  We've been on both too but prefer Silhouette.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Silhouette went through the complete "revolutionizing" while Equinox did not.  So that makes a difference in the "dated" look of the 2 ships.  Equinox DID just complete a dry dock a few weeks ago where most public areas recieved some updates (carpet, seating).  We've been on both too but prefer Silhouette.

That is great info and I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

Looking the press release, the refurb definitely freshened everything up and has it looking fresh and new.  That's excellent and I wish we could have experienced that more recently on the Equinox. We were on the Navigator just a few weeks after it was AMPED back in 2019 and it was like a brand new ship compared to our previous sailing on her...  Absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately for many, the Retreat area on the Silhouette now removes access to more of the ship unless you spend the $$$ on a suite to gain access.  Just me, but I'm not a fan of large portions of a ship being off limits unless you pay to play.  I feel the same with NCL and MSC doing similar.  The Silhouette isn't a huge ship to begin with, so taking away public space is a detriment to us since we don't sail suites.  Having said that, besides the freshening up, I think the bulk of my comparison still applies.  I'm not trying to knock the Solstice class, even though it probably sounds that way :).  They are great ships too, just different.  Depends on what you're going after.

https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/press-release/1156/celebrity-silhouette-completes-dramatic-bow-to-stern-modernization/#:~:text=All staterooms and suites have,TVs%2C upgraded amenities and more.

22 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not trying to argue, but...   Having been on the sister ship to both the Odyssey and Solstice, I can say that the ships are very different.   Far more different than similar.

My input:

The Silhouette is the 'ol classic style of cruise ship.  It is focused on relaxation.  It has a nice indoor pool area if needed.  It has the two centrums, one by each elevator bank rather than the open promenade or Esplanade on most Royal ships.  It has the nice lawn area up top, and I love the aft Sunset bar. Sport and activity venues are almost non existent, not even a putt putt course.  We were just on the sister ship The Equinox 6 months ago and honestly it felt a little dated and sleepy.

The Quantum (and Quantum Ultra) class are a lot bigger that Solstice with far more to offer.  The 270 venue in the back is pretty stellar.  Love that it still has a nice large multi-story open area (Esplanade) in the center of the ship along with the 2 story Music Hall.  The solarium on the Quantum classes is FANTASTIC and has the nice quiet complimentary Solarium Bistro attached.  Besides that there is a TON to do on the ship as far as activities.  Then you have the internal Seaplex with Playmakers. Also, Royal's entertainment in the main theater is far superior to what we saw on Equinox this past December.

If it was purely about the ship the Odyssey wins hands down in my opinion.  The Silhouette isn't bad though, still very nice, but just much quieter.

All that being said, the Med. is about the ports and you spend a LOT of time off the ship so you have to balance what's most important to you... itinerary or ship.  Maybe you can find a combo of both

Thanks. We would like to try Odyssey one day but the fact it was much more expensive for a 9 night cruise on her  vs Silhouette 11 nights plus the overnight in Istanbul it was not hard to choose, We like the more relaxing vibe and the ports are more important than just the ship. 

1 minute ago, Cruiscs said:

Thanks. We would like to try Odyssey one day but the fact it was much more expensive for a 9 night cruise on her  vs Silhouette 11 nights plus the overnight in Istanbul it was not hard to choose, We like the more relaxing vibe and the ports are more important than just the ship. 

I think you made the right choice, and you would love either ship.  Truly.

Hope you have an amazing cruise!! I'm jealous of you cruising the Med.!

• Like 1