Lulu on the Quest!

I ran into the fluffy white dog whose harness proclaims “service dog” in the Observation Bar.  Lulu is cute, but many people do not like the idea of an animal on the ship (other than a guide dog for a blind person).  There are rumors flying around as to why Seabourn permits the owner, who seems quite nice by the way, to grant Lulu free range on the ship and a place on excursions. The most entertaining one I heard is that the owner is the on-board jeweler.

Anyone who has met Lulu and her owner in the past have any other rumors/valid information to share?

Linda

Update.  Yes, Lulu’s mommy is the in-house jewelry designer and it is written into her employment contract that the dog may accompany her wherever she goes on the ship. A highly reliable source provided this information.  Apparently, not all the crew are enchanted about having Lulu on board.

linda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lincslady said:

I wouldn't be, for one.  Very unhygienic.

Agreed - if the dog goes everywhere with the owner does is it allowed in the restaurants?

In any case CC has had long discussions before on this issue which effect passengers who have allergies to animal fur/hair in confined areas and the majority view was not in favour of animals on board.

We join Encore shortly and would not be amused.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caviarforme said:

Agreed - if the dog goes everywhere with the owner does is it allowed in the restaurants?

I cannot say that this specific dog is entering restaurants, but certainly there was a dog on Sojourn around two years ago that went everywhere, inncluding restaurants. It actually sat on chairs in SB Square and the O Lounge. I wasn't onboard but our very good friends were, and I have no reason to disbelieve their account. 

I wonder if this is the same dog and owner - I believe it was a fairly elderly lady who owned the dog on that cruise, so I would have thought that someone working on board would be likely to be below retiring age?

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I wonder if this is the same dog and owner - I believe it was a fairly elderly lady who owned the dog on that cruise, so I would have thought that someone working on board would be likely to be below retiring age?

I think this may be a different dog.

Edited by Isklaar

I wonder why someone who needs a service dog would work on a ship which is not close to serious medical care should the need arise.  If one is visually impaired, how do they design jewelry?  If it is a comfort dog, again, why would one sail if luxury sailing requires the need to be comforted.  Are you afraid of water?  It's very confusing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

I wonder why someone who needs a service dog would work on a ship which is not close to serious medical care should the need arise.  If one is visually impaired, how do they design jewelry?  If it is a comfort dog, again, why would one sail if luxury sailing requires the need to be comforted.  Are you afraid of water?  It's very confusing.

I think the answer is that this dog is not a service dog, just a personal pet with a fake harness.

• Like 8

We recently did a HAL cruise. After spending the first 3 days in our room curled in a foetal position, we discovered a couple in their 70s with an “assistance” dog. The pomeranian variety was kept in the basket of her wheelie walker so we assumed it was hers.

Each day there seemed to be a relaxation of their containment of the dog. It went from the walker to his arms, to the floor, to the seat next to them, to eating from their hands to eating off the table licking plates. Other guests were approaching patting it as it jumped up on the back of couches to greet them. Often it trotted along behind them around the ship.

I believed other than guide dogs, that assistance dogs were trained to provide help to a specific family member and others were not to interact as it should not be treated as a pet. It seems there are various shades of grey as in life.

We live in an apartment and many people have dogs. We love dogs and have had several when we had a house.

Guide/assistance dogs yes. Comfort dogs no unless contained somewhere below for a ship repositioning/transatlantic etc. like other animals in transit or quarantine.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, firsttimers68 said:

I wouldn't be overly thrilled with a dog on board, but such is life.

I, for one, am getting really tired of being expected to accept the unacceptable. 

• Like 4

This is from Seabourn's accessibility terms:

Seabourn only permits service animals on board, defined as those animals that are individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. We do not permit our guests to bring pets, therapy/companion animals, and other animals that do not meet the definition of service animals.

Be glad you have just A dog onboard.

Today on the Silver Shadow, two men (I won't use gentlemen) walked into La Terrazza for lunch, each with a large poodle on a long leash.

Sometimes I think the ADA was the worst law ever passed by Congress, right behind the income tax.  Well intentioned, but fatally flawed.

12 hours ago, AveSaloon said:

Today on the Silver Shadow, two men (I won't use gentlemen) walked into La Terrazza for lunch, each with a large poodle on a long leash.

12 hours ago, lincslady said:

This is getting beyond a joke!

Two men walk into a restaurant with poodles on leashes...

• Haha 6

Lulu’s mommy is much younger than the average Seabourn passenger, so this is a different dog. 

Another woman had the dog in her lap on the pool deck the other day.

I nearly tripped over Lulu in the outdoor portion of the Colonnade yesterday. So many of use are one fall away from never traveling again. Cobblestones and ruins are one thing…

Linda

• Like 1

Yes, probably as mentioned someone working on the ship.  Therefore, definitely not a needed dog for someone disabled!   The thin end of the wedge is getting wider.  I think if I were on board I would complain to management, and contact SB when I got home, as most right minded people would feel that pet dogs and cruise ships do not blend well.  Plus, as far as I know, they are not allowed according to cruising rules.

• Like 2

I wonder if this is the same white fluffy dog that was on our Norway cruise on the Ovation last June. (What say you, @SLSD?) I don't remember what the owner looked like, but her traveling companion was an older guy - well, maybe my age 🤷‍♂️🤣 - who was always dressed in a coat and maybe tie, even on the excursions. The dog even went up one to the top of one the lighthouses with us! Hey, @whystayhome, imagine the dog on Magdalena Island with those penguins. (Hint: We did part of the walk with you!) Cheers, Herb and Mary