Why restructured loyalty program?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My info is from watching the show , they look like they are in slow motion 

The Voyager has the ice rink since the ship was launched way before the Oasis class ships 

Thanks for your opinion. Slow motion? We have seen the Ice shoes many times. I even have videos and it sure wasn't in slow motion. LOL

Edited by asctony
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I hope you’re wrong, but I fear you are right. 

hoping  I am wrong as well..

if the alcohol perks were deleted wonder how appealing crossover would be?

24 minutes ago, Oxo said:

RCI has had professional skaters in the Ice Shows ever since the Oasis came out in 2009 and the other Oasis Class ships have the shows. There are a minimum of 2 shows per 7 day cruise. So, I don't know where you get your info from on the rink is way to small for them to do anything? 

Happy Cruising! 

Those who are able to attend " big" ice shows  in major venues, can easily compare.  On Oasis we had to line up for tix and then the show..It was  ok but not  top pro ice show level  and not worth waiting for...Probably cute for kids!

Same for the diving show!   It was amateur level... guess it depends on the experience  level of the  divers! Again..not worth the wait..nothing awesome..

although both skating and diving on a moving ship is probably quite challenging!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

My info is from watching the show , they look like they are in slow motion 

The Voyager has the ice rink since the ship was launched way before the Oasis class ships 

You are from Canada and I know you cannot mean that - 'they look like they are in slow motion.'

These are skaters from Russia and many European Countries. 

Like they say - 'you can please some of the people some of the time, while some people cannot be pleased anytime.' 

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

hoping  I am wrong as well..

if the alcohol perks were deleted wonder how appealing crossover would be?

Those who are able to attend " big" ice shows  in major venues, can easily compare.  On Oasis we had to line up for tix and then the show..It was  ok but not  top pro ice show level  and not worth waiting for...Probably cute for kids!

Same for the diving show!   It was amateur level... guess it depends on the experience  level of the  divers! Again..not worth the wait..nothing awesome..

although both skating and diving on a moving ship is probably quite challenging!

Amateurs? Another opinion. Everyone has an opinion. 

If they are amateurs, why doesn't Celebrity hire the cheap help? LOL

Let me know when you are going to join the Ice Show or Aqua Shows as an amateur. I would pay to see that. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tfred said:

How would they be ruining the Z lunch with just more people?

retreat lounge is technically off limits to crossovers but that has to be enforced 

the cost of the program has to be measured against the cost of existing pax drifting to non RCG lines. Time will tell. 

my concern (as in airline clubs) is over crowding with the DYKWIA crowd bulldozing their way into a small venue. 

How would they be ruining the lunch? It has been a nice, small gathering with officers attending, held in a specialty restaurant or Blu. A great chance to interact with officers and fellow Zeniths. Now on most sailings it will likely be a very large, no longer intimate gathering held in the MDR.  A huge difference.  I'd love to be wrong but I doubt it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

My opinion

Just another step towards full Royalization and obliteration of the unique X brand   .More crossovers will cross from Royal (by sheer numbers), and they will push to make X a clone of Royal... other than X has  nicer ships!

I agree. And honestly I just don't get it. Royal keeps releasing huge megaships they need to continue to fill.  So why in the world are they trying to push people over to Celebrity?! The brand we all knew and loved is being Royalized. It's truly painful.  People lecture that if you don't like the changes look for other options. Unfortunately most comparable to what Celebrity used to be are too expensive or too small for me. And after 80 cruises on Celebrity it saddens me very much to see this happen.  I had hoped to spend my remaining time enjoying my cruises. I haven't jumped ship yet but for the first time in 30 years I am considering elsewhere.

• Like 3

Not to say that this new implementation will not be without its problems. But, this topic reminds me of way back when the Retreat Lounge (still called Michael's Club) had very few Zeniths and zero Sky Suite passengers.When X decided to open it up to the Sky Suiters, there was a similar hue and cry that the lounge would be overcrowded, and the experience ruined for everyone else. I did not personally notice that much of a difference. Yes, there were more folks in the Retreat Lounge -- but it never seemed overcrowded. Celebrity had anticipated the need for more staff there. Hopefully, this will be a similarly smooth transition.

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

You are from Canada and I know you cannot mean that - 'they look like they are in slow motion.'

These are skaters from Russia and many European Countries. 

Like they say - 'you can please some of the people some of the time, while some people cannot be pleased anytime.' 

It looks like you are in the latter when it comes to CC  perks 

9 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It looks like you are in the latter when it comes to CC  perks 

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. SMH 

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

Amateurs? Another opinion. Everyone has an opinion. 

If they are amateurs, why doesn't Celebrity hire the cheap help? LOL

Let me know when you are going to join the Ice Show or Aqua Shows as an amateur. I would pay to see that. 

living near NYC we have seen  dozens  and more prof ice  shows with Olympic level skaters since age 5..and with our own child abd now grands  . Many shows were in Madison Sq Garden or Coliseum size venues,   so lesser shows on a smaller rink are just not the same for us. Cruise skating shows are just not like Disney on ice

like  comparing Broadway or West  End talent  (Cunard) or Prof Ballet with Celeb Singers and Dancers..( A for effort)

Still nice for a cruise ship but not the same.no need to argue.. btw..my skating days are long over!

• Like 1

Just now, hcat said:

living near NYC we have seen  dozens  and more prof ice  shows with Olympic level skaters since age 5..and with our own child abd now grands  . Many shows were in Madison Sq Garden or Coliseum size venues,   so lesser shows on a smaller rink are just not the same for us. Cruise skating shows are just not like Disney on ice

like  comparing Broadway or West  End talent  (Cunard) or Prof Ballet with Celeb Singers and Dancers..( A for effort)

Still nice for a cruise ship but not the same.no need to argue.. btw..my skating days are long over!

What can I say? I personally believe that the Ice Shows and Aqua Shows on RCI are great, regardless. I have not found anything on any other cruise line to match them. Have you?

Why is it when someone disagrees, it is considered arguing? Done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree. And honestly I just don't get it. Royal keeps releasing huge megaships they need to continue to fill.  So why in the world are they trying to push people over to Celebrity?! The brand we all knew and loved is being Royalized.

I have the opposite view as far as Celebrity being Royalized.

Royal’s smaller ships (like Grandeur for example) probably should be retired. On top of that, I would imagine operating Grandeur is way different than the planning that goes into operating Icon.

By opening up the loyalty programs, Royal can focus on huge ships and entertainment. Celebrity can focus on smaller ships, food, and a higher level of service. I feel it is more likely that the two brands will be less similar rather than becoming essentially one entity.

Of course there is the added (business) benefit that the Royal cruisers who want smaller ships can take their dollars to Celebrity instead of a competitor. Which obviously was a major factor in deciding to make the changes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ch175 said:

By opening up the loyalty programs, Royal can focus on huge ships and entertainment. Celebrity can focus on smaller ships, food, and a higher level of service. I feel it is more likely that the two brands will be less similar rather than becoming essentially one entity.

Having eaten in the buffet and main dining room on both cruise lines numerous times, I hope Royal never degrades Celebrity's MDR and buffet to the level of Royal's.  I know they came close not long after the restart and Celebrity cruisers were in an uproar.  I do not mind Royal retiring older ships and it would be nice to have a Celebrity ship replace the Royal ship in Baltimore, thinking selfishly but please .. I hope you are right they will be more and more less similar going forward, and I am not just talking about the size of the ships but the value offer onboard each. 

Why? Because the goal of the program isn’t to reward loyalty but to retain customers. The structure that capped at Elite/Diamond could actually discourage existing RCG customers from going to the other line. Maybe emotion over logic, but that’s likely what their data and surveys show. 

Almost no cost at the RCG level and a Celebrity Zenith traveling with family or friends can get most of their benefits on Royal rather than looking at Princess or Norwegian. Or go to Silversea instead of Regent for a luxury experience. 

And from an RCG standpoint if Pinnacles decide to start cruising Celebrity that’s a win. They’re not going to a competitor. And if they’ve made Pinnacle and are considering other cruise lines (not talking the 180 day a year multiple line folks) you’d have to consider them a likely loss anyway. Might as well try to keep them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have to start with, there have been many great points that as a RCCL Pinnacle, I did not know or pick up in my previous research.

As I have found, the benefits being better on one line over the other really depends on your cruising style. 

For those at the E/D and E+/D+ level it seems to me to depend on your alcohol/non-alcoholic drinks and internet usage consumption paradigm.

As for Pinnacle/Zenith, I think there was an effort on the part of RCG to move the growing number of dissatisfied group of Pinnacle that felt slighted because they were locked out of Coastal Kitchen (CK). There was lots of talk of leaving to someone that matched upper tier level like MSC and Virgin (most of these Pinnacle prefer less kids and less amusement park at sea)

This move to full recipricle matching was an attempt by RCG to keep that money in house.  Although we may not spend alot on extras, we sail 8++ weeks a year.  Btw as a side note we actually spend more on add ons since we became Pinnacle w/BOGO's etc.

I have now managed to book our first X cruise in early Nov which fits in between my 24 weeks book now to March 2026 on Royal.

I hope we can fit in at X and not create problems. Happy cruising everyone:)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Oxo said:

What can I say? I personally believe that the Ice Shows and Aqua Shows on RCI are great, regardless. I have not found anything on any other cruise line to match them. Have you?

Hi,

Yes, the ice shows and water shows on RCL are AWESOME

and my wife and I often see the same show twice.

However, yes you can see better ice/water shows (as one 

person commented) BUT they failed to mention that they

usually pay $$$$ to see them They are FREE on RCL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oxo said:

We don't cruise for those particular experiences.. but great for those who enjoy them at sea.  I agree however, .enough said and done

Back to one of the main  points being discussed regarding crossover,  is potential crowding at events..No one  has presented data.  We will not reach ZENITH or PINNACLE  so I do not know how those events will be affected by crossover in the long term

We do know that the regular Cap Club events are very crowded and we have skipped those for many years..

.Now the Elite Sr Officers events have become crowded as well..so we usually just stop by and head for a less busy location   Used to be very  nice  intimate social  gathering..but now seems  it's more frequently about customer retention!

We only have 2 cruises booked ahead on X.. Have been looking but not ready to book just yet!. 

12 hours ago, Oxo said:

Stick with what ever you like and please DON'T MOVE.

On 6/17/2024 at 7:49 PM, mahasamatman said:

It's funny how people in each of the programs are overreacting that their favourite cruise line is giving away the crown jewels and will be totally destroyed by the status match program. It's especially bad over in the Silversea forum.

If I could afford the time and money it takes to reach Pinnacle or Zenith I wouldn't give a damn about free drinks and laundry. As a matter of fact I think I do better not being loyal to anyone and just finding the best deal. Most of the perks are designed to make you spend more money by offering you a small discount. With that said this new program does benefit me as out of the 3 lines we sail on Royal and Celebrity are two of them.

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

If I could afford the time and money it takes to reach Pinnacle or Zenith I wouldn't give a damn about free drinks and laundry. As a matter of fact I think I do better not being loyal to anyone and just finding the best deal. Most of the perks are designed to make you spend more money by offering you a small discount. With that said this new program does benefit me as out of the 3 lines we sail on Royal and Celebrity are two of them.

Just curious. What perks are designed to make you spend more money?

We are Elite+ and the main perks for us are:

1) Unlimited speciality coffee/teas/chocolate - you can't upgrade it. A pure money saver.

2) 240 minutes each free wifi - more than we need for a cruise. A pure money saver.

3) 2 bags of free laundry, some pressing and dry cleaning. - you can't upgrade it. A pure money saver.

The unlimited coffees plus the water/sodas/juices collected every day between 5 and 7 must save us a minimum of $30 a day each.

Many other Posters (not us as we don't drink alcohol) have said that the Elite+ benefits has enabled them to drop the Drinks Package so again a real saving.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Just curious. What perks are designed to make you spend more money?

We are Elite+ and the main perks for us are:

1) Unlimited speciality coffee/teas/chocolate - you can't upgrade it. A pure money saver.

2) 240 minutes each free wifi - more than we need for a cruise. A pure money saver.

3) 2 bags of free laundry, some pressing and dry cleaning. - you can't upgrade it. A pure money saver.

The unlimited coffees plus the water/sodas/juices collected every day between 5 and 7 must save us a minimum of $30 a day each.

Many other Posters (not us as we don't drink alcohol) have said that the Elite+ benefits has enabled them to drop the Drinks Package so again a real saving.

The discounts along the way.

example Elite Plus

15% off specialty dining

15% off spa treatments

35% off of WiFi package

20% off drink package and 15% off of upgrading the drink package

I book all inclusive so drink package discounts and WiFi are a moot point. Don't do Spa treatments and you can usually get a larger discount on board for specialty dining if they are trying to fill the rooms not to mention all of the discounts they offer you after you book. I live in Florida so even a free 7 day Caribbean cruise doesn't compel me to be loyal and chase points. I don't even like the Edge Class ships with the roll down window balconies so the Retreat isn't an incentive.  

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't even like the Edge Class ships with the roll down window balconies so the Retreat isn't an incentive.  

Don’t all the suite cabins have real balconies , so the  Retreat be an incentive to book , if you want that a real balcony  🤔

• Like 1