Eclipse - Anytime Dining problem

We (and another couple) originally booked the repo cruise in October on Eclipse, both couples choosing Anytime Dining, which we always do.

Last week, friends decided to also book and were unable to get the Anytime dining (sold out?), even though they linked all of our reservations to theirs.

They are convinced that if they show up with us on day 1, they will be seated with us, even though their reservations will say 8:30 dining.

I say that they either need to contact Celebrity now and change to Anytime dining or go immediately to the main dining room upon getting on ship to change.  Again, they want to just arrive at dinner with us the first night.

Since I have no desire to change to late seating, my question is if anyone has ever had a similar experience?  If they do nothing and are turned away the first night, it will be no way to start a cruise.

I'm no where near a newbie as far as cruising goes, but want to be prepared and think that, if I get some responses that agree with my way of thinking, maybe I can sway the other couple before we cruise.

Thanks

• Like 1

I completely agree with your thinking.  Call now and ask to be wait listed for select dining.  Generally they will clear these before sailing.  If not then go directly to MDR on boarding and request the change.  They may not be able to accommodate the first night but generally work it out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I completely agree with your thinking.

Me too.

3 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree. Can't hurt to call followed up with an early trip to talk with the maître d.

Yep.  We cruised with my wife's brother & wife, and they - despite all sorts of prior discussion - still messed up the dining to match ours.  My wife called Celebrity but we also ended up just going to the Maitre D early in the first evening to truly sort it out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mduffy1834 said:

We (and another couple) originally booked the repo cruise in October on Eclipse, both couples choosing Anytime Dining, which we always do.

Last week, friends decided to also book and were unable to get the Anytime dining (sold out?), even though they linked all of our reservations to theirs.

They are convinced that if they show up with us on day 1, they will be seated with us, even though their reservations will say 8:30 dining.

I say that they either need to contact Celebrity now and change to Anytime dining or go immediately to the main dining room upon getting on ship to change.  Again, they want to just arrive at dinner with us the first night.

Since I have no desire to change to late seating, my question is if anyone has ever had a similar experience?  If they do nothing and are turned away the first night, it will be no way to start a cruise.

I'm no where near a newbie as far as cruising goes, but want to be prepared and think that, if I get some responses that agree with my way of thinking, maybe I can sway the other couple before we cruise.

Thanks

They should definitely go to the maitre’d as soon as you board and most likely they will arrange it.  In the chance that they don’t, the later booking couple should admit their mistake and apologize.  It is not a good way to start if they just assume because of them everyone else should just capitulate.  I certainly know what I would and would not do.

8 hours ago, mduffy1834 said:

Thanks

On Eclipse one of the "lifeboat drill " check in points is Deck 4 of the MDR. As soon as that Check in is finished the Any Time Dining Desk will open - be first in the line, don't wait until later.

@mduffy1834

You are correct in your advice to your latecomer friends!

Have you tried reserving times for your anytime dining since you have everyone's #s? If reservations are linked it just might be a workaround if you do it since you are booked in select. 

I had the same issue a few years ago that the select dining was sold out.  I emailed CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and they changed our reservation to select.  I found the email and the contact phone numbers are 

Phone: (800) 242-6374
Fax: (800) 882-8292

Of course the cruise was March 2020 and got cancelled anyway. 

good luck

Your reservations are linked so that may be enough to have your table set for the group.  Have you indicated a dining time?  You can set each time for each day under the Select Dining option.  So if your time is set it will be good for all the linked group.  As well as calling Celebrity which you say they're reluctant to do, there is a way for them to wait list online.  If they:

• call up their booking on the X site
  • click on manage reservation
  • under the dining seating time arrow down
  • there's an option in small type to 'wait list'

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t call Celebrity and waitlist for anytime AND also see the matre di as soon as you board.

Just makes sense.

I had a similar issue, where I booked the reservation over a year ago & it disappeared out of my cruise planner.  When I had called the 800 number they told me that I have open dining already selected on my reservation (they have no idea what happened to the specific times I booked) and that open dining allows me to waltz on in anytime between 6:00 - 9:30 pm.  They said it gives you the freedom in case you're delayed or want to deviate from your committed reservation to go at any time.  This was a concept they did many years ago wit RCCL who then decided with anytime dining you needed a reservation.  With that said, I did try for fun going on the website to pick a specific time, and there is no wait list, nor was their a waitlist while I was speaking to Celebrity.  The man said to just seek out the Maitre d or go to guest relations when you first board if you want a specific reservation. Otherwise just show up whenever you want & at most a 5-10 minute wait.

If you "just show up" during the most popular times (around 7:00), you're sure as heck not going to waltz right on in! Prepare yourself for a wait.

And as for Royal, reservations for My Time Dining have never been a requirement. We always make them, since we like dining during that peak 7:00 time window. But you can also leave it to chance. Hence, the two line-ups. One for "Reservations" and the second for "No Reservations."

If you have a strong preference for a particular time (on either line), do visit the maître d' as soon as he's available. They really do try to be accommodating.

If they are wait listing anytime this is a clear sign that more and more people are not choosing traditional dining and maybe it should come to an end. We haven't booked traditional since anytime was offered at the turn of the century.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 7:34 AM, TMLAalum said:

@mduffy1834

You are correct in your advice to your latecomer friends!

Have you tried reserving times for your anytime dining since you have everyone's #s? If reservations are linked it just might be a workaround if you do it since you are booked in select. 

I did try - was able to reserve the 2 couples with anytime dining but could not include the third couple as their dining was already "arranged".