Is It Possible To Lose OBC Bonus From Travel Agency?

I booked an Alaska cruise through an online travel agency and at the time of booking and placing the initial deposit, the bonus that was offered was $150 in OBC offered by Royal Caribbean + $125 in OBC that was offered by the travel agency for booking through them, so $275 in total.

Fast forward a week later, I noticed the price of the cruise had gone down and had called and asked about a price adjustment, which they did. What I didn't realize was that the price drop was due to the promos changing, and getting the price adjustment resulted in a change in the promos. RC was no longer offering the $150 bonus and the travel agency was only offering $100 OBC. 

The original deal ($275 OBC) ended up being the better of the two since the price only went down by around $50. I called and asked if it was possible to cancel the price match and go back to the old deal and they said they would try. They ended up being able to, and after making the final payment for the cruise my invoice did show that I was to receive $275 credit.

The problem I'm having now is that adding the cruise to my Royal Caribbean account and shopping around for add-ons, the site is only showing that I have $150 credit, so it seems the $125 bonus initially offered by the travel agency is gone.

Has anyone had this happen or something similar? Is it just a matter of giving them a call and having it corrected? Do I have any recourse if they won't honor the bonus?

It does happen and has happened to me before.  They don’t tell you that you will be losing your OBC and then you reprice it and you lose the OBC.  I always ask now when I reprice, but it has happened to me and I think that they should make sure that folks are aware before changing it.

Just now, Tlbecker1 said:

It does happen and has happened to me before.  They don’t tell you that you will be losing your OBC and then you reprice it and you lose the OBC.  I always ask now when I reprice, but it has happened to me and I think that they should make sure that folks are aware before changing it.

The OP went through a TA.  If the TA doesn't tell you, then it's time to find a new TA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham Solo said:

I booked an Alaska cruise through an online travel agency and at the time of booking and placing the initial deposit, the bonus that was offered was $150 in OBC offered by Royal Caribbean + $125 in OBC that was offered by the travel agency for booking through them, so $275 in total.

Fast forward a week later, I noticed the price of the cruise had gone down and had called and asked about a price adjustment, which they did. What I didn't realize was that the price drop was due to the promos changing, and getting the price adjustment resulted in a change in the promos. RC was no longer offering the $150 bonus and the travel agency was only offering $100 OBC. 

The original deal ($275 OBC) ended up being the better of the two since the price only went down by around $50. I called and asked if it was possible to cancel the price match and go back to the old deal and they said they would try. They ended up being able to, and after making the final payment for the cruise my invoice did show that I was to receive $275 credit.

The problem I'm having now is that adding the cruise to my Royal Caribbean account and shopping around for add-ons, the site is only showing that I have $150 credit, so it seems the $125 bonus initially offered by the travel agency is gone.

Has anyone had this happen or something similar? Is it just a matter of giving them a call and having it corrected? Do I have any recourse if they won't honor the bonus?

Have you called your TA and asked them.  

As mentioned, obc that the agency is providing may not show up until dsy 2 on board.  This is coming out of their commission so if you get price drops they get less commission and therefore they will likely offer less obc. 

There is other non promo obc that appears to cone from the TA that will show up in the cruise planner that could be affected by a reprice as well.

The only way you will know for sure is to ask your TA and thry are the only one that will be able to tell you the source of the obc and whether it was affected by the price drop.  

• Like 3

Gave them a call this morning and they confirmed that the TA portion of the OBC doesn't show up until a day or two after we get on the ship. Only the portion of the credits offered by RC show up for use right now in the cruise planner.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ham Solo said:

Usually, the TA OBC will not show up until you board and incur expenses.

Edited by nelblu

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Usually, the TA OBC will not show up until you board and incur expenses.

One of the reasons we stopped using TA's is that the TA OBC sometimes didn't show up at all on board, and we had to request that they send us a check weeks after a cruise ended.

22 minutes ago, orville99 said:

One of the reasons we stopped using TA's is that the TA OBC sometimes didn't show up at all on board, and we had to request that they send us a check weeks after a cruise ended.

One time my TA's OBC did not show up and GS allowed me to call them from the ship at no charge.  To say that I was impressed is an understatement.

s

• Like 1