Website PSA

Posted (edited)

I know this has been a topic that comes up every once in awhile…but I’m posting now because I was personally impacted today.

I have always used Chrome to do my NCL.com research and mock bookings.  And, I always get to the page where I select Travel Insurance and get the Grand Total for the cruise.  This is how I craft my email to my PCC with booking details and total due.  

Well, imagine my surprise today when my PCC contacted me to say that my Total did not include the Port Fees…which amounted to an additional $$650.  This is a very recent change for Chrome as I do mock bookings a lot.   At the moment Safari gives a Total including taxes/gratuities after selecting Travel Insurance.

My PCC told me she has reported this multiple times to mgmt as her clients are caught off guard, and supposedly something is being done.  I know I did some mock bookings a couple months ago where you had the option at the beginning to select tax included.

Anyway…just wanted others to be aware of the “hidden bottom line” if currently using Chrome to research.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i also noticed it in firefox too. it seems like norwegian is doing something shady to hide the port taxes and fees.

Actually it's likely just the opposite. They're probably making changes to the site to prepare for the new California "Honest Pricing Law", which is effective July 1. On that date the advertised price will have to include all mandatory charges including port taxes and fees.

• Like 4

@njhorseman Maybe so…I hope so.  However, today it felt “shady” to me since on all previous cruise bookings (9 since restart), I never had to add guest info for Port fees/taxes show up.  It def threw me for a loop.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

@njhorseman Maybe so…I hope so.  However, today it felt “shady” to me since on all previous cruise bookings (9 since restart), I never had to add guest info for Port fees/taxes show up.  It def threw me for a loop.  

They have no choice but to comply with the new law by July 1st so what would be their motive for being "shady"? 

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

They have no choice but to comply with the new law by July 1st so what would be their motive for being "shady"? 

I didn’t say they were being shady. I said I felt like it was shady.  I understand the requirement for CA change.  I also know that others in the past have reported being blindsided by Taxes/Fees not being visible until after you enter guest info. So this is not a new issue related to the transparency in pricing CA.

My post is simply to let others know that it found happen to them, so be aware.

I think that happened to me as well. I was checking prices for inside, oceanview, and balcony cabins. When I finally chose a cabin and booked, my total was more. The additional amount tied to the port taxes and fees that showed up on the final invoice. 

As a further rookie mistake, I thought I was putting down a deposit with final payment at the 120 day point. Imagine my surprise when the entire amount came up on my cc statement. I must have missed a box that was already checked “pay in full.” I will not make that mistake again. I was able to walk it back to only deposit easily enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I didn’t say they were being shady. I said I felt like it was shady.  I understand the requirement for CA change.  I also know that others in the past have reported being blindsided by Taxes/Fees not being visible until after you enter guest info. So this is not a new issue related to the transparency in pricing CA.

My post is simply to let others know that it found happen to them, so be aware.

You didn't use the word "shady" in your original post and my first post wasn't directed at you because I quoted the second poster, who was the first to use that word. 

So yes...your original post accomplished its mission of informing others. But then you inexplicably and unnecessarily jumped on the "shady" bandwagon after I replied to the other poster. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

But then you inexplicably and unnecessarily jumped on the "shady" bandwagon

Inexplicably, perhaps.  While I didn’t express my emotion in my original post, I chose to share in a latter post.  

Unnecessarily, not.  Since you quickly disqualified any “shady” practice by NCL, I wanted others, you in particular, to recognize how someone might feel like they were being duped by NCL’s practice of not disclosing the full cost until after one took the step to final payment. 

Edited by laudergayle
  • Haha 1

On 6/18/2024 at 2:59 PM, laudergayle said:

I know this has been a topic that comes up every once in awhile…but I’m posting now because I was personally impacted today.

I have always used Chrome to do my NCL.com research and mock bookings.  And, I always get to the page where I select Travel Insurance and get the Grand Total for the cruise.  This is how I craft my email to my PCC with booking details and total due.  

Well, imagine my surprise today when my PCC contacted me to say that my Total did not include the Port Fees…which amounted to an additional $$650.  This is a very recent change for Chrome as I do mock bookings a lot.   At the moment Safari gives a Total including taxes/gratuities after selecting Travel Insurance.

My PCC told me she has reported this multiple times to mgmt as her clients are caught off guard, and supposedly something is being done.  I know I did some mock bookings a couple months ago where you had the option at the beginning to select tax included.

Anyway…just wanted others to be aware of the “hidden bottom line” if currently using Chrome to research.

Best solution - use a decent browser instead of using chrome.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Open to recommendations, please.

Try Firefox. I just did a couple of mock bookings and the taxes and fees are displayed without having to enter passenger information.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

You can always read the fine print.

image.png.21ca1e26bddc25c53ad71f70f13b967d.png

Yes, I’m aware of the fine print.  The point of the original post was to share with others to be careful as the “fine print” totals may no longer be included in the total shown until after you proceed beyond the Names page.  This is what is different for some, not all people.  It appears to either be a glitch (or NCL test) based on what browser or hardware you are using.  

Posted (edited)

Good thing none of the competition does the same thing.

I got an email yesterday from Princess stating that they are changing how they display pricing for cruises on...

1 July.

Edited by Panhandle Couple

Isnt there a California law going into effect that basically will make cruises like airfare?  Total price has to be listed?

I always just goto the payment screen, which is a PITA to see the total, total.. Then I'll get an email and phone call wanting me to finish booking..  Even though I'm normally just checking prices to see if the total fare has gone down for my already paid for cruise lol.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Isnt there a California law going into effect that basically will make cruises like airfare?  Total price has to be listed?

I always just goto the payment screen, which is a PITA to see the total, total.. Then I'll get an email and phone call wanting me to finish booking..  Even though I'm normally just checking prices to see if the total fare has gone down for my already paid for cruise lol.. 

Well, the website now does include the total price - seems to have changed yesterday. I personally prefer to be able to look at just the cabin price, since the other stuff is the same, regardless of cabin. Much harder to determine if there is reduced solo pricing without actually doing a mock booking.

I search incognito, no follow-up calls or emails.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

Yes, that new law was cited back in post #3 over a week ago.

NCL had posted somewhere they were rolling out the new pricing info mandated by California on 25 or 26 Jun, not waiting till July 1. Makes sense to have that info out before the weekend and so they can address any glitch pes before the law kicks in.