Haven Perks

Hi all! We are heading to Alaska on the bliss in 11 days!!!! Last time we cruised in the haven, we had the opportunity to have lunch complimentary in the American Diner when it was still considered “specialty dining”. 
Now that the American Diner is complimentary, do Haven guests get anywhere special for lunch on day one? 

since you're staying in a haven suite, why would you consider anything other than the haven restaurant. you're avoiding  the crowds. But i would think that the buffet, one or both of the mdr's and o'sheehans would probably be open.

but again, if you're being offered champagne, why settle for a beer?

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

since you're staying in a haven suite, why would you consider anything other than the haven restaurant. you're avoiding  the crowds. But i would think that the buffet, one or both of the mdr's and o'sheehans would probably be open.

Because beer is better

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, complawyer said:

hey zqvol, how about if i amend my post. why accept beer if you're being offered single malt scotch.

if you're still hooked on the beer, i recommend the buffet (LOL)

Single malt scotch is worse than champagne.  A good single barrel bourbon might work. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, complawyer said:

Of course. Haven restaurant. Yes. Yum. I just wanted to opportunity to have a “free” specialty for lunch the way they did with American diner. They only allowed haven into the diner for lunch on day one so it was not crowded. Just curious. Thanks for all the responses. Can’t wait! 

44 minutes ago, Stelkp said:

Of course. Haven restaurant. Yes. Yum. I just wanted to opportunity to have a “free” specialty for lunch the way they did with American diner. They only allowed haven into the diner for lunch on day one so it was not crowded. Just curious. Thanks for all the responses. Can’t wait! 

One time just before the pandemic we got to the ship later than expected and the Haven restaurant was full. They sent us to Margaritaville and we were disappointed at first but then had a blast! We were the only ones there and the food was great! I do not know what they do now if the Haven restaurant is full.. 

2 hours ago, Stelkp said:

The American Diner is now complementary for everyone at lunch.  Also, the menu has changed and is more similar to what they have at The Local or O'Sheehans.  They made the change fleet-wide starting in January of this year.   

Haven on Bliss is wonderful.  Hope you have a great cruise!

The American Diner has some of the best desserts, on the "new" free, non-specialty dining menu. The rest of the food was great too, just not as noteworthy.

If you get sick of the Haven restaurant sometime during your cruise, it might be worth a visit. Especially if it's off-peak when they are not busy, just for the desert!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Stelkp You know, before I took my first Haven Cruise many years ago, I did what I always do, Studied All Things Haven.  If was interesting, fun and created anticipation. The first thing way back then a person told me was have Lunch in the Haven Restaurant the first lunch.  

I followed that advice and I really enjoyed it.  The next Haven Cruise, I did the complementary specialty restaurant and missed the Haven Restaurant. From that point forward, I only did the Haven Restaurant for lunch that first day, UNTIL.... I took my whole family and we stayed in the H2 Haven Deluxe Owners Suite.  My family insisted on going to the complementary specialty restaurant which just happened to be the American Diner. I like but did not love my lunch and my family hated their lunch.  

It is a tradition to have that first Lunch in the Haven Restaurant.  Takes for ever but perfect for that first lunch. Just my little story.

"Cruise Well and Enjoy Every Moment"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

Nothing nicer than a relaxed Haven lunch on embarkation day. Then a few drinks at the bar and then relax in the Horizon Lounge!

Enjoy it all! 

I can think of a few things...

1) Paying 1/3 of the cost of the people in the Haven and still getting amazing food and not having to cook or clean;

2) Drinking the free lemonade or ice water;

3) Walking around the ship and meeting new people!

It's all about perspective. You all enjoy that style of cruising, I enjoy my style. We can coexist. I don't envy you, and I sure hope that you didn't look down on me!

Plus, I have to imagine that the people in the Haven are subsidizing the cost of my cruise by paying so much. Thank you kindly!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

1) Paying 1/3 of the cost of the people in the Haven and still getting amazing food and not having to cook or clean;

It's all about perspective. You all enjoy that style of cruising, I enjoy my style. We can coexist. I don't envy you, and I sure hope that you didn't look down on me!

Plus, I have to imagine that the people in the Haven are subsidizing the cost of my cruise by paying so much. Thank you kindly!!

I like your reply

I would just add that on any given week, one could get a rowdy group in the haven and then it would not be so enjoyable, I have heard stories of badly behaving teens in the Haven.  

I am not sure I really like the idea of a ship within a ship concept. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I like your reply

I am not sure I really like the idea of a ship within a ship concept. 

First, thanks 😀 I like your reply too!

I definitely do not like the ship within a ship concept. Most of the ships have taken the entire bow and made it for the Haven/ Yacht Club/ etc. I miss being able to watch where the ship is going, without paying a lot more than I should afford! I wish that they would leave one deck open to regular passengers, on the bow.

3 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I definitely do not like the ship within a ship concept. Most of the ships have taken the entire bow and made it for the Haven/ Yacht Club/ etc. I miss being able to watch where the ship is going, without paying a lot more than I should afford! I wish that they would leave one deck open to regular passengers, on the bow.

No most of the NCL ships have not taken the entire bow for the Haven.  Many of  the NCL ships have an observation lounge on the forward part of the ship offering excellent views that are open to all passengers.  There are no NCL ships where the Haven takes up more than a small portion of three decks in the bow. The newest ships, Prima, Viva, Aqua, the Haven is on the aft end of the ship.   These three ships also have an observation lounge on deck 17 which wraps around 270 degrees open to all passengers.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

@TheBeardedCruiser You are posting to a question about your dislike with the Haven.  Your comment is about not liking the concept.  Where you have every right to purchase what you want, how you want and as much as you want; the comment does not support the question asked by the author.

The debate of to Haven (Retreat or Yacht Club) or not to has been on many threads on CruiseCritic.com and other social media platforms.  The Haven was/is my choice and I personally love the "Ship-Within-A-Ship" concept.  But I also respect your decision not to do so.  

The fact is, all the Mainstream Cruise Brands have these area's.  If any guest does not like it or is taken back by these area's; they can simple cruise another brand that does not have the area's. We all have choices, who is to say one choice is better then another.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sthrngary said:

@TheBeardedCruiser You are posting to a question about your dislike with the Haven.  Your comment is about not liking the concept.  Where you have every right to purchase what you want, how you want and as much as you want; the comment does not support the question asked by the author.

The debate of to Haven (Retreat or Yacht Club) or not to has been on many threads on CruiseCritic.com and other social media platforms.  The Haven was/is my choice and I personally love the "Ship-Within-A-Ship" concept.  But I also respect your decision not to do so.  

The fact is, all the Mainstream Cruise Brands have these area's.  If any guest does not like it or is taken back by these area's; they can simple cruise another brand that does not have the area's. We all have choices, who is to say one choice is better then another.  

One might as well complain about the mainstream cruise brands having balconies where some passengers can pay more to enjoy the better view while other passengers are stuck with ocean view or even inside cabins.

Or complain about the fact that some pay more for suites with more room.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I'm guessing you must really like Southwest Airlines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

One might as well complain about the mainstream cruise brands having balconies where some passengers can pay more to enjoy the better view while other passengers are stuck with ocean view or even inside cabins.

Or complain about the fact that some pay more for suites with more room.

@RocketMan275 Your are preaching to the choir.  I attempt, and it is not easy sometimes, to always play fair with posts/replies.  Even when the poster attempts to hijack a simple topic with an even simpler question being asked.  Then I have to remember, this forum is Social Media.  No one really knows who we are so off topic responses based on agenda's happen all the time.  The forum is designed to allow ALL opinions whether we like them or don't.  To each their own.  

I just wish, if we have a issue with something, we have that debate on a topic associated with that issue.  Seem logical to me but again, it is Social Media isn't it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm genuinely sorry; I'll try to stay on topic next time! I am very new to Cruise Critic, so I'm learning the "rules." I tried to be open minded by what I said (see below). 

2 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

The ships that I've been on recently did have the bow completely taken over by the Haven and Yacht Club. It was really annoying to me and I generalized based on a limited data set. For that, again, I'm genuinely sorry!

I'll be more careful in the future with my replies. Have a great day!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I was responding to the OP who is sailing in the Haven, who asked what to do on embarkation day. 

I don’t always sail in the Haven, but when I do I enjoy a leisurely lunch and relax in the Haven.  I didn’t say those in the Haven don’t or can’t coexist? Or I don’t meet others around the ship, mainline cruise lines have different cabins to suits different needs from insides to suites. 

My next trip is 20 days on the Bliss but not in the Haven unless I get a serious pay review, but love the Bliss Observation Lounge open to all and 2 storey glass at the front of the ship, with bar and those free drinks you like. 

Enjoy your cruises, if you’re ever in one of mine I’ll likely at one of the bars drinking grey good and ginger beer! 

• Like 2

hey, bearded cruiser, even if the haven and other lines with comparable decks offer amenities (if one wishes to pay extra ), last time i checked, you have the entire rest of the ship to explore, sit, eat drink or just wander around. the haven complex, in and of itself, is an amazing way to sail. also, if the ship offers both haven and suite cabins, the perks. as well as the cabins themselves are almost identical, you just dont get the private lounge, pool and restaurant,  but they offer the butler services, concierge, breakfast daily in moderno and lunch at cagneys, (just for people in the cabins designated as "suites") also the price is anywhere from 1000 to 3000 cheaper.

haven, yc and simitar offerings, are available for people that wish to upgrade their travel experience. kind of like flying 1st class or business as opposed to economy coach. there's a slot available for all types of people. shapes and sizes. dont pooh pooh the haven experience just because it's something  you dont want  or like. while i am certainly not looking down on  you, your money, your choice.one of my favorite people (whom i wish to meet at least once on a cruise ship), on this site is chiefmate jrk, he's a died in the wool steerage booker, but i love him and his posts anyway

• Like 2