Haven Perks

I've taken a few hours to think about what I wrote above, and why I wrote it...

OP - I'm sorry for not respecting the topic of the thread that you started, and changing the topic of the discussion! 

Everyone else reading this - I'm sorry for wasting your time and overgeneralizing and judging you, when I don't know any of you!

The last couple cruises that I took were great, but I was repeatedly frustrated that I couldn't get to the bow to see where the ship was going. I completely blamed the wrong people, the occupants of the Haven & the Yacht Club. Who's fault was it really? Mine! I bought a cruise knowing the deck plans of the ship, and then complained about it after the fact. I was jealous of the people that can afford to sail in the Haven & the Yacht Club, and I made some stupid comments because of my jealousy!

Several of you justifiably called me out for my snarky comments. Seriously, I thank you! You helped me realize that even though this site is relatively anonymous, behind every one of these usernames is a person. A person that I don't truly know, who didn't deserve my unfair judgement. Again, I'm truly sorry!!!

I promise to have more decorum on this site moving forward. If I could, I'd delete my comments above. Instead, I'll learn from my mistakes and hopefully earn your trust back some day in the future. Thank you!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

hey beard, 1st off, while i wish to personally thank  you for the "mea culpa", im sure most  of the posters on this site will agree with me, that it was not necessary. I didnt consider anything  in  your post "snarky"

no need to be jealous either, we all might feel slightly envious of others who have something we'd like, but cannot afford. i get slightly jealous when ever i see a ferrari or lambo on the road. 

when the prima 1st sailed, i was jealous that i was priced out of the cabin category i wanted .

i mentioned air travel, you can definitely see the difference between the "have and have nots" if youre sitting behind the 1st class seats.

i dont know her, but i'm slightly jealous of bird travels for her number of cruises, and her ability to respond to most questions with insight and knowledge

best thing i can tell you is "dont sweat the small stuff" a cruise ship is intentionally designed to cover most peoples needs and/or desires at any given cost level.

last word on this subject from me: remember the old saying "don't knock it unless you've tried it"?

try and save up a little more and book a haven. more than likely, you will love the experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

First, thanks 😀 I like your reply too!

I definitely do not like the ship within a ship concept. Most of the ships have taken the entire bow and made it for the Haven/ Yacht Club/ etc. I miss being able to watch where the ship is going, without paying a lot more than I should afford! I wish that they would leave one deck open to regular passengers, on the bow.

yes I agree and some of the slightly older from early 2000's Princess ships still have a place to look forward under cover.  I feel bow and stern should be open to ALL

bye

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

OP - I'm sorry for not respecting the topic of the thread that you started, and changing the topic of the discussion! 

Everyone else reading this - I'm sorry for wasting your time and overgeneralizing and judging you, when I don't know any of you!

The last couple cruises that I took were great, but I was repeatedly frustrated that I couldn't get to the bow to see where the ship was going. I completely blamed the wrong people, the occupants of the Haven & the Yacht Club. Who's fault was it really? Mine! I bought a cruise knowing the deck plans of the ship, and then complained about it after the fact. I was jealous of the people that can afford to sail in the Haven & the Yacht Club, and I made some stupid comments because of my jealousy!

Several of you justifiably called me out for my snarky comments. Seriously, I thank you! You helped me realize that even though this site is relatively anonymous, behind every one of these usernames is a person. A person that I don't truly know, who didn't deserve my unfair judgement. Again, I'm truly sorry!!!

I promise to have more decorum on this site moving forward. If I could, I'd delete my comments above. Instead, I'll learn from my mistakes and hopefully earn your trust back some day in the future. Thank you!

Classy post, seriously. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

OP, great question. It's sounding like it's Haven for lunch or any free place now.  This is disappointing. When  we were last on Bliss, they opened Food Republic for Haven guests as complimentary for embarkation lunch.  

I know people have told you to just eat in the Haven, but i get you. The Haven lunch menu isn't my fave (i know, unpopular opinion). There are things that i will certainly eat, but on a longer cruise, if i have somewhere not crowded to eat an elevated lunch on Day 1 and then enjoy the rest of the cruise eating a lunch snack in the Haven, this goes a long way for me.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

OP, great question. It's sounding like it's Haven for lunch or any free place now.  This is disappointing. When  we were last on Bliss, they opened Food Republic for Haven guests as complimentary for embarkation lunch.  

I know people have told you to just eat in the Haven, but i get you. The Haven lunch menu isn't my fave (i know, unpopular opinion). There are things that i will certainly eat, but on a longer cruise, if i have somewhere not crowded to eat an elevated lunch on Day 1 and then enjoy the rest of the cruise eating a lunch snack in the Haven, this goes a long way for me.

I agree on all points! We never had the opportunity to feast at Food Republic on embarkation day. Rather, we went to American Diner. Sure the food isn't "upscale" and hoity toity, like the Haven, but it is a very welcome deviation from the rather uninspired lunch menu the Haven has. It's the only menu that I wish would change.

In November, since we were on Pr1ma, we missed American Diner as there isn't one onboard. No other specialty restaurant was offered. I guess that was preparing us for the American Diner menu change!

I'm glad there are others out there that don't enjoy the Haven's lunch. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

@cruiseny4life I get your point.  Since many opinions have been given, I don't want to beat a dead horse.  I have another take however, that I am afraid could possibly hijack this topic.  That is not my intent but I figured, I would toss it out there.

I obviously love the Haven.  Not perfect by any means but for a long while, gave me some of what I was missing and extra benefits I had never had. Having the options of special lunches is kind of nice and you really can't go wrong.  After all, you have the next few days to have lunch in the Haven Restaurant and the menu is mostly the same.  

My tastes have evolved helped by the rising cost of the "Ship-Within-A-Ship" approach used by NCL, Celebrity, Royal and MSC.  Other brands actually in the Premium-Plus, Luxury and Ultra-Luxury categories of vacation cruising are now the same or close to the investments of those VIP sections of Mainstream Cruises.  You give up Water Slides and have it substituted with Afternoon Tea.  Lots of other differences as well, so Pros/Cons.  

Now lunch on the other brands are for ALL passengers.  The entire ship is the Haven on Steroids.  I have been so happy with the grills by the pool especially on Crystal and Oceania, the debate on to do Haven Restaurant or American Diner is a moot point then. 

Again, when in the Haven, I do the Haven Restaurant.  I look forward to my first cruise to Alaska on either the Haven on the Encore or the Bliss in the future.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

My husband and I do not really enjoy the Haven lunch either and have never eaten there on embarkation day.   Eating there a few times during the cruise is more than enough for us.   

Would like to see NCL give another option on embarkation day for Haven guests now that the American Diner is free.

• Like 2

Quickly...

-The Bow is visible on several decks on the ship....

-The Haven offers a premium cruising experience in service, food, cabin and convenience.  It costs more because everything from the Restaurant to the Butlers to the Concierges are at your service.

-Paying for the Haven is a choice, not a necessity on the ship.  You can still enjoy MDRs, Buffets, free entertainment, bars...all over the ship without being in the Haven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 11:33 PM, TheBeardedCruiser said:

@TheBeardedCruiser No worries.  Social Media is all about expressing yourself.  The real changes happen when sharing your thoughts with the brand.  You did not have to come back and apologize.  However, the fact that you did indicates you really love cruising and want to learn/enjoy as much of it as possible.  That was a classy thing to do and I thank you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I agree on all points! We never had the opportunity to feast at Food Republic on embarkation day. Rather, we went to American Diner. Sure the food isn't "upscale" and hoity toity, like the Haven, but it is a very welcome deviation from the rather uninspired lunch menu the Haven has. It's the only menu that I wish would change.

What changes would  you like to see?

Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

What changes would  you like to see?

Is the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day?

That's easy! Bring back the previous American Diner menu. 

Since American Diner no longer exists in it's previous form (RIP mozzarella sticks and shrimp/lobster rolls, chicken sandwich), let's go with Food Republic. I'll take that. For ships without, meh, it doesn't matter to me.

Will it happen? Probably not. Oh well...we'll just head to the Haven for our lunch. Or, for V!va/Pr1ma, Indulge Food Hall if it ain't wicked crowded. 

MDR is open for lunch, for anyone that would like to head there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's easy! Bring back the previous American Diner menu. 

Since American Diner no longer exists in it's previous form (RIP mozzarella sticks and shrimp/lobster rolls, chicken sandwich), let's go with Food Republic. I'll take that. For ships without, meh, it doesn't matter to me.

Will it happen? Probably not. Oh well...we'll just head to the Haven for our lunch. Or, for V!va/Pr1ma, Indulge Food Hall if it ain't wicked crowded. 

MDR is open for lunch, for anyone that would like to head there. 

I should have been more specific.  I wanted to know what changed you would make to the Haven lunch menu.  Not just for embarkation but for all of the cruise.

We weren't all that impressed with either the American Dinner when it was a specialty or with Food Republic.  Wife says she doesn't want to do either of them again.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I should have been more specific.  I wanted to know what changed you would make to the Haven lunch menu.  Not just for embarkation but for all of the cruise.

We weren't all that impressed with either the American Dinner when it was a specialty or with Food Republic.  Wife says she doesn't want to do either of them again.

Anyone have a copy of the current Haven lunch menu? I can’t find it. 

On 6/25/2024 at 3:04 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

, I have heard stories of badly behaving teens in the Haven.  

Forget the teens.  Some of the 40 and 50 somethings can get pretty rowdy after a good tequila tour!  I speak from experience.  One Panama Canal cruise on the Bliss comes to mind watching a few guys attempting cannonballs in the not so deep Haven pool, while the butlers keep encourages the wives to order food!

1 hour ago, valleyvillage said:

I love the Haven restaurant for lunch, but I am so easy! Flatbread, caesar salad, pasta and pavlova please!

I really need to try that flatbread appetizer!  I haven't got past the Fritto Misto yet.

We also enjoy the Courtyard 'snack' menu for a late lunch.   

You can get a decent burger, hot dog or Caesar chicken wrap.  More importantly....LOVE the Tempura fried veggies & Ice cream sandwiches😎

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

See below.  Might have some changes, but I would guess, pretty close.

Haven_Lunch_Menu_Side_Two.jfif 74.46 kB · 4 downloads Haven_Lunch_Menu_Side_One.jfif 70.42 kB · 1 download

Dang... that's very different than what I'm seeing posted elsewhere online.  Looks great... Hoping that's the Haven lunch menu on the Gem in 3 weeks..

5 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Dang... that's very different than what I'm seeing posted elsewhere online.  Looks great... Hoping that's the Haven lunch menu on the Gem in 3 weeks..

I've never seen that menu before, so it's either very old or brand spanking new. My husband will be extremely upset if it's a new menu. I'll be ok with it as it looks to be better than before. I never really liked the Delmonico with fries, so getting rid of steak frites won't impact me. I'm sure some will be sour they have to suffer with a pork chop, rather than a cut of steak for lunch though. 

I'm definitely going to wait for more evidence of this menu being rolled out before believing it though. 

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've never seen that menu before, so it's either very old or brand spanking new. My husband will be extremely upset if it's a new menu. I'll be ok with it as it looks to be better than before. I never really liked the Delmonico with fries, so getting rid of steak frites won't impact me. I'm sure some will be sour they have to suffer with a pork chop, rather than a cut of steak for lunch though. 

I'm definitely going to wait for more evidence of this menu being rolled out before believing it though. 

Believe the steak was removed last year and replaced with veal spare ribs. Now, pork chop replacing the spare ribs. So cheaper and cheaper down the ladder. 

But overall, it’s a nice menu. 

16 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Believe the steak was removed last year and replaced with veal spare ribs. Now, pork chop replacing the spare ribs. So cheaper and cheaper down the ladder. 

But overall, it’s a nice menu. 

Ahh, got it! It was still steak frites in November when I sailed. But, a lot can happen in seven months. Interesting new menu that I like.

@RocketMan275 - to answer your question, I do like this new, updated menu that @Sthrngary posted. I would like to see another appetizer or two, but I would be happy for a week living off those three apps! I'm glad to see the Nicoise Salad added and the other three kept. No difference to sandwiches - here, again maybe another sandwich or two. Or, a "handheld" that's not quite so traditional like flautas (main dining room does have these and they're great) or tacos. 

As for the other side, loving the addition of berries and mango in Grand Marnier (whatever that is). The entrees, for me, are ok. The husband won't be quite as fine without the shrimp alfredo (maybe they would do a special request here with adequate notice). I'm surprised there's only baby cow and no grown up cow on the menu. I think most folks want a "lighter" lunch menu though. And, lord knows, prime rib/filet is plenty at dinner! 

I think one of my other issues with the Haven lunch is the service. It's just so damned formal. I'm not a formal guy. I can do it - I've been to plenty of dinners with all sorts of whoevers. Heck, I even know what a fish knife is. I just don't want to do it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I appreciate diner grammy's - you know, the older ladies that call you "honey," "sweetie," or whatever when they bring a plate of fries with a chicken sandwich. 

But, hey! The Haven it is for me, so I'll continue Havening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ahh, got it! It was still steak frites in November when I sailed. But, a lot can happen in seven months. Interesting new menu that I like.

@RocketMan275 - to answer your question, I do like this new, updated menu that @Sthrngary posted. I would like to see another appetizer or two, but I would be happy for a week living off those three apps! I'm glad to see the Nicoise Salad added and the other three kept. No difference to sandwiches - here, again maybe another sandwich or two. Or, a "handheld" that's not quite so traditional like flautas (main dining room does have these and they're great) or tacos. 

As for the other side, loving the addition of berries and mango in Grand Marnier (whatever that is). The entrees, for me, are ok. The husband won't be quite as fine without the shrimp alfredo (maybe they would do a special request here with adequate notice). I'm surprised there's only baby cow and no grown up cow on the menu. I think most folks want a "lighter" lunch menu though. And, lord knows, prime rib/filet is plenty at dinner! 

I think one of my other issues with the Haven lunch is the service. It's just so damned formal. I'm not a formal guy. I can do it - I've been to plenty of dinners with all sorts of whoevers. Heck, I even know what a fish knife is. I just don't want to do it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I appreciate diner grammy's - you know, the older ladies that call you "honey," "sweetie," or whatever when they bring a plate of fries with a chicken sandwich. 

But, hey! The Haven it is for me, so I'll continue Havening.

According to wikipedia: Grand Marnier is a French brand of liqueurs. The brand's best-known product is Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge, an orange-flavored liqueur created in 1880 by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle. It is made from a blend of Cognac brandy, distilled essence of bitter orange, and sugar, containing 40% alcohol.

Coming from Alabama, I appreciate those diner grannies too.  

Glad these menu's were posted.  

BTW, I've started ordering the fish sandwich without the bread.  Kind of like fish and chips.

I've had weight loss surgery and I'm satisfied with smaller amounts.