2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

7 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Your end of summer would be anything but dull if you carried around that handbag I sent you the picture of today. It just screamed @Sugar Magnoliato me. 

What is it about the handbag that strongly suggests to you that it has my name on it...the fact that it comes in bright Easter egg colors...the fact that it sparkles...or the fact that it looks bigger than my luggage?

It certainly does scream something.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

What is it about the handbag that strongly suggests to you that it has my name on it...the fact that it comes in bright Easter egg colors...the fact that it sparkles...or the fact that it looks bigger than my luggage?

It certainly does scream something.

Is that a rhetorical question?

• Haha 2

@mking8288 Thought posting this here than your semi-live, those folks over there scare me, the thought of traveling with a Tux or my burial suit doesn't compute.

So with that in mind let's eliminate a Cunard cruise as a option for the #Schmoopiefest cruise.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@JIMESOPUS Jim ... sailing QE next Friday with an open mind, I'm glad it's not just Susan & myself cruising on a ship that can feel very "foreign" with a new & different "culture" dynamics ... but we wanted to go see Alaska at least once again, been 16 years and DW hates flying (like you & probably others, as we aren't young "kids" anymore)   Bliss would be a nice ship to cruise Alaska as we haven't been on her but even with discounts & codes, using outside TA that will cover DSC, etc. etc. the last minute price, for us, just didn't add up - granted, the beverage package isn't for us (for others, like Jamie ...) and that's for 7 days, not 10 days.  Sun has a very similar one for 10 days but Seattle port-based whereas nieces & SIL wanted some land time to see Vancouver, so in the end, done deal to do QE.   Going to dust off that black suit & tie reserved (and used) mainly for those "farewell" events only - put on a $10 bow tie (thanks, Amazon) and will "survive" the 2 evenings.  OTOH, we think ... see positives with Cunard and spend 10 nights onboard with an open mind, afternoon tea & smoked salmon delivered to our balcony as part of - free - hot, early morning breakfast before we rush off to, White Pass/Yukon excursion.   100% agreed they are NOT an option for #Schmoopiefest cruise, not even close 

We are going to make the best out of it, maybe it will be that once-in-a-lifetime experience of ours.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

Cunard seems like it's too stuffy. I prefer fluffy, not stuffy.

sort of Wisconsin cheese versus clotted cheese

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

@schmoopie17 I know, I know, "trust" me and believe, Cunard is a different animal so we'll draw the line.  @JIMESOPUS  clotted cream ??   wait, wait ... Sugar M. "charged" me to go on a facts-finding mission to see what they are serving onboard the QE for afternoon tea.  She promised to "behave" and sit-back, not going to surprise us on the ship next week.  Are you getting into Boston (don't recall ... senior moment here) a day early for the Gem or just going to get up early and do the 3+ hour drive toward & across on Mass pike ? 

Okay, jokes aside - are we any closer with 2026 ?  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Sugar M. "charged" me to go on a facts-finding mission to see what they are serving onboard the QE for afternoon tea

And just because they slap on a sign that says "clotted cream" does not necessarily mean it's real clotted cream. NCL does that but I know better and it's very upsetting.

If you are unfamiliar with the real thing, you might have to walk around during afternoon tea to survey your fellow Brits and ask whether it is proper clotted cream. Are you packing a bodycam?

19 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Okay, jokes aside - are we any closer with 2026 ?  

Still waiting for the 2026 European sailings.

• Like 2

OK, so is it clotted cream or cheese, have seen references to both, not a tea guy, maybe a twisted tea or two. I have been known to add Baileys to Hot Chocolate and used to add Jameson to coffee but that was a waste of good booze

@mking8288 5 am wake-up call this Friday, overnight work on the NYST should be done by 6 AM, not expecting too much traffic until the I-90 intersection. Of course, Waze may have other plans on Friday. The only bottle neck might be in Boston at the tunnel.

• Like 1

Being 76 I was curious after reading OP comment on being 70.

Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 75 is quite high.
 On average, the majority of people who are 70 years old can expect to live
another  10 years1. This means that many individuals will indeed reach 75 and
 beyond.
Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 80 is quite
favorable. On average, the majority of people who are 70 years old can expect
 to live another 10 years1. This means that many individuals will indeed
 reach 80 and beyond.
Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 80 is quite
 favorable. According to actuarial data, almost two-thirds of
 70-year-old men and nearly three-fourths of 70-year-old women will
 live at least another 10 years.
Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 85 is quite
promising. For men, there’s about a 55% probability of living to 85,
while for women, the probability is around 65%.
Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 90 is quite
 notable. For men, there’s about a 20-25% probability of living to 90,
 while for women, the probability is around 30-35%.       

The previous stats are derived from Copilot.

• Like 4

There's big fanfare today as Carnival has released their "first wave (get it?)" of deployments for 2026 and 2027. Perhaps NCL won't be too far behind in getting those 2026 summer Europe sailings out. 

I know some are interested in an eclipse cruise on a mainstream line. Carnival has one on their ship "Legend." I know nothing of this ship, but it sure sounds like an ancient ship to me!

You can book an 11 day eclipse cruise for the low, low price of (see below):

image.png.61243ff7020b90867b0b400fa9ddb08c.png

This is NOT an ask to move schmoopiefest to the fun ships, by the way. Just for those that are interested in a mainstream eclipse cruise. 

I concur, no Cunard in 2026! Can you imagine floating the Med in August wearing a penguin suit? Yikes!

BTW, @mking8288, as posted on the Cunard boards, my Gala Night wear:

Unisex Adult Christmas Tree Costume,Banana,Poop,Taco,Penguin Costumes for  Men and Women

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

There's big fanfare today as Carnival has released their "first wave (get it?)" of deployments for 2026 and 2027. Perhaps NCL won't be too far behind in getting those 2026 summer Europe sailings out ... I concur, no Cunard in 2026! Can you imagine floating the Med in August wearing a penguin suit? Yikes!

BTW, @mking8288, as posted on the Cunard boards, my Gala Night wear:

Unisex Adult Christmas Tree Costume,Banana,Poop,Taco,Penguin Costumes for  Men and Women

Hahaha ... nearly spilled my afternoon coffee, gosh ... trying to pack here.  (BTW, Legend was launched in 2001, an older ship Carnival refurb in 2024, comparable to the Dawn/Gem/Jewel) 

Check out this YT video about a typical themed / gala night dinner w. dancing & live singing - it's something that I know is right down the corridor for @Sugar Magnolia and her posse, I know ... it's not the Studio Prima/Night Club.  She will definitely be the last to leave after shutting down the place, the regulars mostly gone by late evening as it'll be past their bed time.  

It is entertainment and lively ... Hey, watch out b/c who said life turns the corner at / around 70 - these passengers surely showing otherwise.  Lots of "spectators" sitting around and a few in their wheelchairs but looking alert enough.

I know for the first 20 minutes of Donna Live, my struggle was to stay awake and not to snore to disturb others, DW used to my "routines" after 30+ years ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_Mcruisers said:

Being 76 I was curious after reading OP comment on being 70.

Once you reach the age of 70, the likelihood of making it to 75 is quite high.
 On average, the majority of people who are 70 years old can expect to live
another  10 years1. This means that many individuals will indeed reach 75 and
 beyond.

OP is me. As for statistics, who knows? My mom lived to 96. My dad lived to 74. If you average it out, that means I should be looking at 85. However, my brother died at 71...so there goes that theory.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Still waiting for the 2026 European sailings.

Yes, the idea of #Schmoopiefest was for 2026...preferably in Europe...and for us, preferably something that stops in Croatia.

But then it expanded to 2025. There are a couple mini-#Schmoopiefest cruises already booked for 2025. However, it looks like you and us (Mrs. Schmoopie and I) will be doing the Panama Canal. That's okay, we drink equally well in small groups as large ones.

Still time for others to join.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Check out this YT video about a typical themed / gala night dinner w. dancing & live singing - it's something that I know is right down the corridor for @Sugar Magnolia and her posse, I know ... it's not the Studio Prima/Night Club.  She will definitely be the last to leave after shutting down the place, the regulars mostly gone by late evening as it'll be past their bed time.  

1. That dance venue on the Cunard QE reminds me of the Waldorf ballroom.

2. My posse and I would have been kicked out long before the party started on the QE.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

There are a couple mini-#Schmoopiefest cruises already booked for 2025. However, it looks like you and us (Mrs. Schmoopie and I) will be doing the Panama Canal. That's okay, we drink equally well in small groups as large ones.

It won't be a small group for long. Crowds will clamor (or clamour) to sit with us and we will have to fight off the paparazzi.

And I think @cruiseny4life secretly wants to be on our cruise but apparently he is essential at his workplace.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

It won't be a small group for long. Crowds will clamor (or clamour) to sit with us and we will have to fight off the paparazzi.

They will clamour if @YVRteacherjoins us. That's how they spell things in Canada.

And it would be an honour if she and Dad would join us.

• Like 2

Might be interested if it was on a Round Australia cruise on NCL!!

For once have the rest of the world come to us rather than us (Australians and New Zealanders) having to fly to the other side of the world as we have to do most of the time.

• Like 2

EUROPE IS OUT for 2026....now don't get your hopes up. The prices are crazy insane! 

I'm thinking this might be my first non-Haven cruise. Y'all better make it up for me. There's no way I'm paying $6k per person for a Haven suite on a non-Haven restaurant Pearl or Gem. Maybe, maybe, maybe on V!va. 

Let's get some ideas a swarming. 

• Like 2

I'm doing a quick review of the itineraries. I did cancel the older ships. None of them have a more than seven day itinerary and #schmoopiefest2026 must be more than a week, as proclaimed by our leader, @schmoopie17, himself!

I know some of y'all will pushback and I might compromise, especially if I'm saying the heck with the Haven. The fact we'll be in port so often on these much more land ho intensive sailings also bodes maybe acceptable for the dinky old ships. I also only looked at itineraries that have Dubrovnik. If y'all accept these parameters, then here are our choices:

image.png.b28e9b96398288ef9fb92f9ddf5e564f.png

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/10-day-greek-isles-from-istanbul-to-venice-ravenna-santorini-and-athens-VIVA10ISTKUSJTRJMKPIRKAKCFUDBVKOTSPURAV?itineraryCode=VIVA10ISTKUSJTRJMKPIRKAKCFUDBVKOTSPURAV

image.png.709a8121198f60b2de945b5509e10ab9.png

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/10-day-greek-isles-from-venice-to-istanbul-santorini-and-athens-VIVA10RAVDBVKOTPIRJTRRHOKUSTHEIST?itineraryCode=VIVA10RAVDBVKOTPIRJTRRHOKUSTHEIST

Unfortunately, both go to Santorini. Maybe that's a mandatory rest day for us weary travelers. Or, we just say the heck with it and hike the donkey poop strewn path to the top of the world. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

:

image.png.b28e9b96398288ef9fb92f9ddf5e564f.png

https://www.ncl.com/cruises/10-day-greek-isles-from-istanbul-to-venice-ravenna-santorini-and-athens-VIVA10ISTKUSJTRJMKPIRKAKCFUDBVKOTSPURAV?itineraryCode=VIVA10ISTKUSJTRJMKPIRKAKCFUDBVKOTSPURAV

image.png.709a8121198f60b2de945b5509e10ab9.png

Unfortunately, both go to Santorini. Maybe that's a mandatory rest day for us weary travelers. Or, we just say the heck with it and hike the donkey poop strewn path to the top of the world. 

Both of those would be Schmoopie-approved. But how does the first one do 11 ports in 10 days?

As for Santorini, we've never been but everything I've read about it recently (cable car issues, donkey trail/poop, etc.) doesn't sound as appealing as I once thought it would be. Maybe we could find a Greek party bus to pick us up at the pier and get the group rate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Both of those would be Schmoopie-approved. But how does the first one do 11 ports in 10 days?

As for Santorini, we've never been but everything I've read about it recently (cable car issues, donkey trail/poop, etc.) doesn't sound as appealing as I once thought it would be. Maybe we could find a Greek party bus to pick us up at the pier and get the group rate.

Santorini is wonderful as long as you don't go in the summer. May would be pushing it but much better than June or July (October would be even better).