Random reports from Vista

babysteps

1 minute ago, vlthom said:

I agree with you and wish that more would discover Baristas Aperitivo so that they continue with it.  We’ve enjoyed having drinks up there before eating in the Specialties and almost no one is there.  

I feel so remiss now.  Just didn’t occur to us to pop by for an appetitive before a specialty dinner.  Next time🥰

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, vlthom said:

For those wondering what the Vista “Bakery” that’s located on 14 behind Barista, has to offer, here is a sample of today’s mid-day offerings….

IMG_9238.jpeg

IMG_9240.jpeg

IMG_9239.jpeg

IMG_9237.jpeg

I want to be cruising...right now 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'm a big fan of the Bakery. The quiche are always well flavoured. The beignet light as a feather and generously filled with the day's flavour. 

Actually I'm a big fan of Baristas generally. Including (and perhaps especially) when it morphs into Baristas Aperitivo in the evening. Nice snacks to go with your pre-dinner aperitif (and a particularly good location if dinner is in Polo or Toscana. 

We had seen some of the posts about going to Baristas Aperitivo (in the evening) but quickly realized it was not for us!  DW and I always spend 1-2 hours, pre-dinner, at a bar/lounge to enjoy drinks and socializing.  On most ships (including Vista) the best social spot is at or near the bar.  On Vista, there are two decent bars that usually draw a pre-dinner crowd (we tend to dine around 7:45) and both of those bars have bar seating and pre-dinner entertainment (one has a piano and the other usually has a small band).  Baristas Aperitivo just does not provide that kind of bar atmosphere and we thought it felt "sterile."  While we really liked Baristas, in the morning, and usually spent 1-2 hours there (every day) we never returned (a second time) in the evening.  I should also mention that in the pre-dinner cocktail time, when we did check-out Baristas, it was either empty or had no more than 2-4 other customers.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You’re correct that it is very quiet up in Baristas as no entertainment is offered.  We have enjoyed the views and the ability to carry on a conversation which we find difficult when there’s a pianist or vocals in the other bars.  Variety is good as it serves different tastes.  I hoped that the bubbly bar would catch on but it hasn’t and it’s not really staffed for it.  But we did observe something funny on the night that we tried it.  The concept is to create your own champagne based cocktail and they provide a wide range of options but one must be assisted in its creation.  This was one problem since staff weren’t really watching the area.  So one night I had finished making my drink and was sitting enjoying it when an Asian couple arrived.  Staff were not around. The couple clearly had no desire for a drink and also didn’t understand the concept as they took two of the glass dishes on display, one containing grapes and the other containing raspberries.  These were for the drinks.  But they picked them up and brought them to a table where they consumed the fruit and then left. DH and I watched and then laughed.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, vlthom said:

I hoped that the bubbly bar would catch on but it hasn’t and it’s not really staffed for it.

Is that in Baristas?  I have a vague recollection of bottles & bowls of fruit being near the snacks in the evening but didnt pay much attention (as I don't drink alcohol). If so, I'll remember to point it out to my partner who does enjoy alcohol and, in particular, a glass of fizz pre-dinner. 

13 minutes ago, Harters said:

Is that in Baristas?  I have a vague recollection of bottles & bowls of fruit being near the snacks in the evening but didnt pay much attention (as I don't drink alcohol). If so, I'll remember to point it out to my partner who does enjoy alcohol and, in particular, a glass of fizz pre-dinner. 

Yes, but it’s not every night.  It’s always announced in the daily Currents and Julie (our CD) has mentioned in during her evening announcement.  It’s really just an expansion of Baristas Apperitivo.  

IMG_5759.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Poppie55 said:

What is the cost of the Bubbly Bar or by chance is it included with “dinner wine, beer or champagne” Simply More? Thanks!

It’s not included with the standard wine/beer/champagne with dinner.  The price is $12 + gratuity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, vlthom said:

Yes, but it’s not every night.  It’s always announced in the daily Currents and Julie (our CD) has mentioned in during her evening announcement.  It’s really just an expansion of Baristas Apperitivo.  

IMG_5759.jpeg

Thanks...we had missed this!! 

• Thanks 1

Well, my first O cruise on Vista isn’t until next year, but it will be fun to critique the different venues with my DH, along with our own subjectivity.  Whether I post about our experience is unknown, but both of us enjoy new experiences.  We are not big foodies, nor are we big drinkers; however, isn’t everything subjective anyway?  If I like something and my DH does not...so what.  I definitely will not be upset if he doesn’t agree with me.  I am my own person at this stage in my life, so it just doesn’t matter.🤷‍♀️

• Like 10

On 7/7/2024 at 4:48 AM, vlthom said:

For those wondering what the Vista “Bakery” that’s located on 14 behind Barista, has to offer, here is a sample of today’s mid-day offerings….

IMG_9238.jpeg

IMG_9240.jpeg

IMG_9239.jpeg

IMG_9237.jpeg

Wow. Any one or two of those would make a meal.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 5:21 AM, Hlitner said:

We had seen some of the posts about going to Baristas Aperitivo (in the evening) but quickly realized it was not for us!  DW and I always spend 1-2 hours, pre-dinner, at a bar/lounge to enjoy drinks and socializing.  On most ships (including Vista) the best social spot is at or near the bar.  On Vista, there are two decent bars that usually draw a pre-dinner crowd (we tend to dine around 7:45) and both of those bars have bar seating and pre-dinner entertainment (one has a piano and the other usually has a small band).  Baristas Aperitivo just does not provide that kind of bar atmosphere and we thought it felt "sterile."  While we really liked Baristas, in the morning, and usually spent 1-2 hours there (every day) we never returned (a second time) in the evening.  I should also mention that in the pre-dinner cocktail time, when we did check-out Baristas, it was either empty or had no more than 2-4 other customers.

Hank

It sounds just perfect to me. Glad we don't all like the same things.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 10:49 PM, MEFIowa said:

By George, I think you've got it. They've substituted eating an inexpensive item rather than an expensive item. The cost of the food itself to O. And it all adds up over time.

You sound like the sort of person who confronted with a fixed priced menu always chooses the most expensive item to ‘get their moneys worth’ rather than the meal that they would enjoy the most at any given time. I don’t know about Oceania penny pinching but it sounds like getting every penny of value is all that concerns you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, scifimonkey said:

You sound like the sort of person who confronted with a fixed priced menu always chooses the most expensive item to ‘get their moneys worth’ rather than the meal that they would enjoy the most at any given time. I don’t know about Oceania penny pinching but it sounds like getting every penny of value is all that concerns you.

I'm not sure what part of business reality you exist in, but I don't need my MBA to know that O has already been taking serious cost-cutting and revenue enhancement efforts since at least 2022, as their total debt skyrocketed from over $6 billion to nearly $12.5 billion. That debt has to be paid down. They cannot borrow more. And the market isn't inclined to want to buy stock in them as the stock price itself is a correlated issue. So that repayment has to come from profits. Do you know how companies generate profit? Total revenue has to exceed total costs.

You might just ask yourself, what "concerns" NCL & O when they sit on over $12 billion in debt.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I'm not sure what part of business reality you exist in, but I don't need my MBA to know that O has already been taking serious cost-cutting and revenue enhancement efforts since at least 2022, as their total debt skyrocketed from over $6 billion to nearly $12.5 billion. That debt has to be paid down. They cannot borrow more. And the market isn't inclined to want to buy stock in them as the stock price itself is a correlated issue. So that repayment has to come from profits. Do you know how companies generate profit? Total revenue has to exceed total costs.

You might just ask yourself, what "concerns" NCL & O when they sit on over $12 billion in debt.

And this has what to do with how good a meal or a dish it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Why is it necessary to repeat this information over and over and over again?  Are we not supposed to enjoy Oceania’s current product because of these statistics?  Obviously, it’s not stopping you from sailing on O as I recall you stating that you have at least one future sailing in the works.  So, are you concerned about NCLH’s financial viability and that’s why you keep telling us this information, or what?  They may be cost-cutting, they are a business afterall, but can’t we still like their product and accept it’s flaws as well?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Their biggest costs are the ships, fuel, staff and the big stuff that comes with running a cruise line.  I agree with many that they may go a little overboard with their print advertising, but they may have studies that say it works.  Doing away with little things in the dining room mean very little to their bottom line.  Their food is still above average although maybe not the finest cuisine at sea but I haven't been on that many lines so I can't say.  

They have a board who knows a lot more than I do, If it comes to the point that I'm not satisfied with what they provide I'll find another cruise line.  We've changed before and we can do it again and life will go on.

• Like 9

@babysteps, thanks for your review. We will be first-time O cruisers on Vista in January. Can you please tell me the protocol for gluten free dining? Did you have to pre-order? Is GF noted in menus? Buffet? Thanks for your help!

Erin

Whether GF, Vegan, Vegetarian, Low Sodium, or any other dietary needs, notify your Travel Agent to notify Oceania of your needs and the staff will be meeting with you on board when you board. If you booked yourself, just call Reservations or Special Services and have them load your needs into your personal profile. An FYI, the Guest refrigerators are stocked with Coke products but if you want Pepsi, Sparking waters, Dr. Pepper, etc. share that with O as well and your refrigerator will be properly stocked during your cruise. Should it not have been swapped out before your arrival, advise your Room Stewards or Butler and it will be. 
Just enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, asnaleah said:

@babysteps, thanks for your review. We will be first-time O cruisers on Vista in January. Can you please tell me the protocol for gluten free dining? Did you have to pre-order? Is GF noted in menus? Buffet? Thanks for your help!

Erin

[apologies this got a bit long-winded! TLDR let them know ahead of time and fill out your menu daily]

As @mauibabes said, first step for a dining restriction is to let your TA know (or O if direct booked). Once onboard there should be a letter in your stateroom acknowledging the dietary restriction and asking you to connect with [they tell you who at] dining services. Since they started this protocol, I usually run into someone on day 1 who realizes I've got a special diet and checks that I understand the protocol - so I haven't had to call up to connect. If you don't have the restricted dining letter waiting, just seek out someone at the dining reservations desk and ask to be designated. On Vista we made friends with a couple whose SIL was GF but not pre-registered. Once we explained the whole process, SIL got included in the process and her dining experience improved (and anxiety decreased) dramatically!

The first night you just have to self-identify. The next morning you'll have 2 dinner menus waiting outside your door, the one for that evening and the next evening - circle what you'd like and drop off at the dining reservations desk by 10am. After that you'll have one "homework" menu each morning. If you're not at a specialty, the menu will be for the GDR.

Breakfast, lunch and buffet dinner are less directed. In all cases, self-identify and ask if what you're getting is safe for you. GF bread or toast is generally available. I'm a fan of the omelet station in Terrace. In GDR you can ask for gluten-free pancakes but you might have to convince your server to ask the kitchen (last time I ordered these they weren't on the server's tablet, but they were available). Aquamar for breakfast I ordered avocado toast with no toast, it came in a bowl and was lovely (they could have done with GF bread if I wished).

Tea we aren't often at (maybe 5 times in 13 cruises), so no real recent experience - others may be able to chime in. In the past this was very ship-specific, sometimes there was next to zero GF available, other times they were just waiting for me to ask and brought quite a selection.

Waves pizza dinner you can request GF pizza on the fly, it takes longer because is baked remotely in a GF oven (not the pizza oven). Terrace for dinner they now have GF soy sauce at the sushi station, woo-hoo! Any buffet server, just ask if [insert desired food item from buffet here] is GF, they often don't know but will ask someone who does. Labels would be lovely, but I haven't yet been glutened on O in 13 cruises and I am sadly pretty sensitive. Also if you have ordered a specific GDR entree but dine in Terrace and said entree isn't GF as usually prepared, explain you have a special pre-order and ask if it could appear at Terrace. My experience is about 80/20 it can indeed appear.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Many thanks @mauibabes and @babysteps. We just came home from a Regent cruise and this sounds like a very similar protocol. Did you find anything GF at the bakery?

True confession, I did not look for anything GF at the bakery.

There are GF rolls available in all restaurants but they don't mimic the signature dinner roll offerings of specialties. GF sliced bread also widely available, and GF buns for example at Waves for a burger. 

• Thanks 1