6/20/24: Double Cruise Credits for Captain's Circle Guests with Princess Cruises' New Loyalty Accelerator Program

I wonder what the Old Guard thinks vs Princess cruisers who started after Carnival bought the company?  I imagine they think it has gone downhill ever since, yet many still cruise.

Resources on a cruise ship are limited and shared by all. Princess isn't going to give you more - there is nothing more to give.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

Good question.  I assume what was meant was a stand-alone beverage package.  Plus is pretty much a break even for anyone who pays for Wi-Fi and who also drinks even a modest amount of anything other than water.

$17 (gratuity) + $24.99 (Wi-Fi) + $7 (couple of cups of coffee) + $11 (soft drinks with lunch and dinner) + $5.00 (pro rated cost of two Casual Dining Meals over a 7 day cruise) = $64.99 per day.  Even if one qualifies for half-priced Wi-Fi, that still comes to $52.49 per day.  Hard to ever lose with Plus, even when alcohol is removed from the equation.  Those mocktails that the kids order add up!

And the fitness classes!

We had Plus on our recent 32 night cruise. Did we drink alcohol every day? No. Still a great deal.

I was thinking they meant the bundles, as this is what is needed to get the double credits/days. 

8 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Absolutely. In fact, package price and inclusivity is the reason we cancelled a Holland America cruise in favor of one on Princess this fall. I don’t mind purchasing a package if it includes tips and WiFi fast enough to do some minor streaming. That’s actually a product I’ve wanted for years when I used to say there was room for a cruise line priced between Princess and Oceania / Azamara. Purchasing a package provides that. 

We just resumed cruising after pricing against land trips. We only take a few trips a year in suites. Based on itinerary and food choices (we want quality food but don't eat or care about fancy cuisine) Princess is a better value than HAL and the other mid-tier - never mind the luxury level. 

Interestingly, our first Princess cruise is in August. We have three more booked. Assuming Princess were to extend this doubling effect (like any other sale) we would be elite in 4 cruises. This does seem odd. I did confirm with Princess that suites will count as 4 cruises under the promotion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

We only take a few trips a year in suites. 

Assuming Princess were to extend this doubling effect (like any other sale) we would be elite in 4 cruises. This does seem odd. 

It only seems odd until you realize that you are the exact demographic that Princess (all cruise lines) wants to capture as a repeat customer. 

Edited by So_Tweetie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I wonder what the Old Guard thinks vs Princess cruisers who started after Carnival bought the company?  I imagine they think it has gone downhill ever since, yet many still cruise.

Resources on a cruise ship are limited and shared by all. Princess isn't going to give you more - there is nothing more to give.

Since that was April 2003, you may need a shovel if you want to do a survey.

Seriously, I would be interested in just 2019 versus now (Covid effect). We used to frequent Las Vegas and post Covid the prices have doubled/tripled and they still have record attendance. We haven't been since 2017 when the resort fee nonsense started the price escalation. Ramifications from the shutdown continue to this day.

8 minutes ago, So_Tweetie said:

It only seems odd until you realize that you are the exact demographic that Princess (all cruise lines) wants to capture as a repeat customer. 

Except for the fact that by paying the suite upcharge the Elite status provides no real value except maybe the 10% discount. Said differently, this promotion does not sway my decision making. 

Just now, slidemaster5 said:

Except for the fact that by paying the suite upcharge the Elite status provides no real value except maybe the 10% discount. Said differently, this promotion does not sway my decision making. 

You are still the desired customer - you spend more than most do per day and since you will receive no tangible benefit from becoming Elite, it costs Princess nothing to try and entice you with a title. It may not work on you but status and titles do sway a lot of people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slidemaster5 said:
2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Seriously, I would be interested in just 2019 versus now (Covid effect). We used to frequent Las Vegas and post Covid the prices have doubled/tripled and they still have record attendance. We haven't been since 2017 when the resort fee nonsense started the price escalation. Ramifications from the shutdown continue to this day.

Many, many shovels

2 hours ago, slidemaster5 said:

My first Princess cruise was 2005 (first cruise was in the 70s), and I still have miles to go.

I still remember some young Princess cruisers whining about this or that and then I looked looked at some old salts who just took it all in stride. Probably shaking their heads on the inside.

Posted (edited)

Great idea.  But for me it is worthless.  2 cruises (Jun 28 and Dec 2)  total of 30 days and no double day credit.  Rethink the dates Princess. I'm a HAL person since they (HIA) gives me some additional credit toward status.

Edited by goghd
Wordsmith
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

.  If Elite benefits are illusory, why does it matter if more people get them? 

The free laundry is not (as of now) illusionary, and I am shallow and selfish, that's why. 😝

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

And some of the old elites will also be leaving, for one reason or another.  We are not all spring chickens.  

Speak for yourself! 🤣

• Haha 1

This week on The Enchanted my Mom was invited to MTG at 425 days.  It was in Catch and she said the meal was fantastic. 

The cash grab has to do with why the stock tanked a couple weeks back. The packages are where the money is made and not the fare. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 9:54 AM, LACruiser88 said:

I believe you meant "will NOT" count towards Most Traveled Guest total.  The MTG's are based on actual sea days sailed, not cruise credits.

Then why did Princess say this on their website, lol…

IMG_9892.jpeg

On 6/20/2024 at 8:22 AM, LACruiser88 said:

You are correct and I was incorrect.  I just read the promotion from their web site (below), that was not clear in the press release.

ANY guest who purchases Princess Plus or Princess Premier package at least two days prior to sailing and who sails during the sailing time period (August 1 – December 1, 2024) qualifies and will have their cruise and # of days cruised count double towards their Captain’s Circle level achievement.

So, our 32-day cruise on the Coral in October will count as 64-days.  Not that we need the credits!  🤣

@MsSoCalCruiser  I corrected that post way back on page 1.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rosevew said:

Once again it would appear that this offer doesn't apply to UK passengers!! So disappointed.

Our friends across The Pond get discounts of up to 50% off (that I've heard of) on packages.  Personally I'd much prefer that.  Can't speak for my fellow Americans.  As has been discussed before, the some of the CC benefits are eroded if you already purchased a package.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SCX22 said:

Our friends across The Pond get discounts of up to 50% off (that I've heard of) on packages.  Personally I'd much prefer that.  Can't speak for my fellow Americans.  As has been discussed before, the some of the CC benefits are eroded if you already purchased a package.

The 50% off plus offer was just one weekend for the King's Coronation.

We struggle over here with moving up levels as we don't have the option of so many short cruises. In fact, there's only one cruise per year from the UK under 7 days.

Most of the benefits of Elite are not of interest to us but it would be nice to have priority on tenders since we, being British, are in the minority of people who wait until ready to disembark to get tender tickets which makes it so painful and slow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maiseric said:

IMG_0671.thumb.jpeg.4dd020842d36768ec76e71314239a219.jpeg

That's odd. I can't find it anywhere on the UK website and this is what the US T&C states.

I went on chat to Princess and was told that it didn't apply in the UK

Screenshot 2024-06-22 152736.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, rosevew said:

We struggle over here with moving up levels as we don't have the option of so many short cruises. In fact, there's only one cruise per year from the UK under 7 days

To the contrary, I fly to Europe so I can take longer cruises.  7 day cruises don't quite do it for me. 

This is the first time that a loyalty accelerator has been offered in the US.  We don't even know if this will continue past the 4 month pilot. 

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 1

Frankly, I find this promotion insulting to long-time Princess cruisers. It erodes the whole idea of achievement of loyalty awards and skews the accounting of days sailed.

Yet another bone-headed initiative from the worst cruise executive in the business and his merry band of nitwits in Princess Marketing.

While other lines are innovating and poaching their core customers, Princess continues to slap together hare-brained ideas clearly designed more for spreadsheets than people.

Padgett will be the Captain Smith of Princess.

Too harsh? Just ask any chatty crew member onboard!

• Like 2

Our cruise on SUN P - Premier included will run about $600 per day for the 2 of us - Cat DA Balcony.

Now for $600 per day we could continue past Fort Lauderdale, driving for about 4 more hours, and be at a very nice hotel in the Keys.  A Publix stop to stock up - beer, wine, champagne at Publix prices - maybe even a BOGO or 2.  

Are we priced out on Princess - maybe not yet, but definitely closer

• Like 1