What to prebook before cruise - Niew Statendam

Cruising in 6 days and will buy the wifi and laundry package in advance.

We don't plan to take any excursions as of now.

What else will save us money by pre booking?

I know some lines have offers when booking speciality dining in advance, eg a free bottle of wine if you book on the first night.

Thanks in advance. 

If you are Canadian I have been told the exchange rate on the website is more favorable so many Canadians also prepay crew gratuities.   I like to buy a nice bouquet of flowers.  They are a super value and last for days. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, blankston said:

Cruising in 6 days and will buy the wifi and laundry package in advance.

We don't plan to take any excursions as of now.

What else will save us money by pre booking?

I know some lines have offers when booking speciality dining in advance, eg a free bottle of wine if you book on the first night.

Thanks in advance. 

We have sailed on RC and are very familiar with their precruise sales on just about everything - drink packages, excursions,  speciality dining, dining packages etc …. But unlike RC, there are only a ‘few’ things on sale precruise on HAL.  Premium WiFi is generally ‘on sale’ as is HIA with drink package, speciality dining and WiFi - On ‘early bonus’ (ie booking when the cruise is first released) you might see premium drinks included along with crew gratuity(rare)and some extra OBC)  HAL doesn’t put excursions on sale (or I’ve never seen it) nor do they put special dining on sale instead they offer excursion credits and dining within the HIA package.   Hope this explains it!   Way too wordy!  Sorry.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

You can also save on certain Spa services if booked pre-boarding. 

We find Spa Services are also cheaper on port days. So if you're willing to give up time ashore, you can sometimes get deals on Spa Services. But those are usually advertised on board, or just noted in price differences on line prior to sailing.

13 hours ago, 2LoveBikes said:

Another item you will save on if pre-booked are the thermal rooms

Unless this is a recent change in the last few months, the Thermalpass is not discounted by pre-booking. Spa services, yes - Thermalpass, no.

I have use it many times by arranging through Ship Services.  The quoted price was $249.  All you have to do is show your receipt when you go onboard at Greenhouse SPA. When you go on board the price is higher at $299.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 5:32 AM, Mary229 said:

If you are Canadian I have been told the exchange rate on the website is more favorable so many Canadians also prepay crew gratuities.   I like to buy a nice bouquet of flowers.  They are a super value and last for days. 

Yes, this seems to be true for we Aussies as well.  I always pre-pay the Gratuities.  The cost is always shown in AU$, as opposed to everything else that is in US$.  The amount doesn't seem to change, even if booking a long time out, and I have found the exchange rate to be very generous.  Always better than it would have been if I had just let the daily amount accrue on my statement, and pay it all at the end of the cruise on the exchange rate of that day. 😃

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2024 at 3:32 PM, Mary229 said:

This is true

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 8:31 AM, NaughtyNanna said:

Yes, this seems to be true for we Aussies as well.  I always pre-pay the Gratuities.  The cost is always shown in AU$, as opposed to everything else that is in US$.  The amount doesn't seem to change, even if booking a long time out, and I have found the exchange rate to be very generous.  Always better than it would have been if I had just let the daily amount accrue on my statement, and pay it all at the end of the cruise on the exchange rate of that day. 😃

It changed in our country for the EUpayments. HAL values the Euro at $ 1 now, while the rate is US$ 1,07+  For a next cruise (withour HIA) I prefer paying the gratuities via our statement. The extra amount is not the problem but the idea is.  @VMax1700  You might be interested too Collin...

Edited by MAVIP

If the ship is sold out, I would book any excursions you want ahead of time.  You won't save money, but you will save the aggravation of standing in line to book them while onboard.  And to add, some of them will be sold out.

• Like 1

and here's a unique one:  purchase distilled water (for a CPAP or other) prior to the cruise for $2.95 a gallon...or pay $6 + for it on board.

Just now, ghstudio said:

and here's a unique one:  purchase distilled water (for a CPAP or other) prior to the cruise for $2.95 a gallon...or pay $6 + for it on board.

Seriously on my three previous cruises I never paid for distilled water for my CPAP!!  But, I have never sailed HAL before.

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

It changed in our country for the EUpayments. HAL values the Euro at $ 1 now, while the rate is US$ 1,07+  For a next cruise (withour HIA) I prefer paying the gratuities via our statement. The extra amount is not the problem but the idea is.  @VMax1700  You might be interested too Collin...

Thanks for the info, Lennie! 😉