Amazed and dismayed by FLL Hyatt Place Prices

handbellplayer

We have always stayed at the Hyatt Place Cruise Port for one night pre-cruise.  Last year in May for one night was about $250. I just checked the rate for the night of 11/1/24 and it's over $600.  I checked a few nearby hotels and most of them show no availability for that night.  Something must be going on in that area that weekend?  We love the HP because of the nearby restaurants and the ease of airport/port access, but would be willing to stay somewhere further from the port that was clean and had restaurants/bars within walking distance.  We can Uber from the airport and to the port if necessary.  I'm looking for alternatives.

The Boat Show sure does hike prices. One option popular with many cruisers is the Dania Beach area just south of the airport. Checking Nov 1, 2024, the prices are somewhat cheaper than the 17th St strip, but still high-ish. The ever-popular Riverside Hotel in Downtown FL is also very expensive that date. Another area that we've stayed in when prices near PE are particularly high is Plantation, west down the 595. Prices in Plantation don't tend to seasonally fluctuate nearly as much as in the other areas and is well served by lots of hotels, restaurants etc. Only downside to Plantation is a bit longer drive from FLL and PE. Checking Nov1, 2024 prices in Plantation are much lower than the other two areas.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The Boat Show sure does hike prices. One option popular with many cruisers is the Dania Beach area just south of the airport. Checking Nov 1, 2024, the prices are somewhat cheaper than the 17th St strip, but still high-ish. The ever-popular Riverside Hotel in Downtown FL is also very expensive that date. Another area that we've stayed in when prices near PE are particularly high is Plantation, west down the 595. Prices in Plantation don't tend to seasonally fluctuate nearly as much as in the other areas and is well served by lots of hotels, restaurants etc. Only downside to Plantation is a bit longer drive from FLL and PE. Checking Nov1, 2024 prices in Plantation are much lower than the other two areas.

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Fort Lauderdale boat show is the largest boat show in the world and brings in people from all over the world. Not a good weekend to be looking for a hotel in the area.

I understand that now, but I can't reschedule our cruise. 

Thanks to all for your advice.  I have booked the Riverside Hotel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, handbellplayer said:

I understand that now, but I can't reschedule our cruise. 

Thanks to all for your advice.  I have booked the Riverside Hotel.

Great hotel...great area....Las Olas will be a very busy spot for people dining that weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

OK.  Thanks.  Now I have the reason for the problem - now I just need a solution.....

1) Stay somewhere else. Dania Beach may be far enough. Or you may need to "head West, young man...."

2) Move your cruise.

• Like 1

We ran into the same problem looking for a hotel on October 20, 2023.  Taylor Swift is performing in Miami and LOTS of reasonably priced hotels are over $500 per night. We booked a junior suite at the Riverside for a great price!  We have never stayed there and are really looking forward to our stay.  🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spammie said:

We ran into the same problem looking for a hotel on October 20, 2023.  Taylor Swift is performing in Miami and LOTS of reasonably priced hotels are over $500 per night. We booked a junior suite at the Riverside for a great price!  We have never stayed there and are really looking forward to our stay.  🙂 

Same here. We needed a hotel for 18-19 October and ran into the same astronomical price gouging. I managed to grab the Riverside for less than half of what all the usual pre-cruise hotels were charging, and right after I booked it, even the Riverside had raised their prices. They are still much less than everyone else though. Sadly, we're flying in late so won't be able to enjoy the area.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, spammie said:

We ran into the same problem looking for a hotel on October 20, 2023.  Taylor Swift is performing in Miami and LOTS of reasonably priced hotels are over $500 per night. We booked a junior suite at the Riverside for a great price!

might want to triple check with them. Wouldn't want them to cancel it because they can get more money for the same room.

11 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

I am the OP.  Now that we've booked the Riverside, I'm actually looking forward to a different pre-cruise experience. 

Two questions:  1) I assume will need to cab/Uber to the hotel and to the port? and 2) is there any place near the hotel to purchase wine to carry on?

1:Yes....Uber would probably be the best to and from the hotel. 2: There is a Publix Greenwise just a few blocks from the Riverside 255 SE 3rd Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301, United States

Edited by bajathree

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Same here. We needed a hotel for 18-19 October and ran into the same astronomical price gouging. I managed to grab the Riverside for less than half of what all the usual pre-cruise hotels were charging, and right after I booked it, even the Riverside had raised their prices. They are still much less than everyone else though. Sadly, we're flying in late so won't be able to enjoy the area.

This is not price gouging. It is simple (and legal) supply and demand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Let's agree to disagree. Thanks for your input.

maybe its different in Canada, but price gouging in most of the US is illegal in most states.  So @CruiserBruce is correct - this isn't price gouging, its supply and demand - let me give you a preemptive "you're welcome for my input"  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruiser Who Knows Nothing said:

maybe its different in Canada, but price gouging in most of the US is illegal in most states.  So @CruiserBruce is correct - this isn't price gouging, its supply and demand - let me give you a preemptive "you're welcome for my input"  

When I said price-gouging I was simply referring to the practice of doubling or tripling a hotel price for a pop culture event like a concert just because people are prepared to pay for it. Of course I know it's legal, that doesn't make it right. Thanks for your input. Let's move on please.

35 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

When I said price-gouging I was simply referring to the practice of doubling or tripling a hotel price for a pop culture event like a concert just because people are prepared to pay for it. Of course I know it's legal, that doesn't make it right. Thanks for your input. Let's move on please.

Hyperbole doesn't help you sell your point...

On 6/25/2024 at 11:24 AM, spammie said:

Technicaly Miami, but actually between Miami and Fort Lauderdale at the Hard Rock stadium Miami Gardens. Both cities are expensive for hotels. 

On 6/22/2024 at 10:54 PM, Elaine5715 said:

2024 FORT LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL BOAT SHOW

OCTOBER 30, 2024 - NOVEMBER 3, 2024

Several years ago, I learned the hard way to check the dates for the boat shows in Fort Lauderdale or Miami prior to booking a cruise.  Also check major events like some concerts.

• Like 2