First Time Cruisers In November (won a free trip!)

mike4goa

This past winter I won a five day Bahama cruise at our company Christmas party.  My wife and I are going in early November through Carnival Cruise Lines.  The owner has been very generous and has paid for a balcony room and pre-paid the gratuities and has paid for our round trip flights from Indianapolis to Tampa and back.  As first time cruisers we admittedly don't know the ins and outs of cruising.  We have lots of questions that we have been researching but I'll try to limit most of this question to excursions or what to do on our stops.  We have one stop at Bimini and one at Nassau.  So many of the excursions have very mixed reviews we have been hesitant to book anything.  We are in our 40s and are not into the party/drinking scene at all.  What we are looking for is for at least one relaxing day at a beach, preferably one where we can be guaranteed a couple chairs and umbrella.  Maybe some sort of interesting food or historical tour at Nassau.  We just don't know what to look for or where to look as we have never done this.  Do we need to limit ourselves to the Carnival sponsored excursions or should we explore other options at these two stops and just rent a taxi or Uber (if they even have Uber) to get to other non-Carnival destinations?  We sure do appreciate your help and any and all advice!!!  (Other non-excursion advice/tips for first timers would be greatly appreciated as well.)  THANKS!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mike4goa said:

This past winter I won a five day Bahama cruise at our company Christmas party.  My wife and I are going in early November through Carnival Cruise Lines.  The owner has been very generous and has paid for a balcony room and pre-paid the gratuities and has paid for our round trip flights from Indianapolis to Tampa and back.  As first time cruisers we admittedly don't know the ins and outs of cruising.  We have lots of questions that we have been researching but I'll try to limit most of this question to excursions or what to do on our stops.  We have one stop at Bimini and one at Nassau.  So many of the excursions have very mixed reviews we have been hesitant to book anything.  We are in our 40s and are not into the party/drinking scene at all.  What we are looking for is for at least one relaxing day at a beach, preferably one where we can be guaranteed a couple chairs and umbrella.  Maybe some sort of interesting food or historical tour at Nassau.  We just don't know what to look for or where to look as we have never done this.  Do we need to limit ourselves to the Carnival sponsored excursions or should we explore other options at these two stops and just rent a taxi or Uber (if they even have Uber) to get to other non-Carnival destinations?  We sure do appreciate your help and any and all advice!!!  (Other non-excursion advice/tips for first timers would be greatly appreciated as well.)  THANKS!!

Always a good start to check to see if there is a Roll Call for your cruise/dates. Usually, some experienced cruisers who have been on your ship before and to these ports before. Congrats on the cruise win. Have a wonderful cruise. But be warned, cruising can be addictive.😄 

• Like 2

Just be aware that if you do anything on your own ensure you have the timing right to be back on ship at the designated time.  It’s quite common to do your own thing sightseeing-wise, just be mindful of times!   Enjoy yourselves.  And yes, as above, it can be addictive! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

Just be aware that if you do anything on your own ensure you have the timing right to be back on ship at the designated time.  It’s quite common to do your own thing sightseeing-wise, just be mindful of times!   Enjoy yourselves.  And yes, as above, it can be addictive! 

Good advice.  And be mindful that the ship sometimes has its own time that is not local time. It's called Ship's Time.

• Like 1

Just don’t forget to buy travel insurance. Travel insurance also includes medical coverage should you get ill or injured on your trip. Your US based insurance won’t be accepted outside of the US. Also know that you will probably be required to pay out of pocket up front for medical service but then can file for reimbursement when you return.

consider checking out www.TripInsuranceStore.com for a policy that meets your needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Just don’t forget to buy travel insurance. Travel insurance also includes medical coverage should you get ill or injured on your trip. Your US based insurance won’t be accepted outside of the US. Also know that you will probably be required to pay out of pocket up front for medical service but then can file for reimbursement when you return.

consider checking out www.TripInsuranceStore.com for a policy that meets your needs.

Thanks for mentioning this, I had no idea our insurance wouldn't be accepted in the Bahamas.  Would never have even thought of that.

24 minutes ago, mike4goa said:

Thanks for mentioning this, I had no idea our insurance wouldn't be accepted in the Bahamas.  Would never have even thought of that.

Your insurance may or may not extend you coverage outside the USA.  You need to check your policy.  If you call your insurer and they tell you that you are covered, ask them to e-mail you a copy of that section of the policy or the specific reference   

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Your insurance may or may not extend you coverage outside the USA.  You need to check your policy.  If you call your insurer and they tell you that you are covered, ask them to e-mail you a copy of that section of the policy or the specific reference   

Hank

You're correct Hank that they may have coverage.

I think the problem arises when someone (especially newbie international travelers) are surprised when they give the hospital or clinic, or even the cruise line medical center their insurance card expecting direct payment and it is denied.

7 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I think the problem arises when someone (especially newbie international travelers) are surprised when they give the hospital or clinic, or even the cruise line medical center their insurance card expecting direct payment and it is denied.

Ahhh, and there we have a different and very problamatic issue.  When it comes to insurance, be it your regular medical insurance or medical coverage from a travel policy or credit card...none of them routinely handle direct payment with providers outside of the USA.   What this means to most of us is that we must pay for our medical bills (often before we are discharged from a hospital) and later seek reimbursement from our insurer.  It can take weeks or months to actually get a claim paid, and meanwhile, the traveler must cover the bill(s).  Many travelers (especially younger folks) do not have a high limit on their credit cards.  So what is a person to do if they must settle a $12,000 hospital bill and none of their credit cards have that kind of limit?  And even if they can get their credit card company to temporarily increase their limit, they still will need to come up with the money (to pay the credit card bill) while they wait to settle with their insurer.

A real problem.

Hank

As far as excursions and beaches go, we have a board here called Ports of Call, where you can read and ask about independent tours and recommended beaches.  There is really nothing on Bimini except beaches, and you don’t need an excursion for that.  EM

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 11:08 PM, klfrodo said:

I called Blue Cross Blue Shield and explained the situation to them.  They said if there was an issue that arose while on the boat or one of the islands we would be covered at in-network rates so we do not need to purchase any travel insurance for our trip.  I do thank you folks for bringing this up as I had not thought about it.  

On 6/24/2024 at 10:18 AM, mjkacmom said:

We’ve been to Nassau several times, my favorite was a day pass to RIU, 15 minute cab ride, nice buffet and drinks are included as well. Definitely get travel insurance.

Thanks for the tip as what are looking at is enjoying a beach day at Bimini then exploring Nassau on our own.  We will look into the forum for ports of call and check it out.  Would I be correct in assuming it would be a good idea to take cash for our time there?  Guessing you wouldn't be able to use a credit card for shopping and taxi etc.  

3 minutes ago, mike4goa said:

Thanks for the tip as what are looking at is enjoying a beach day at Bimini then exploring Nassau on our own.  We will look into the forum for ports of call and check it out.  Would I be correct in assuming it would be a good idea to take cash for our time there?  Guessing you wouldn't be able to use a credit card for shopping and taxi etc.  

I know we used cash for taxis but I’m sure stores and restaurants accept credit cards. We did a day pass at Atlantis and it was credit card only for good and drink. Definitely do some research, it can be sketchy in some areas.