The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 24th, 2024

Today is International Day for Women in Diplomacy, International Fairy Day or Faerie Day, and National Take Back The Lunch Break Day

Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory.--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Meal Suggestion for today - Charred Green Beans with Mustard Vinaigrette & Hazelnuts
Drink of the Day - Wedding Cake
Wine of the Day - Meiomi Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Valencia, Spain

Today in History:
1901 1st exhibition by Pablo Picasso aged 19, opens in Paris
1916 Mary Pickford becomes the first female film star to get a million dollar contract

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 12:30 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Cobh, Ireland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska eta 06-25

Oosterdam

Rhodes Island, Greece 10:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 14:00

Volendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kodiak Island, Alaska eta 06-25

Zaandam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Zuiderdam

Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland 11:00 - 23:00
0624World.thumb.png.414a1b4a0c763933763c357f19f66102.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 25

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri feeling very fatigued from Covid

Lady Hudson’s friend having suffered a stroke, with some paralysis

Kazu and DD DH’s anniversary

Philadelphia police officer shot; Mass shooting at Arkansas grocery store

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Rafinmd’s church member Paul post pneumonia, slow recovery

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Sharon in AZ!

Happy Birthday to StLouisCruisers’ DD!

Smitty34877’s DB visiting to help out for a few days

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 19
  • Thanks 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's Monday!  I hope it's the start of a good week.

Not as hot today, but still humid.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk soon.  We got a good rain over the weekend.  The rain gauge shows 25mm (1 inch) of rain.  The gardens should be happy.

I celebrate women in diplomacy, not sure about fairies, a lunch break is important.

I don't understand the quote, but I've never read the Harry Potter books.

The meal sounds good.  I hope the drink isn't too sweet, I'm sure the wine is fine.

I've never been to today's port, but I'd like to.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a terrific day.  Stay cool.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Wedding cake Cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 cup ice
3/4 oz. gin
3/4 oz. amaretto liqueur
1/4 oz. orange juice
1/4 oz. pineapple juice
1/4 oz. cream

Directions:

In a blender, add the ice, gin, amaretto, orange juice, pineapple juice, and cream.
Blend Well
Pour into a hurricane glass.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 6.41.00 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 19

Good morning friends!  Today Zuiderdam was supposed to stop in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis and Harris, Scotland.   At 10 a.m. (5 a.m. Eastern time) just before time to line up for immigration slot cards the Captain announced that conditions overnight and this morning had created an unsafe navigation into the port.  We experienced 40 and 50 knot winds overnight.  It was also unsafe for the immigration officials who were waiting in Stornoway to make it out to the ship today.  So today will be a sea day and we will hopefully be able to get into Stornoway Tuesday.  We will have to skip Portree which was our next port of call.  Having been to Portree once I am sorry that so many will miss that nice little town, but am glad Stornoway is still being anticipated for tomorrow.  This has been quite a cruise for missing ports of call!  #4!!

Thank you Rich @richwmnfor today’s Daily and Fleet Report as well as the maps.  Three interesting days to recognize and I’m sure many of you are aware of the J. K. Rowling quote.  I think I’ll pass by the green bean dish, the drink sounds really sweet, and I will let someone else have my pinot noir.  Picasso must have been quite accomplished at an early age, and whoa on a million dollar contract for Mary Pickford in 1916.  That was a boatload of money in those days!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepardfor their reporting today.

Prayers for my DB, Alex’s twins, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, the troops in the area watching out for us, and those of us here on the Daily who have been sick or in pain.  Any good news on Tana?  Cheers to those with special events to celebrate today including my DD who turns 52!  Extra cheers to Sharon @Sharon in AZ who is celebrating her birthday as well.  Smooth seas to our cruisers!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today!

The port this day is Valencia, Spain which we had before on May 10, 2021, Jan. 18, 2022 and July 6, 2023.  I’ll post the links and some photos.  I’m sure many of you have some lovely pics to share today.

Hoping everyone is feeling well.  I have my ups and downs but today so far is a good one.  Take care!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

We were in Valencia, Spain on our 2018 Prinsendam Grand Voyage (Africa and Mediterranean).  It was a cloudy Sunday morning and we got into town by shuttle bus quite early.  No crowds but very little open either.  By the time we had walked all around the old town part it was beginning to wake up a little.

The entrance we were dropped off at.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

One of the few things open was this market.

The door to this "museum" was standing open, free admission so we stepped inside to see what it was all about. 

Basically, this was all we saw.  A foyer...

And this beautiful room.  Check out that ceiling!   Now that's ornate...

To continue on in town...

Arriving at the Valencia Cathedral we stepped inside for a look.

Those ceilings!

We walked around the old town some more and found a different gate out.  Then had to find the shuttle bus stop which we finally did.  An interesting stroll around Valencia.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for all the reports and information!!  

Woman can be wonderful diplomats!!  As for fairies...  they need their own day!  And we all NEED Lunch!!  And a BREAK to eat and enjoy it!!!

I'm not really a gin drinker, so I'll leave my wedding cakes to eating, not drinking!

Happiest of Birthdays to @Sharon in AZ

And also Happy birthday to @StLouisCruisers's DD!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  I woke at 5:45 this morning to a loud clap of thunder and the sound of a heavy rain.  Lovely.  But did not last long enough.  Roofus aka Clown stayed up on the roof, while he was wet when he came down, he hadnt been in the rain long enough to get off the roof. And @StLouisCruisers it was a pop up, nothing south of Atlanta. 

Im up this early to get Tigger to the vets, to get his toe nails clipped.  This cat has nails like no other cat I have had. I think he is a half breed with house cat and wild cat.  I dont mean feral I mean like small bobcat, lynx, tiger, Serengeti wild cat. HIs appointment is at 8, then come home and walk the dog, then maybe go back to sleep? Or get a new house key made.  DH couldnt open the front door from the inside the other day (we rarely use this door) and he went out to try and open the door from the outside, and his key broke off in the lock.

Also saw in the local news today that the road through Avondale Estates to get to the vets is going to cut from 4 lanes to 2 lanes.  They want that "feels like main street" feeling.  It is however the main road to Decatur and Atlanta from our area.

Off to start the day, Hugs to all!

http://www.lovethispic.com/uploaded_images/277002-Monday-Morning-Coffee.jpg

• Like 27

Good Monday morning everyone.  Thanks for the Daily and map Rich.   I will celebrate women in diplomacy and remember the late Madeline Albright who was a trailblazer.   I always take a lunch break and always did so at work.  I don't know what today's quote is about since I never read the HP books.   Thanks for the photos of Valencia @StLouisCruisers.   Happy birthday to your DD and I hope that you get to Portree to tomorrow.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana and Chuck.   Terri I hope that you are getting over your Covid symptoms and Jacqui I hope your foot isn't hurting too  badly.  Prayers for all in war zones and those suffering from hunger and famine.   Prayers for an Oakland County MI State Trooper who was killed in a traffic stop ambush.  Prayers for the family of the Hawaii lifeguard killed by a shark. 

A beautiful day ahead of us today but a large storm in the cards for tonight.   I may have to make a run to the Post Office this morning if my two shrubs I ordered on Etsy are delivered.   They are Kolkwitzia or Beauty Bush.  The one I put in 8 years ago is fabulous and I want to add two more.  About the only outlet with them available this year was a home grower on Etsy.   Have a nice Monday!  Nancy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Our glorious mornings are back. Lots of deer out having breakfast, and Bindi opted for a long walk. The rain of the past few days seems to have eliminated the humidity - for now. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. It is not an easy task. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores and wrapping up the day at a Paint & Sip party at my local wine bar. Maybe I will discover my inner Van Gogh - always loved his Irises & Starry night. 

IMG_3051.jpeg.ea11992572b510b0978f2308c65bde28.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg.e46bdb4609b17f1f2c86b019428f38d5.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg.9067999d1c681f16b2cc8eefe952b29e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. After yesterday’s multiple postings, I think I better post this here. Though Roy is one of those folk who deserves multiple birthday wishes!

@Sharon in AZ Happy Birthday! Sharon, may your new year be filled with laughter, love, great health & some cruises!

IMG_3005.jpeg.e35edd728b239c933a98cf4b0233635c.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Meiomi Pinot Noir

This has been my favorite Pinot Noir since 2012, when I first tasted its medium-bodied notes of blackberry and mocha. Its dryness is tempered by its smoothness. Easy to find, and reasonably priced. I would pick up the 2022 vintage, or the 2021vintage, if you can find it.  Online prices start at $12.97, but I usually spend around $16/bottle. 

Winemaker’s notes

The wine owes much of its complexity to its varied upbringing, unifying grapes from California's most notable winegrowing regions. Meiomi® Pinot Noir brings you structure and depth seldom seen in a Pinot Noir wine, thanks to its unique and meticulous aging process. Aged for six months in French oak barrels, this California red wine's juicy strawberry flavor and notes of dark berries and toasted mocha add complexity and depth on the palate.

Tasting Notes

Juicy Strawberry
Dark Berries
Toasted Mocha

Aromas

Bright Fruit Jam
Mocha
Oak

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Wedding cake Cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 cup ice
3/4 oz. gin
3/4 oz. amaretto liqueur
1/4 oz. orange juice
1/4 oz. pineapple juice
1/4 oz. cream

Directions:

In a blender, add the ice, gin, amaretto, orange juice, pineapple juice, and cream.
Blend Well
Pour into a hurricane glass.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 6.41.00 AM.png

I vow to drink this every day! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie.

Great collection o days and sadly that quote on Volemart applies today to some of the evil & bad intentioned in the world. 😔 Wedding cake cocktail is very appropriate since it’s our wedding anniversary 💔. Valencia is a great city to visit and we have enjoyed it.  Since we arrive on All Saints Day this fall, we are visiting the ancient city of Sagunto as well as Valencia.  It should be very interesting.

IMG_2511.thumb.jpeg.d2667e5a23907f1e997c1fce5e323d96.jpeg

We did get rain yesterday (yay!). It looks like rain again but it is not supposed to.  I fear if it doesn’t it will make the day muggy but we shall see.

IMG_2519.jpeg.b42e0a62339ff5d9a7882dd161280df8.jpeg

Whether I like it or not - back to the auto place to see what can be done about ths A/C.  I hate doing car jobs.  One of DD DH’s jobbs that I deplore doing.  It iw shat it is.

IMG_2510.thumb.jpeg.44ccfd411046c79c1a2bfcc734eef9ce.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2512.jpeg.8da220130f9a3789b8da5a3ba1cb480c.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

We went to Valencia during our last cruise June 9th- June 23rd.

It is a large city.

Our shuttle dropped us near a large shopping centre.

I wish everyone has a wonderful day.

IMG_20240614_094958.jpg

IMG_20240614_095917.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2