Monkeys?

2 hours ago, mosiegirl said:

Are there any excursions where someone might get the opportunity to hold a monkey??

What port?  Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay you definitely can.

58 minutes ago, Frank12 said:

What port?  Amber Cove and Mahogany Bay you definitely can.

we did monkeyland in Amber Cove, monkeys were all over you, on your head, arms legs,

they give you a small bowl of fruit snacks or so, and the monkeys are on you . 

7 hours ago, mosiegirl said:

Are there any excursions where someone might get the opportunity to hold a monkey??

Be careful what you ask for.  We stopped at a monkey reserve on Roatan at a cost of $12 pp.  While my wife was removing everything from around her neck, she stepped too close to the cage and the monkeys grabbed two handsful of hair and pulled.  I wish that I had a video

You will also get a chance to hold a sloth.

If I did this again, I would just take a cab to the preserve as it is pretty close to the port

On 6/24/2024 at 8:08 PM, hurricane0226 said:

we did monkeyland in Amber Cove, monkeys were all over you, on your head, arms legs,

We did the same excursion and loved it. You sit on benches around the walls of the enclosure and the monkeys use you as a stepping stone. The kids that were with us absolutely loved it (as did all of the adults).

OP, be aware that in some ports there will be people at the port with monkeys on a leash that they will let you hold and take pictures with for a fee/donation. Those monkeys are very likely drugged and are not being treated humanely at all. DW wanted to hold one in one port and I told her absolutely not, the poor thing can barely move (because of the drugs). I explained it to her later and she was glad that I stopped her from taking part.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:08 PM, hurricane0226 said:

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We did the same excursion and loved it. You sit on benches around the walls of the enclosure and the monkeys use you as a stepping stone. The kids that were with us absolutely loved it (as did all of the adults).

We did Monkeyland too and had a fun time, and got some great photos.  I remember it being a bit of a drive to get there, but we enjoy the drives, gives us a chance to see some of the country.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

OP, be aware that in some ports there will be people at the port with monkeys on a leash that they will let you hold and take pictures with for a fee/donation. Those monkeys are very likely drugged and are not being treated humanely at all. DW wanted to hold one in one port and I told her absolutely not, the poor thing can barely move (because of the drugs). I explained it to her later and she was glad that I stopped her from taking part.

This part.  They are often not treated humanely.  It's not uncommon that they have their teeth removed too, to prevent someone getting bit.  And yes, drugged.  Generally best to avoid most of these "experiences" from the random people in the port.

4 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Roatan...Victor Bodden tours... you get to hold a sloth, and interact with the monkeys, but not hold one as they are still wild and can bite. 

BoddenTours...20221116_105851.jpg

BoddenTours_20221116_104547.jpg

We did this tour with Victor last week. Yeah, the monkeys you cannot hold as they are a bit hyper and just jump from one person to another. The sloths, not so much - very gentle and huggable.

My disabled brother had a Capuchin assistance monkey as part of a test project, so I interacted far too much with monkeys, and no longer have any fascination with monkeys.  

As a cruise excursion, I would be concerned about bites, scratches and fleas, possibly leading to infections.  

• Like 1