Alaska excursion bogo 50% off second really a sale?

123go cruise

13 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

This sale is in  the US so what's in Asia is irrelevant.  BOGO coupons here mean buy one get one and the get one was free until some bean counter decided to squeeze it for more revenue. 

Not really.  Our grocery store advertises BOGO almost every week for buy-one-get-one-50%-off.  It does not necessarily mean get one free.  Here's a definition: "BOGO is an acronym that stands for “Buy One Get One”12. It is a sales promotion strategy used in the retail sector to indicate a promotion where customers can purchase one item and receive another item for free or at a discounted price1. Such offers provide customers with a free or significantly discounted item upon purchasing an initial product2."

Is this only one certain destinations?  I don't see it when I log in.

Edited by pompeii
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I access Princess website most days and over the last six months I have lost count of the number of times the prices of excursions have changed. In the main upwards.

It's a joke that causes the cruise lines to laugh all the way to the bank. All the lines do the same thing they aren't even original in their advertising. Probably the same advertising and web design departments just changing the banner to reflect the cruise line logo.

Holy cow!  I just checked excursions I had been looking at, and every one has increased by $10.00.  But the best one is the sanctuary bungalow at Princess Cays I was thinking about due to onboard credit - was $299.95 - now $449.95.  Because why???  

5 minutes ago, CATGUY7 said:

Holy cow!  I just checked excursions I had been looking at, and every one has increased by $10.00.  But the best one is the sanctuary bungalow at Princess Cays I was thinking about due to onboard credit - was $299.95 - now $449.95.  Because why???  

Royal Caribbean is getting $1500 for cabanas at Coco Cay...seems a bargain in comparison 🙃

I have B2B cruises for Sept 2024

1) Vancouver to San Francisco (3 days)

2) San Francisco to San Francisco (14 days)

1) Post cruise excursion is $74.95.  Since we are staying on the ship, can not take.

2) Post cruise excursion was only listed last week for $139,95. A difference of $65 for the same description of the excursion only 14 days later on cruise #1.  Now same excursion has jumped to $169.95.  A difference of $95 form the cruise #1 post cruise excursion.

2) Princess changed ports - Lahania to Kahului.  It took 2 months for them to add excursions when from their email would be listed in only a few weeks.
9 excursions were only listed on Saturday.  I purchased an excursion on Sunday for $329.95.

My sister on Tuesday tried purchasing the same excursion.  The excursion showed $329.95, when she clicked to pay it jumped to $394.95 within seconds.  A difference of $65.

My sister called into Princess.  She was told “Princess has no control of what the tour company charges”, my sister said “how can it change from one price with click to the pay page and jump $65” reply “Princess has no control of what the tour company charges”.

As the excursions as in US$, and I Canadian, I have the exchange rate on top of the all the new increases.

2 hours ago, CATGUY7 said:

So next week they can reduce it 30% for the 4th of July Red, White and Blue sale. They Make $15 more and you think you got a bargain. Win Win!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

A BOGO is buy one get one free NOT a discount on a second one. The second one at 50% off equates to a 25% discount for both.

Royal Caribbean advertises like that all of the time. I think Publix is the only one who gives the second item free but their original prices are double the price it should be to begin with.

This has become very annoying.  It started as excursion prices being inflated for a day or two before being offered on sale for 20% off (back to the original price).  Now they are far more inflated and in my case, they seem to be remaining so.  One excursion we had planned on has changed from $59.95 to $89.95 - hmm that's like a 50% jump. It has remained high for over two weeks.  Not sure if it is coming back down this time (cruise is still 7 months away). If these inflated prices remain the norm, it may spell the beginning of the end for us.  We still cruise for the destinations and like to do more Princess excursions than anything else, but that will not remain if these kind of prices persist.

1 hour ago, phabric said:

2) Princess changed ports - Lahania to Kahului.  It took 2 months for them to add excursions when from their email would be listed in only a few weeks.
9 excursions were only listed on Saturday.  I purchased an excursion on Sunday for $329.95.

My sister on Tuesday tried purchasing the same excursion.  The excursion showed $329.95, when she clicked to pay it jumped to $394.95 within seconds.  A difference of $65.

Unless this is a helicopter tour, you might be able to do better with an independent/on your own tour.  Which tour is this?  Maybe @Astro Flyercan chime in here.  

IF...it's to Haleakala or Road to Hana, I would definitely use a ship's tour.  Too much can happen that you may not make it back to the ship (especially if it is the last port).

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Unless this is a helicopter tour, you might be able to do better with an independent/on your own tour.  Which tour is this?  Maybe @Astro Flyercan chime in here.  

IF...it's to Haleakala or Road to Hana, I would definitely use a ship's tour.  Too much can happen that you may not make it back to the ship (especially if it is the last port).

It is - 

Best of Maui, Haleakala Center and Maui Ocean Center

8:30am-3pm with a meal

When we were going to Lahania, the price was lower with no meal.

If it makes you all feel better Celebrity is getting ready for a big sale too. The Drink package is up to $73.99 a day just for the classic package discounted from $89.99. Last week it was on sale for $53.99. Luckily I booked the cruise AI and paid $50 a day for the drink package and WiFi. It's a hard lesson to learn if you are new to cruising.

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

It evolved into what you posted  but originally was a buy one get one free. 

22 hours ago, dockman said:

Looks like the old double the price and then give a small discount and say see how nice we are to give you such a big discount.  I guess I am lucky that i did all the main alaska excursions years ago....a few excursions now can cost more than the price of the basic cruise fare.

Of course as long as passengers are willing to pay these prices no doubt the cruise lines will continue to push prices to see what the ceiling may be.  And for many an alaska maybe is once in lifetime trip so passengers hold their nose at the prices and just do it.

I am quite happy having done alaska cruise many times to get off and do a few hours hike/walk around the ports which fortunately is still free.  There are some good trails in skagway, juneau and ketchikan and a few other ports that can be found via online search.  Not everyone's cup of tea but i enjoy walking along a salmon stream or through a forest type area.

Think Walmart Rollback! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

47 minutes ago, phabric said:

It is - 

Best of Maui, Haleakala Center and Maui Ocean Center

8:30am-3pm with a meal

When we were going to Lahania, the price was lower with no meal.

Since we drive to Haleakala from our house, I checked Viator & to go there it’s $359. So having the Maui Ocean Center aquarium & a meal included, the Princess price is reasonable…particularly if eligible for the elite 10% discount.

Looking at all Maui tours prices are high possibly due to recovering from their economic disaster after the tragic deadly Lahaina firestorm. For the most recent month that I have read about, the number of Maui visitors has decreased by 25%.

For my Spring 2025 cruise, Royal Princess could not dock in Kahului because the only pier for cruise ships was already booked by another cruise line and thus the ship will be docked in Honolulu for 2 days.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Since we drive to Haleakala from our house, I checked Viator & to go there it’s $359. So having the Maui Ocean Center aquarium & a meal included, the Princess price is reasonable…particularly if eligible for the elite 10% discount.

Looking at all Maui tours prices are high possibly due to recovering from their economic disaster after the tragic deadly Lahaina firestorm. For the most recent month that I have read about, the number of Maui visitors has decreased by 25%.

For my Spring 2025 cruise, Royal Princess could not dock in Kahului because the only pier for cruise ships was already booked by another cruise line and thus the ship will be docked in Honolulu for 2 days.

Makes me feel good that Princess price is not too bad at $329.95, I am Elite so will get the 10% discount..

My sister tried to book 2 days after I had booked,  the excursion list page showed $329.95 and when she click to the next page, it had jumped to $394.95.  She is only Platinum so no discount.

39 minutes ago, phabric said:

Makes me feel good that Princess price is not too bad at $329.95, I am Elite so will get the 10% discount..

My sister tried to book 2 days after I had booked,  the excursion list page showed $329.95 and when she click to the next page, it had jumped to $394.95.  She is only Platinum so no discount.

That’s wrong for them to show one price & then when booking there’s a 20% price increase. 🙄

Hopefully the Haleakala portion of the tour will be first because as I can see from our house around midday clouds can cover the summit. Also at 10,000’ it’s about 30° cooler than at sea level and at that height there can be a risk for people who have heart issues. Nearly all of the Maui Ocean Center is indoors…it’s a nice way to get out of the heat. 🙂

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@phabric Keep checking your sister's excursion.  It may drop back to original after the sale.  Too bad she didn't have a screen shot or other "proof".

We already had a 20% Sale for Hawaii.  Princess checked for my sister if there was going to be a Sale and it doesn’t show for any.

• Like 1