Azamara Journey

Karen Lynn

5 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

Looking at a South Africa sailing in January 2026 and wondering what people think of this ship? She’s an older gal 🤭and reviews suggest she’s showing her age and looking tired … 

Anyone have any experience on this ship recently ?

thanks ! 

You don’t specify which ship, but actually it doesn’t matter as they are all the same. Yes they are old, but that doesn’t detract from the quality of the experience. We’ve done 13 Azamara cruises, with another booked for September. The main thing for us is the friendliness of the crew and the great passenger mix, as well as the food. 

6 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

Looking at a South Africa sailing in January 2026 and wondering what people think of this ship? She’s an older gal 🤭and reviews suggest she’s showing her age and looking tired … 

thanks ! 

In my view journey and quest who have both been in Azamara’s hands, the longest are in the best shape so you are lucky with journey on your cruise. They do maintain them as well as they can. You do have to recognise that some of the fixtures and fittings are an older design so do not expect to see a lot of Chrome and sparkle.  
I also prefer any ship, but onward because I like the library and it has been taken out an onward and a bar putting its place. There’s plenty other options without it.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Karen Lynn said:

thanks ! 

I was on Journey in March in Japan.  I've been on that ship many times and have always found her to be well maintained.  No exception this time.  She's 24 years old, but you'd not think it.  I look forward to a new Azamara ship, not because the older ships look tatty, but rather to bring the experience up to date. 

Phil  

• Like 6

Their ships were all built a year or so either side of the year 2000, so they are considered 'old'. We have sailed on 3 of those ships, and I can tell you they are very well maintained relative to their age. The soft furnishings and decor are excellent and amongst the best we have seen across 20 cruiselines and 59 cruise ships.

Recently we were on Seabourn Sojourn, which is a decade 'younger', and the Azamara ships condition is at least as good. Indeed, for a luxury cruiseline, we both remarked that the sun loungers around the pool areas were not as plush as Azamaras' are.

I see, from your signature details, like us you are well travelled in cruiseline terms. I see absolutely no grounds for concern. Book it, and enjoy, you will not be disappointed.

• Like 6

I was someone who posted in my Aug 2023 review that Journey was looking a little “tired”…to give you my context our first ever experience on AZ…Quest & Journey…was in 2016 & 2017 shortly after the top to bottom reimagining where carpets/furniture/soft goods (and a lot of other aspects) were brand new. And then we went on Pursuit’s maiden where all those aspects were also brand new. So yes, 8 years on from that refurbishment there’s been a lot of wear and tear. It’s not run down by any means…just not as shiny as it used to be. They also need to wash the windows more often…especially in Aqualina. But it will not impact your experience!

Three Journey cruises in the past 18 months and have no complaints.

Any wear and tear is insignificant, at least to me, compared to the wonderful experience and great service I receive on board.   And I like the food and the itineraries.  

Nothing is falling apart.  No scary stains on the rugs.  No areas lacked paint.  Everything worked (although years ago I had AC issues in a room, and another room had toilet issues, don't remember what ship, but everything was fixed as soon as I reported it).  

Look at the many pictures online and if you think the decoration is not to your liking, then you may want to try a different cruise line.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 10:16 PM, cruiseaholic78 said:

If you are looking at the cruise starting on 4th January 2026 I suggest you do not wait long, this one is so popular and there are lots of bookings already.

We booked Thursday and there were only 65 or so cabins left.  

Liz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1