Dumbing Down & Dressing Down: The New Cunard?

9 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Good Golly Miss Molly...

226 posts and counting on this? Methinks we have talked it to death. 

Still a long way to go to catch up to the "New Dress Code Designations?" thread I started back in 2018 when Cunard switched from "Formal" and "Informal" to "Gala Evening" and "Smart Attire" for their dress code terminology. That thread went on for 907 posts before it was shut down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Not at all.

The respect for all was aimed at those who look down on some with regards to dress. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anachronistic referred to the idea of a cruise line living in the past. If you want to extrapolate that to involve passengers, if the cap fits and all that, feel free.

As to your point i, what's wrong with it? It's a fact those who can no longer cruise won't be worried what others wear. I could have said those who will no longer be with us but decided that was a bit 'much'! 😃

Still strikes us as somewhat inconsistent, despite your protestations to the contrary.  Nevertheless, we "respect" your contrasting view! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It is an implied comparison. The standards are outlined. There will always be those who push to see how far they can go. The hard part is to enforce it.

Phew, I thought we may have been getting into Scooby Doo territory, as if all would be fine if it wasn't for those meddling kids😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, missson1967 said:

Still strikes us as somewhat inconsistent, despite your protestations to the contrary.  Nevertheless, we "respect" your contrasting view! 🙂 

As I said, cap fits and all that but thank you for 'respecting' my comment even if you disagree with me. 😀

• Like 2

19 hours ago, King Amo said:

Phew, I thought we may have been getting into Scooby Doo territory, as if all would be fine if it wasn't for those meddling kids😁

I don't travel on school holidays, so I haven't seen lots of kids on a Cunard ship, but the few I have were well behaved. On gala/formal nights, I love to see a family all dressed up. Often, it's because they want to have their picture taken. I've seen families waiting their turn for the photographer, and the kids aren't whining or wriggling or tugging at their collars or looking uncomfortable. They "get" that it's a special occasion and seem happy to participate.

Perhaps for kids it's a chance to have a "grownup" moment. Too bad some grownups don't feel that way.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 7/2/2024 at 2:04 PM, S1971 said:

Hit the nail on the head.

Cunard enforces the dress code not the customer, if people don't like the changes the simple answer is to switch cruiseline, albeit they'd be hard pressed to find another as formal nowadays, that in itself tells a story, most people don't want it anymore.

That is why Cunard is so important for those of us that do want to dress for the occasion.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't travel on school holidays, so I haven't seen lots of kids on a Cunard ship, but the few I have were well behaved. On gala/formal nights, I love to see a family all dressed up. Often, it's because they want to have their picture taken. I've seen families waiting their turn for the photographer, and the kids aren't whining or wriggling or tugging at their collars or looking uncomfortable. They "get" that it's a special occasion and seem happy to participate.

Perhaps for kids it's a chance to have a "grownup" moment. Too bad some grownups don't feel that way.

One of the most cheering things is how well Cunard children almost invariably behave. This may be because of the courteous and adult way the crew treat them.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

That is why Cunard is so important for those of us that do want to dress for the occasion.

Absolutely agree, the problem I guess is that Cunard are probably following the trend for a less formal approach based on customer feedback.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how one would go about protecting against the "dumping down".

5 minutes ago, S1971 said:

Absolutely agree, the problem I guess is that Cunard are probably following the trend for a less formal approach based on customer feedback.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how one would go about protecting against the "dumping down".

There in lies the problem....following a trend not setting one.

If they can have cruises for everyone from nudists through to Elvis impersonators can't we keep Cunard for those of us that do still want to dress for the occasion? 

I say elevate the dress code, don't dumb or dump it. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

But no-one is saying you can't do that.

The dress code is clear.

Regardless of what the dress code is though - you will always find people not following it to the wording on the Cunard website, and I suspect not to the standard to which you believe it should be followed. 

Further, there will still be passengers navigating the ship on any evening - Gala or otherwise - who choose to remain casual and visit the causal venues to do so, as is indicated by Cunard. You can't scurry those casually dressed off to avoid your gaze!

2 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

can't we keep Cunard for those of us that do still want to dress for the occasion? 

I'm sorry this is just a little silly, the vast majority of passengers will follow the dress code as it is communicated to passengers. You can wish for it to be more, but ultimately, it's up to Cunard what the dress code is, and how well it's enforced - not passengers. You're implying that other people don't want to dress for the occasion. Unfortunately, dressing for the occasion is different for different people, hence the flexibility in the Cunard Dress Code - nothing is stopping you, or anyone else, going beyond it, or following the code as it is given. 

Comments like this just make me think a minority of people on here think people like me are beneath them and we're taking something away from them! It's just a dress code, the majority will follow it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

If they can have cruises for everyone from nudists through to Elvis impersonators can't we keep Cunard for those of us that do still want to dress for the occasion? 

The Cunard advisories are what they are and in our experience, the majority of the ship follows them and as anyone can  black tie it every night if they want to, no need to elevate anything.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, DukeBeetle24 said:

But no-one is saying you can't do that.

The dress code is clear.

dressing for the occasion is different for different people (The Minority), hence the flexibility in the Cunard Dress Code - nothing is stopping you, or anyone else, going beyond it, or following the code as it is given. 

Just a thought….

Is there anything stopping The Minority going beyond the dress code?
If there is no impediment, why don’t they?  This will end any future exchanges on this subject.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

Just get rid of the Red and Gold theme, I am having issues with it.🤔🤪

In fact lose the themes, just say Gala nights IMVHO.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a thought….

If there is no impediment, why don’t they?  This will end any future exchanges on this subject.

Oh yes, referring to people as "the minority" is great. Well done. 

Just a thought... Why should they go beyond if a) they don't have to, and b) they don't want to?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a thought….

Nothing is stopping me and I DO dress above the "smart casual" as well as going formal for gala nights. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a thought….

There isn't anything stopping them, and is no impediment. They choose not to, however, and have no reason to do so. And why would anyone who is more comfortable dressing to the code, but not more, opt to over dress?

9 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

Don't fret about themes.

I happen to dress to black and white as I have so many  black long dresses. Other than that, couldn't give a toss about any themes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Judyrem said:

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am of that opinion I don’t like the red dress I used to wear. I am just wearing black this time. 

My wife didn't like the dress she used last time, and it was far too big anyway. She gave it away and we found one that is a much better match to Cunard Red. And it's even getting a land based outing later this year for a function she's holding in a venue that suits a red & gold theme.

But she likes most colours, whereas she needs lots of bling to make black suit her complexion.

However we only follow the themes if it suits us. The daily programmes are fairly clear that themes are an optional part of participation in a gala night, stating: "Guests are welcome to embellish their Gala Evening attire to fit the applicable theme of the evening."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WELL...

A factor in why I like and travel with Cunard is that I like the traditional nature including the smarter dress code. 

IMO it does detract from formal nights when people are milling around in casual wear, though I am also perfectly happy with the theme nights being hit over the head and thrown overboard. A ship full of grown adults dressed up for Roaring Twenties is a bit odd.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2