Liberty v. Independence: Teens

GetToLivin

I'm considering a Spring Break cruise in March 2025 and I'll have two teens with me (15 and 17). I'm wondering for those who have sailed recently, if there were any differences worth mentioning for teens as far as stuff to do? Looks like Independence was amped in 2018...is it still the case that Libery is scheduled for dry dock in early 2025 and do we know what that'll include? As always, thanks for any help 😀

24 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I'm considering a Spring Break cruise in March 2025 and I'll have two teens with me (15 and 17). I'm wondering for those who have sailed recently, if there were any differences worth mentioning for teens as far as stuff to do? Looks like Independence was amped in 2018...is it still the case that Libery is scheduled for dry dock in early 2025 and do we know what that'll include? As always, thanks for any help 😀

I think the waterslides on Liberty are better if that is a factor the teens.  Indy has been amped so they have playmakers which is a plus but I'm not sure if that plays into your question.  Otherwise, they are really really similar.

• Thanks 1

From the recent Freedom vs. Independence thread:

On 6/27/2024 at 12:33 PM, dragontrainer said:

Currently Freedom and Independence are both listed as having the Coke Freestyle machines, Liberty does not have them.

Ships with and without the machines factor into my decisions as you note.

This might matter to a couple teenagers. Otherwise, they got the same answer that they are all basically interchangeable. Go with itinerary. 

thread:

Edited by RobInMN
  • Thanks 1

Been on both this year and as others have mentioned they are incredibly similar. The Coke Freestyle someone else mentioned might be something that makes Indy better if you are planning on getting them the soda package. Looks like they are both doing the same Nassau and CocoCay stops during that time period so I would probably decide based on where you are flying into. Southwest is usually my best option since I am flying out of Nashville and Fort Lauderdale usually works out better for me to fly into so I would lean toward Liberty out of Fort Lauderdale. But I would think Indy might be better out of Miami if you plan on flying American. That would probably make the decision for me.

• Thanks 1

Ok so just to clear things up a bit, Liberty was due to go into drydock during COVID, but that got delayed, and if I remember correctly, she's due to go in later this year or early next year, and will get the same updates her sister, Freedom got after her amplification.

Liberty and Indy are sister ships, along with Freedom. I just travelled with a pre-teen on Libby, she wasn't a fan of the ship since it currently doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. If budgets are an issue, Libby is still a great ship that packs a punch. 

If you can wait until she's amplified, I might do that. Otherwise I'd consider one of her sister ships or possibly something in the Quantum or Oasis class.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Ok so just to clear things up a bit, Liberty was due to go into drydock during COVID, but that got delayed, and if I remember correctly, she's due to go in later this year or early next year, and will get the same updates her sister, Freedom got after her amplification.

Liberty and Indy are sister ships, along with Freedom. I just travelled with a pre-teen on Libby, she wasn't a fan of the ship since it currently doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ships. If budgets are an issue, Libby is still a great ship that packs a punch. 

If you can wait until she's amplified, I might do that. Otherwise I'd consider one of her sister ships or possibly something in the Quantum or Oasis class.

What amplifications do you think she will get that will be worth waiting for? Playmakers? Maybe an El Loco Fresh? The actually took away a free sauna and steam room from Freedom when they amped her. I am hoping for less of an "amp" like Indy got instead of one like Freedom got when Liberty goes for hers.

29 minutes ago, jasong38501 said:

What amplifications do you think she will get that will be worth waiting for? Playmakers? Maybe an El Loco Fresh? The actually took away a free sauna and steam room from Freedom when they amped her. I am hoping for less of an "amp" like Indy got instead of one like Freedom got when Liberty goes for hers.

I could do without El Loco Fresh, but would love to see a Playmakers onboard. Would love to see the Lazer Tag too.

I'd LOVE for them to redo the slides slightly. I'm a 6ft tall slender girl who got stuck on both slides on every turn. Angling them a little differently and adding more water pressure would make a huge difference .

Hope they keep the deeper pool in the Solarium but would love to have it be a covered pool.

Would love to see them amp the arcade a bit, there was hardly anyone in there.

And I KNOW that this isn't likely to happen, but I'd love to see them add "The Ultimate Abyss".

Finally, I was quite surprised to see there weren't any Freestyle machines like some of the more recent ships have. This would be an advantage if you have the drink package vs having to wait at the bar.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

Liberty received updates before the amplification program existed.  Things like a proper Suite Lounge, water slides, more cabins and a few other things.  They didn't call it amplification back then.  Her slides are unique in the fleet.

Not all applications are equal.  Just look at sister ships Indy and Freedom.  That was before the pandemic.  Voyager versus Navigator is another example of ships in class getting very different amplifications.   

Royal has not said exactly what Liberty will get to complete her amplification. We can hope for a Playmakers but Voyager didn't get one in her amp.  We can hope for ELF but that isn't a given either.  

Liberty doesn't need extensive work to call her amped.  Maybe they'll do the resort style pool deck.  Maybe they won't.  Indy didn't get it like Freedom's at least.  

To date Freedom got the best amp in the class.  Where will Liberty land?  No one knows.  Certainly not any TAs.  Royal may still be figuring it out depending on cash flow and trying to pay debt down.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for the responses so far 🙂 We have only sailed Oasis class with the teens so they are used to those bells and whistles, but prices seem a bit excessive for 4-nights.

The waterslides are probably the biggest deal followed by laser tag, sports deck, or things of that nature. It's a short cruise (4 nights, exact same itinerary) so I'm not stressing over it, but I didn't know if anyone knew what amenities were in store for Liberty yet as far as her dry-dock. 

I'm not sure there will be a dry dock for Liberty in 2024 or 2025.  I looked through a list of Liberty cruise prices and the only breaks I saw were for a couple of days to switch departure ports.  I've been watching with the hope Coke Freestyle machines find a way onto the ship before August 2025, but it's not looking promising. 

I am struggling to find the last dry dock date (searches with the name "Liberty" are not straightforward for Royal Caribbean these days), but I'd guess the ship will be the same in March as it is now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dragontrainer said:

I am struggling to find the last dry dock date (searches with the name "Liberty" are not straightforward for Royal Caribbean these days), but I'd guess the ship will be the same in March as it is now.

Based on the "Deployment 2026-27 Booking Season Begins" thread, Liberty is heading to Southampton for the 2026 UK season, so I would expect a drydock at the beginning or end of the UK season.

• Thanks 1