Help! Are all celebrity cruises for people over 55?

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

I prefer realism to sitting around holding hands.  I thought Boomers were going to fix all the world’s problems when I was a kid.

That's news to me....and profiling from you.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

That's news to me....and profiling from you.   

Why would a younger person want only younger people on their cruise?  They like to party?  They have similar perspectives?  It does not bother me one bit if someone wants to cruise with a younger crowd.  I choose to live in a place with all age groups but I don’t expect the 20 somethings to come over for dinner.

I think Celebrity is a good option between Virgin and Viking.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

Cerf and Kahn were born before and during WW II.  Berners-Lee was born in 1955.  ARPANET was 1969.  Andreessen was born 1971.  So I’m sure college grads in the 60s (Boomers) were involved in the early internet in some way.

I have a t-shirt I have worn on a couple of cruises that received more than a few comments.  It is a black t-shirt with white lettering on the front that says  "I am older than the Internet"   🤣

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

Any technology is based on what came before.  Are you suggesting the modern internet was invented in 1945?

No, it was not.  The internet grew from a government funded network named ARPANet which went live around 1966.  I once met Vint Cerf, considered by some as one of the fathers of the modern Internet.  He had some interesting stories to tell about the early days of the Internet. 

• Thanks 1

Wiki has this..

The word internetted was used as early as 1849, meaning interconnected or interwoven.[12] The word Internet was used in 1945 by the United States War Department in a radio operator's manual,[13] and in 1974 as the shorthand form of Internetwork.[14] Today, the term Internet most commonly refers to the global system of interconnected computer networks, though it may also refer to any group of smaller networks.[1

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

I prefer realism to sitting around holding hands.  I thought Boomers were going to fix all the world’s problems when I was a kid.

What were you smoking. 🙃

23 hours ago, Levukk said:

Hello,
I'm sailing next month on the Apex and I have a friend who just finished her cruise on the Anthem of the Seas with Royal Caribbean. She mentioned that on these large ships, most services are now automated, and she used the cruise app a lot, like even to request extra towels.

Since I have never sailed with Celebrity Cruises, I wonder if they have a similar system with less interaction with the crew. Personally, I still prefer to interact with crew members for help.

No, no towel deliver by software just yet, but they have just instituted a means for contacting your butler digitally.

When this starts delivering the towels, I'm done!

Rosie.jpg.11060f4ac1d2b4d19ec5aefd7a79fcf3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on the port and ship. I went on Reflection out of Florida, and it was a very old crowd, but I did Solstice out of Seattle and LA and it felt more balanced. Apex was completely different, although it was March, so a lot of well-off younger professionals took their teens on board, many even paying for the Retreat for them. The majority of people I saw on Apex seemed like young professionals, managers. So it's a newer ship, costs more, has more vibrant dining, bars, and shows, so you will get more people with money and more young people looking for modern design and edgy art and entertainment. Edge-class ships are the cutting edge, which most reviews show, so while you'll get people of all ages, I think the ship and shows and experience are so superior that it outweighs any issue I would have about passengers. I think that the current huge cruising demand also means that all cruise lines are getting age-homogenized, with lots of young people, families, LBTQ+, and people from all nationalities visible on all ships I've been on, even HAL, Princess, and Cunard. I'm going on Beyond next, but I wouldn't go out of an older Celebrity ship out of Florida again, because it felt too much like seniors in Florida going out on a bargain cruise with a bad vibe (constant marital bickering and complaining and crowds), whereas Apex had a really good vibe.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rj59 said:

It depends on the port and ship. I went on Reflection out of Florida, and it was a very old crowd, but I did Solstice out of Seattle and LA and it felt more balanced. Apex was completely different, although it was March, so a lot of well-off younger professionals took their teens on board, many even paying for the Retreat for them. The majority of people I saw on Apex seemed like young professionals, managers. So it's a newer ship, costs more, has more vibrant dining, bars, and shows, so you will get more people with money and more young people looking for modern design and edgy art and entertainment. Edge-class ships are the cutting edge, which most reviews show, so while you'll get people of all ages, I think the ship and shows and experience are so superior that it outweighs any issue I would have about passengers. I think that the current huge cruising demand also means that all cruise lines are getting age-homogenized, with lots of young people, families, LBTQ+, and people from all nationalities visible on all ships I've been on, even HAL, Princess, and Cunard. I'm going on Beyond next, but I wouldn't go out of an older Celebrity ship out of Florida again, because it felt too much like seniors in Florida going out on a bargain cruise with a bad vibe (constant marital bickering and complaining and crowds), whereas Apex had a really good vibe.  

I don’t mind young people on board or in the Retreat as long as they are considerate of other pax.  Same rules for anyone.  No Bluetooth speakers.  No speaker phone calls.  Now, if they would just stop splashing me in the pool.  😭

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Wiki has this..

The word internetted was used as early as 1849, meaning interconnected or interwoven.[12] The word Internet was used in 1945 by the United States War Department in a radio operator's manual,[13] and in 1974 as the shorthand form of Internetwork.[14] Today, the term Internet most commonly refers to the global system of interconnected computer networks, though it may also refer to any group of smaller networks.[1

There is a large difference between the term and the network that is called the internet.  \

The internet referred to in the radio operator's manual was an high frequency network. 

The internet we know today grew from the ARPANET and ALOHAnet.  I believe that of the first uses of the modern internet was to exchange data between the government and government sponsored research laboratories at universities across the US.  (p.s. have not looked a Wikipedia so I am working with what has been known to be faulty memory). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

No speaker phone calls.

So how do you feel about phone calls in the Retreat Lounge and in Luminae that are not speaker calls but ones where you could only hear the person in the venue conducting his business but could not hear the other party.   One of the few times I wish I had Bluetooth speakers to fire up and play music while he was holding his conversation. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, canderson said:

No, no towel deliver by software just yet, but they have just instituted a means for contacting your butler digitally.

When this starts delivering the towels, I'm done!

Rosie.jpg.11060f4ac1d2b4d19ec5aefd7a79fcf3.jpg

Totally agree.  That also goes for massages....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

So how do you feel about phone calls in the Retreat Lounge and in Luminae that are not speaker calls but ones where you could only hear the person in the venue conducting his business but could not hear the other party.   One of the few times I wish I had Bluetooth speakers to fire up and play music while he was holding his conversation. 

MY HUSBAND LIKES TO TELL ME THAT WHEN I’M TAKING CALLS ON MY HEADPHONES, I TALK TOO LOUDLY.

If they modulate their voice down it doesn’t bother me.  At the pool today some parent was FaceTiming with their kid on speakerphone.  It was slightly annoying, being right next to it.  

The free sample of pepperoni pizza from the cafe made up for it.

Edited by zitsky

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

If they modulate their voice down it doesn’t bother me.  

i guess it does bother me if I can hear them and I am 20 feet away. 

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

At the pool today some parent was FaceTiming with their kid on speakerphone.  It was slightly annoying.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.  Outdoors in a public space I don't have an issue.  This is how my DW and I speak with our children/grandchildren so both of us can see, be seen, hear and be heard at the same time.  Granted 90% of the time we do it when we are in our room or on our balcony but they do occasionally contact us and we take the call if we are in an outside venue, otherwise we text them and tell them we will call them back first chance we get. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

i guess it does bother me if I can hear them and I am 20 feet away. 

We are going to have to agree to disagree here.  Outdoors in a public space I don't have an issue.  This is how my DW and I speak with our children/grandchildren so both of us can see, be seen, hear and be heard at the same time.  Granted 90% of the time we do it when we are in our room or on our balcony but they do occasionally contact us and we take the call if we are in an outside venue, otherwise we text them and tell them we will call them back first chance we get. 

If you are FaceTiming at the pool, what do you do when the person next to you does the same?  Does it make a difference if I am on speakerphone or playing music?

8 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

Are you on a holiday cruise or land based pool?  Which ship?

I am not on a cruise right now.  I am not referring to a Celebrity cruise ship but the principle still applies.  If someone wants to have a loud FaceTime call next to me, I might suddenly forget where my headphones are when I listen to Billy Idol.  

I’m polite up to a point until someone else decides to not be.  I may ask “do you mind turning that down?” and if they continue well I may need to listen to some relaxing Ozzy Osborne.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

If you are FaceTiming at the pool, what do you do when the person next to you does the same?  Does it make a difference if I am on speakerphone or playing music?

I have wireless earbuds that I try to take anywhere I might want to drown out background noise - most public spaces, some pubs, beaches, planes, cruise ships. Mine are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and have a setting how much background noise they cancel out. Usually I don't mind if people are on phones as long as they are talking like the other person is next to them and they don't slow down lines and such.  But then there's the type that are talking loudly because they want everyone to hear their conversation - earbuds go in.  Making more noise makes it worse on others around me - and so far this has been the best solution I've found.

3 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I have wireless earbuds that I try to take anywhere I might want to drown out background noise - most public spaces, some pubs, beaches, planes, cruise ships. Mine are waterproof and very comfortable to wear and have a setting how much background noise they cancel out. Usually I don't mind if people are on phones as long as they are talking like the other person is next to them and they don't slow down lines and such.  But then there's the type that are talking loudly because they want everyone to hear their conversation - earbuds go in.  Making more noise makes it worse on others around me - and so far this has been the best solution I've found.

I understand what you've written.  I have many sets of headphones and earbuds.  I'm very familiar with "noise canceling mode".  If someone chooses to be inconsiderate don't expect me to just sit there.  If they play loud music, well so can the rest of us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m polite up to a point until someone else decides to not be.  I may ask “do you mind turning that down?” and if they continue well I may need to listen to some relaxing Ozzy Osborne.

If no one else is near enough to be doubly bothered, I think it's perfectly fine to make your own ambiance.  I saw blue tooth speakers on a 'not allowed' list on one of the lines I researched (not sure if it was celebrity) - I have never seen them on a ship so I don't know if there was an issue or if it is preventative.

26 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

If no one else is near enough to be doubly bothered, I think it's perfectly fine to make your own ambiance.  I saw blue tooth speakers on a 'not allowed' list on one of the lines I researched (not sure if it was celebrity) - I have never seen them on a ship so I don't know if there was an issue or if it is preventative.

Is it really that hard to expect basic courtesy from people?  I think you underestimate the size of your “ambience”.  You think only someone within 5 feet can hear it.  Not so in my experience.  I have tinnitus but otherwise my hearing is quite good.  But a lot of outside noise makes it worse not better.

Why is everyone not using headphones or earphones?  If grandma and granddad have to check up on the baby I can understand that.  But I won’t sit there for 30 minutes without an “excuse me that’s a bit loud”.

I once ate at a shared table in a restaurant when the person 2 feet away started blaring loud music from his cellphone.  Yes I asked him to turn it down.

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is it really that hard to expect basic courtesy from people?  I think you underestimate the size of your “ambience”.  You think only someone within 5 feet can hear it.  Not so in my experience.  I have tinnitus but otherwise my hearing is quite good.  But a lot of outside noise makes it worse not better.

I think you read that differently than I intended.  I agree you specifically playing your music (your ambiance) loud enough to drown out any noise someone else is making is perfectly fine.  If I knew what you were doing, I'd find it funny.  But if 3 others started cranking up different songs, I sure hope I had my earplugs with me.