The Origin Story

ToBe

37 minutes ago, ToBe said:

How many times have you had the Origin Story on the Main  Stage the first night of the cruise? How often have you gone? Have you ever not seen had the Origin Story?

I don't remember when it started, but since then it's pretty common to be showing on the first night. I tend to cruise twice a year - can only recall 1 recent cruise where it wasn't shown on the first night, and that cruise they did it on a later day but during daytime. I've seen it once - on my 2nd cruise since they started it, and on a 2nd (morning or afternoon on a sea day) showing that cruise. I felt it was well done, but not something I'd attend repeatedly.

Typically first night we book specialty dining for a bit later time than we do on other nights. After dinner it's then time for BB Kings or other music venues to be getting started with their first set, so that's why I missed Origin Story until I caught it during daytime.

Sue/WDW1972

56 minutes ago, ToBe said:

How many times have you had the Origin Story on the Main  Stage the first night of the cruise? How often have you gone? Have you ever not seen had the Origin Story?

We see it once per year, it is not always on the first night.  We have seen it three or more times.  We only see it on longer cruises above 50 plus days.  Won't watch on shorter cruises under 20 days.

53 minutes ago, ToBe said:

How many times have you had the Origin Story on the Main  Stage the first night of the cruise?

We saw a "rough draft" of the Origin Story on the maiden voyage of the Rotterdam in 2021. I say "rough draft" because they had many of the same slides from the Covid chaos and told the portion of the Origin Story dealing with getting the crews home during Covid. 

22 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

How often have you gone?

Once. 

It's a great presentation if you are interested in the history of Holland America Line....We love it and enjoyed it...

23 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Have you ever not seen had the Origin Story?

The Origin Story has been shown on every HAL cruise we've boarded since Rotterdam 2021.......beginning with the Nieuw Amsterdam in late 2021 to the Oosterdam in 2024.

It has been on every sailing I've been on, starting sailing HAL after covid.

I have never seen it and have no desire to.

I don't think it should be main stage evening entertainment. Keep it to afternoons or in the theatre that they use for movies.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, electro said:

I don't think it should be main stage evening entertainment. Keep it to afternoons or in the theatre that they use for movies.

It is well worth seeing once, or maybe twice.  And it is very good if you are interested in history in general and the history of ships and cruise ships in particular.  I would be surprised if someone who has taken more than on cruise on HAL, would not like it.  I would agree that it should not be the evening entertainment on the main stage on a 7-day or shorter cruise since there are few opportunities to see entertainment, but for longer cruises, I think it is OK.  The problem with much of HAL's entertainment is that it is too repetitive for people who cruise more than once every couple years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

It is well worth seeing once, or maybe twice.  And it is very good if you are interested in history in general and the history of ships and cruise ships in particular.  I would be surprised if someone who has taken more than on cruise on HAL, would not like it.  I would agree that it should not be the evening entertainment on the main stage on a 7-day or shorter cruise since there are few opportunities to see entertainment, but for longer cruises, I think it is OK.  The problem with much of HAL's entertainment is that it is too repetitive for people who cruise more than once every couple years. 

You are right about repetitive but HAL did have a new show on the Volendam for the Canada/New England cruise in June. It is Breton Thunder and it was fabulous. It was music of Cape Breton and the East coast.

I am on the Oosterdam in Oct and I'm hoping they have some shows related to the area it is sailing in as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, electro said:

It has been on every sailing I've been on, starting sailing HAL after covid.

Totally agree.  Seems illogical to pay a cruise line so many $$$ and, then when you get on the ship, sit through a 45-minute infomercial 😏 

Edited by taxmantoo

I sail frequently and have seen the Origin Story many times.  Each Cruise and Travel Director follows the script but the delivery and connection to the audience is different.  Our last cruise was on the Rotterdam from Ft. Lauderdale in March-April, 21-day and we ended up in Rotterdam twice.  The C&TD was from Belgium who seemed to have a connection with HAL's past and also the proper pronunciations.  A special bonus when we arrived back in Rotterdam the second time, all 3 Rotterdam's (V, VI and VII) were in port Rotterdam.  That was so special as all of them blew their ship horns back in forth for about 15 minutes to acknowledge Holland America's specialness and history.  Also this was around the time of Kings Day!.. Kings Day and parade was on the 1st Rotterdam city arrival

3 hours ago, electro said:

You are right about repetitive but HAL did have a new show on the Volendam for the Canada/New England cruise in June. It is Breton Thunder and it was fabulous. It was music of Cape Breton and the East coast.

I am on the Oosterdam in Oct and I'm hoping they have some shows related to the area it is sailing in as well.

Hi,

I was on the Volendam in June as well and  I thought Breton Thunder was superb!

I was on a b2b so I got to see them 4 times.

Happytotravel 

• Thanks 1

We saw the Origin Story 1x, & thought it was interesting.  But we chose to skip it on subsequent cruises- 1 & done for us.  I agree it should not be the main stage entertainment in the evening.  No biggie on longer cruises.  We also enjoyed "City on the Sea," but that too was a 1 & done.

I love cruise ships and cruise ship history, so I go every time Origin Story is presented. Since I've seen it every time I've been on a cruise since the return to service in 2021, it's part of the start of the cruise ritual for me at this point. The posters above are correct that every CD has a different delivery of the presentation, and although I practically know the script by heart, it's fun to watch each of them put their own spin on it. 

My favorite parts are the ones with Bill Miller - such a fabulous historian and raconteur of the golden era of cruising. His interviews are a real highlight and add a lot of color to the presentation. The COVID part gets me every time, as I vividly remember the ships being put out of service and not knowing if or when they would return to cruising. I'm still so grateful they are back. 

As for those who don't like it, just a heads up that you'll likely see it for many years to come. HAL spent a LOT of money (close to millions) producing some of the marquee EXC talks (Origin Story, a City on the Sea, etc.), interviewing folks, getting licensing, etc. so we can expect these as part of the programming for quite awhile so they can get their money's worth. 

16 hours ago, Sea42 said:

,,,  I do wish they would show it in the afternoon on a sea day.

On the Zuiderdam trans-Atlantic in May, they showed it in the afternoon on a sea day.  I would go see it one more time in the future if there wasn't anything else I wanted to do at the time it was showing.  Interesting history and pictures!

~Nancy

• Like 1