Restaurants in boston?

18 hours ago, shiner6 said:

We ate at Legal Seafoods, despite advice and we are glad we did. Had a very memorable delicious meal. The crabcakes, mussels and scallops were outstanding. The ambiance , view and service was very inviting. Oh yeah, do not miss the lobster bisque.

We will be in port in October.  Price range for lunch...$20-$30 pp?  Thanks.

13 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

I was wondering if you have been to the Boston Sail Loft?  If so what is it like?  It seems reasonably priced for a very expensive city. 

When I lived in Boston years and years ago right out of college the Sail Loft was a great after work bar for meeting girls. It's been there forever-- certainly not the best food in town but very reliable and good mix of locals and out of towners. The bar is open very late so it attracts a heavy drinking crowd after dinner. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the scallops you eat in boston are any different than those in nova scotia? As a canadian if they taste the same i may wait for nova scotia due to exchange rate. They also have something called george’s bank scallops at atlantic seafood and neptune oyster and i don’t know if those are better. The 24.00 for scallops at summer shack is tempting. Also i am now staying at moxy boston so if have recommendations near there let me know. Legal seafoods seems closest.

Edited by latebuyer

31 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

They also have something called george’s bank scallops at atlantic seafood and neptune oyster and i don’t know if those are better.

Georges Bank is off Massachusetts and local to Boston. The scallops from there are considered a delicacy and they are quite good. 

Thanks. Scallops at Neptune seafoods is 37.00 which isn’t bad. But they also have peekytoe crab which is also a delicacy. Have you had that? If i go to neptune seafood 5 or 5:30 on a sunday would there be a line? I’m single so could sit at the bar.

7 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

If i go to neptune seafood 5 or 5:30 on a sunday would there be a line? I’m single so could sit at the bar

Sundays should be quieter later on. Anytime I've gone by myself it's pretty quick. Even if there is a small line they'll pluck a single out of it to fill a single spot. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2024 at 1:27 PM, latebuyer said:

Does anyone know if the scallops you eat in boston are any different than those in nova scotia? As a canadian if they taste the same i may wait for nova scotia due to exchange rate. They also have something called george’s bank scallops at atlantic seafood and neptune oyster and i don’t know if those are better. The 24.00 for scallops at summer shack is tempting. Also i am now staying at moxy boston so if have recommendations near there let me know. Legal seafoods seems closest.

Does your cruise go to Maine?  Don’t bother looking for lobster rolls, scallops or even oysters in MA if you are going to ME.  Live scallops can be found at some restaurants, if you have never tried them, they are life changing.  You want Maine lobster for your lobster roll.  Period.  And in my opinion (and that of many others) the oysters of ME can’t be beat.  

All that said, I do enjoy Neptune.  

Thank you! Even some people from boston on trip advisor said don't get a lobster roll there lol. Does legal seafood have ok chowder? Was thinking of getting the lunch special with new england crab roll and clam chowder. I realize a lot of people prefer sail loft and neptune oyster but my hotel has changed and its not convenient. I was planning to have boston cream pie at the parker house the day i leave but not sure.

Some people state that Legal makes the best chowder. Heck, it's what gets served at Presidential Inaugurations. Personally, I've had better elsewhere.

The Parker House originated the Boston Creme Pie. See if you can get a slice there. Not saying that the offering at Flour is bad.....

13 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I gather legal seafoods isn't well regarded?

It's just a big chain restaurant. It isn't bad-- somethings are very good-- but the same experience you have in Boston I can have outside of Philly. When I travel I like to go find things that are more authentic. 

12 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The Parker House originated the Boston Creme Pie. See if you can get a slice there. Not saying that the offering at Flour is bad.....

You can order it at the bar. Their main dining room which made it famous never reopened for dinner service since covid. 

15 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thank you! Even some people from boston on trip advisor said don't get a lobster roll there lol. Does legal seafood have ok chowder? Was thinking of getting the lunch special with new england crab roll and clam chowder. I realize a lot of people prefer sail loft and neptune oyster but my hotel has changed and its not convenient. I was planning to have boston cream pie at the parker house the day i leave but not sure.

The best lobster rolls are in Maine.  But Massachusetts has some EXCELLENT offerings.  Belle Isle is definitely in our Top 5 (and we've had lobster rolls at well over 50 places).  Young's, in Orleans on Cape Cod is also Top 10.

Legal's has excellent chowder, as do many other places.  Legal's is a chain, as someone said, but they also have a bunch of "one offs", like Legal Harborside and Legal C Bar, which are worth trying out.  Even the regular locations are consistently very good.

• Like 1

Thanks. I didn’t realize legal seafoods at copley is in a mall and that doesn’t sound very nice. I’ll probably eat at summer shack for dinner as close to where i’m staying. Then it looks like i may have time to go for chowder and pie as ship doesn’t board until 1:00. Would sail loft or union oyster house work? Legal sounds like a nicer location there too.

You'll probably get a good cup of chowder at Summer Shack (I've not yet had it, but the restaurant was opened by the famed restauranter Jasper White (who unfortunately passed this past year)). Also know that Boston Cream Pie is really cake, not pie 🙂

Union Oyster House is also a good place for chowder (again, haven't had it myself). The restaurant is a literal old staple in Boston.

In all honesty, odds are no matter where you go, you'll end up with a good cup of chowder.

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

Just remember you need to be on the ship 90 minutes before departure. In all honesty, I wouldn't plan on going far from the port for lunch.

With NCL, unless it is a port stop, you have to be on board 2 hours prior to sailing. Port calls it is usually 30 minutes before sailing,  but the time will be posted at the gangway as you disembark. 

Edited by zqvol

Thanks both. I’m on princess and we leave at 4pm, onboard at 1 but i’m not 100% sure. I won’t know until a week before. Your posts made me switch things up. I will go to isabella gartner and freedom trail the day before. This will give me more time to eat and see sights. Then i will try and cram in the mfa the day i leave. The advantage is i’m only a 5 min uber from hotel or 14 minute walk. Anyways in this way i’m glad i won’t feel as rushed eating.  I know people think i’m crazy to try and do mfa in 1 hour and a 1/2 to 2 hours but i will focus on must sees. I really want to see the monet room. I will leave triple time to uber to the port. Sorry getting off track. Looking forward to eating in boston.

Edited by latebuyer

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks both. I’m on princess and we leave at 4pm, onboard at 1 but i’m not 100% sure. I won’t know until a week before. Your posts made me switch things up. I will go to isabella gartner and freedom trail the day before. This will give me more time to eat and see sights. Then i will try and cram in the mfa the day i leave. The advantage is i’m only a 5 min uber from hotel or 14 minute walk. Anyways in this way i’m glad i won’t feel as rushed eating.  I know people think i’m crazy to try and do mfa in 1 hour and a 1/2 to 2 hours but i will focus on must sees. I really want to see the monet room. I will leave triple time to uber to the port. Sorry getting off track. Looking forward to eating in boston.

Cramming in the MFA in time to be at the port by 1PM doesn't seem possible to me.  Maybe do the MFA the same day as the Gardner -- they are neighbors in the Fenway neighborhood.  And do the Freedom Trail on departure day.  It's always open, so you can start as early as you can get yourself together

Thanks, yes if i did the mfa the day before i could also go to copley. I think i’ll have clam chowder the day before and i will worry less as i think i won’t have time for a sit down meal the day i leave. I will still have the pie. I’ll try not to waffle anymore!