Art Auctions

Zark427

Hoping someone who has been to a Park West auction recently or is just familiar with the artist they feature on board can fill me in on who they are currently featuring... Specifically looking for Kre8 and Willardson. But any info on who they have... I am aware of the general line up, but looking to see who is relatively new to their line up. (Although I know Willardson has been around for a while).

Thank you - Happy Cruising!

I bought a few pieces on my first cruise.  Yes, they were overpriced.  But I didn’t spend money on big ticket items, and I do still love what I bought.  If you want something specific, I wouldn’t be looking at Park West or any other cruise based art purchases.  Park West has had controversy in the past.  You can Google that and decide for yourself what you think.  I’d still be okay to buy a piece I liked at the minimum, provided they were not expensive (under $500).  But if I wanted specific art, I’d definitely look elsewhere.  Park West is more of an impulse purchase than true art collecting.

They seem to sell mostly posters (prints) of artwork.  Some with brush strokes of added paint.   If you are a serious collector, buy from a trustworthy gallery at home.  If just a souvenir of the trip and not expensive- enjoy.  We have purchased original Fazzino art work which we checked with dealer on land  via IM, before we made the purchase to verify authenticity.

I usually go to the first art auction on each cruise.  I enjoy looking at the pictures and hearing about the artists, but I consider it a show -- not an opportunity to really buy.  In fact, I sit on my bidding number.  I do take pictures and write down artist's names; I came home and bought a puzzle-version of one painting I'd liked.  They must be making money, or they couldn't stay on the ship.

I read the details on the back of the bidding number everyone gets: 

- You don't buy the actual painting that you see onboard; rather, they send an identical copy to your house later.  I've read online their delivery is lacking. 

- You can choose to have your painting framed (for additional cost).  

- Service and delivery costs are added onto what you pay in the auction.

- These guys even push you to get a Park West credit card!  

• Like 1

True now that many ships sell effy jewelry in macy’s cheaper or the same price especially during a sale.  Watches also are genuine on ships. Some inexpensive models some designer and authentic 

However the “art” sold may be posters and prints. 

Edited by Cruise a holic

I've found the secret to buying Park West art for pennies on the dollar.  Old people enjoy cruises; many old people have money to burn; and, sadly, many old people are vulnerable to scams. The result of these facts means you can find Park West art that sold for thousands of dollars on a cruise ship if you go to estate sales where this "art" regularly sells for tens of dollars.

On one of our earliest cruises years ago, we attended one of these auctions and somehow won a free print of one of the items. We liked it and wanted it (it was free... right?) but the cost for them to package and ship to us in AZ was horrible and we had to have it framed ourselves at home (it came from Park West in a mailing tube). Overall, the cost of the shipping and framing was a lot more than the value of the print and as such, we've never attended another "art auction" on any of our subsequent cruises. Lesson learned.