Park 19 on Sun Princess

Posted (edited)

Anyone has any information on when it will be open? We are sailing in two weeks, and the kids are very excited about this. But so far, everyone says it's waiting to be safety certified.  

Edited by Georgejialab
grammar

16 minutes ago, Georgejialab said:

Anyone has any information on when it will be open? We are sailing in two weeks, and the kids are very excited about this. But so far, everyone says it's waiting to be safety certified.  

Yes, not seen any new information from those onboard - still a suggestion that it's awaiting certification once the ship gets to the US.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dides said:

Yes, not seen any new information from those onboard - still a suggestion that it's awaiting certification once the ship gets to the US.

Nothing official but that what I've been reading on CC also. 

We have been asking the same question as we travel in August - it's an absolute joke if it's not open before it gets to the US, can't they fly the inspection team over to complete the certification.

This is our second cruise with Princess and the first was a disaster but thought would give them another try as it's a new ship - didn't realise they couldn't even get their act together to ensure the ship is fully operational - an absolute shambles of a company....

Posted (edited)

The first cruise out of FLL is during time when many/most schools are out for Fall Break.

If there are hundreds of kids onboard, with NO 'kids area' open...  Ohhhh NO !!!!!  That would not be good. 

Six - seven months since the ship started sailing.

Princess, this is getting almost ridiculous.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Do not plan on Park19 working in two weeks. They have completely taken any mention about it off the website. 

I still don’t understand people’s excitement about this space. You have a ropes course that would probably take about 20 minutes to complete and the silly glider that occupies about 10 minutes time. And people are basing their entire cruise experience on that?

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I still don’t understand people’s excitement about this space. You have a ropes course that would probably take about 20 minutes to complete and the silly glider that occupies about 10 minutes time. And people are basing their entire cruise experience on that?

Princess hyped this space up in the pre-inaugural press releases about the Sun Princess.  It's the most adventurous installation on a Princess ship to date.  That is unless, someone likes to live on the wild side and ride their mobility scooter down a gangway ramp.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/news/news-releases/2023/06/unveiling-park19-new-top-deck-family-activity-zone-to-debut-on-board-sun-princess-featuring-sea-breeze-the-first-rollglider-on-a-ship

Sox,  It is limited, but it IS a kids and family area.   There should be a small splash-pad, etc.

It is a place for kids and families to spend time onboard.

Along with the fact that there is NO open adult-only area.

Princess really does it again...  Ugggghhhh.

Yes, I see this as a problem when the ship hits the Caribbean, Holidays, Spring Break, etc..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Do not plan on Park19 working in two weeks. They have completely taken any mention about it off the website. 

Princess trying to be Carnival and RC.  Avoid this ship like me.

• Haha 1

And I have seen similar.  A passenger entered the theater after lights went dark.  Drove her scooter down the Deck 7 stairs.  I would not advise any one to do this.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Princess hyped this space up in the pre-inaugural press releases about the Sun Princess.  It's the most adventurous installation on a Princess ship to date.  That is unless, someone likes to live on the wild side and ride their mobility scooter down a gangway ramp.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

And I have seen similar.  A passenger entered the theater after lights went dark.  Drove her scooter down the Deck 7 stairs.  I would not advise any one to do this.

Scooters are dangerous to those around.  When someone is on one trying to go up or down a gangway ramp (not the jet bridge type), it stops the entire process and two crew assist have to help maneuver the scooter up or down.  I've seen crew members get their foot run over or get knocked down.  When the scooter doesn't have enough horsepower to go up a ramp, it reverses putting those behind in peril.

• Like 1

The problem seems to be more prevalent with those that are not used to using a scooter, but rent one for the cruise.  There is a learning curve.

When I broke my foot and had to use one in the supermarket/Big Box Stores, I clearly announced that I was coming...get out of my way.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Princess trying to be Carnival and RC.  Avoid this ship like me.

I loved this ship!  It was a great cruise with so many special crew.  And I didn't miss Park19 at all.  In fact when they were testing the glider track it was very annoying to listen to it while enjoying my cocktail in the Sanctuary.  🤪

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

In fact when they were testing the glider track it was very annoying to listen to it while enjoying my cocktail in the Sanctuary.

Did it really make that much noise or is that sarcasm I detect? 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 555 said:

Did it really make that much noise or is that sarcasm I detect? 

There was definitely a humming.  At first I didn't know what it was.  And then put people on the ride and it will definitely be annoying to the those in the Sanctuary.

Added the humor just to signify it wasn't too bad.

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For most of us, it is not about 'missing Park 19'.

That depends on whether one is traveling with kids and have been looking forward to that.   I don't know why the existence of Park 19 is even a conversation.  Either take a kids/family area like this, or leave it.  Either way.

Sorry,  but I see the 'humming' as an issue.

The obvious thing is that this is supposed to be a relaxing and adult area..  The humming alone, not to mention the kids who are on the ride...  What is Princess even thinking any more.

Second,  to anyone with hearing aids, that humming can be picked up like crazy, being delivered right into one's ears.   This is a common issue with hearing aides.  Either lower level ones, or even really good ones that are not set exactly right.

Again, my problem with all of this is that there is now NO adult area onboard.

If they don't have Park 19 opened in Oct, when it is the first U.S. cruise, and there are hundreds of kids onboard during the school's Fall Break...   Oy Vey!!!!!!

We pretty much committed to our booking on this ship, it is a short cruise, and we will see the ship and get thru it.  Would I book it today, knowing what I know...  a definite no.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

If they don't have Park 19 opened in Oct, when it is the first U.S. cruise, and there are hundreds of kids onboard during the school's Fall Break...   Oy Vey!!!!!!

We pretty much committed to our booking on this ship, it is a short cruise, and we will see the ship and get thru it.  Would I book it today, knowing what I know...  a definite no.

I have a 7 day in Jan on the Sun in an S9 and a TA booked in Nov 25.  I now booked the SKY TA in case I dont like the Sun in Jan. Will decide which one to keep after Jan.

4 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I loved this ship!  It was a great cruise with so many special crew.  And I didn't miss Park19 at all.  In fact when they were testing the glider track it was very annoying to listen to it while enjoying my cocktail in the Sanctuary.  🤪

How do people like the buffet being midship?  I guess since we are pool area people, having the buffet nearby was really nice.  Having to get dressed to get on an elevator to go find something doesn't sound very appealing to me at all. 

Sorry, I don't eat at the buffet.  I found plenty of lunch items with the 4 separate food stations by the pool. 

I would think you should still get "dressed" to walk through the buffet anyway.  No matter where it is.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

How do people like the buffet being midship?  I guess since we are pool area people, having the buffet nearby was really nice.  Having to get dressed to get on an elevator to go find something doesn't sound very appealing to me at all. 

Either way you would still have to put on some clothing to eat at the buffet. I'm sure we won't be alone. 

On 6/30/2024 at 4:15 PM, Georgejialab said:

Yeah.....it wont be open in 2 weeks.
Plus....to get excited over it.....well, the area is terribly small.  And the glider was to be paid for too.

3 hours ago, 555 said:

Either way you would still have to put on some clothing to eat at the buffet. I'm sure we won't be alone. 

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear on what i meant.  It's one thing to walk from the pool area to the buffet,  but to have to get on an elevator to go to the buffet in the middle of the ship, then back seems like a lot of effort. 

And people think getting up and going somewhere makes you a chair hog now, can't imagine what that might be like on that ship.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

For most of us, it is not about 'missing Park 19'.

That depends on whether one is traveling with kids and have been looking forward to that.   I don't know why the existence of Park 19 is even a conversation.  Either take a kids/family area like this, or leave it.  Either way.

Sorry,  but I see the 'humming' as an issue.

The obvious thing is that this is supposed to be a relaxing and adult area..  The humming alone, not to mention the kids who are on the ride...  What is Princess even thinking any more.

Second,  to anyone with hearing aids, that humming can be picked up like crazy, being delivered right into one's ears.   This is a common issue with hearing aides.  Either lower level ones, or even really good ones that are not set exactly right.

Fall break? I did not even know that was a thing. When is fall break in Florida? Ugh.