Lobster at Ocean Blue or Cagneys

We will be dining in both of these venue on our upcoming cruise. I am thinking about springing the extra $25 for lobster one night. Is one better than the other? I notice you can get surf & turf or order just lobster. If ordering just he lobster for the $25 is it a bigger lobster? I am leaning toward ordering in Ocean Blue so I can bet the steak I want in Cagneys.

1 hour ago, sheshe01 said:

We will be dining in both of these venue on our upcoming cruise. I am thinking about springing the extra $25 for lobster one night. Is one better than the other? I notice you can get surf & turf or order just lobster. If ordering just he lobster for the $25 is it a bigger lobster? I am leaning toward ordering in Ocean Blue so I can bet the steak I want in Cagneys.

Cagneys' or ocean blue source their lobsters from the same package.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

First, the lobster in Cagney's and Ocean Blue come from the same box in the freezer on the ship. (Note: All seafood has to be frozen to come on the ship, including sushi). 

This is Ocean Blue on the Encore May 2024 (Note that you can order the lobster steamed versus grilled)

image.png.c6d7bb098ceb61ac6f7c2f75fea51614.png

This is Ocean Blue Surf and Turf and Lobster on the Escape 2023 

image.png.3a4dc7452577ca8e1de118954a32b4c7.png

image.png.5870441c346af6bda76790332acf32e8.png

Our preferred lobster dish is the Lobster Thermador in Le Bistro. 

image.thumb.png.4fc34d15343937d5c5306bf828714a78.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

I love lobster thermidor and have not had it in years. My travel companion is a very picky eater and will not go to Le Bistro. Do you think the lobster by itself is worth getting just that or stick with the surf and turf?

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Grandmafreddie said:

Had lobster and is was 1 1/4 lbs not great. Not worth up charge on Land much better. Mine was over cooked.

Ditto, we had a "fair" amount of non-refundable OBC on a recent TA crossing and upgraded 2 of the entrees to a "whole" lobster - see below - in Paloma (onboard the Prima) - while the presentation or looks of it was okay, as you said .... ours were over-cooked, being frozen & not freshly out of a tank, just doesn't taste all that great (well, being from the Northeast / NY area ) - once & done.  DW said, never ... never allow me to order that or similar ones again, ever onboard.  It was relatively small, not even sure if they're 1 1/4 pounder, probably just above the legal 1 lb minimum.  

20240428_191209_095036.thumb.jpg.a5cbcbc60c434bf73887978aee8df2df.jpg

From Palomar on the Prima recently ...

Local Red Lobster probably do a better job preparing a whole lobster for dinner and it is freshly from the live tank (it "should") ... otherwise, the overnight frozen imported Aussie tails delivered by Lobster Gram are pretty good, expensive - did that once during the C19 shutdown.  

Once upon a time, NCL had lobster tail along with grouper as a "rare" MDR entree option, been quite a few years and that wasn't bad, complimentary.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sheshe01 said:

I love lobster thermidor and have not had it in years. My travel companion is a very picky eater and will not go to Le Bistro. Do you think the lobster by itself is worth getting just that or stick with the surf and turf?

I don’t think any of the lobster served on the ship is worth getting, especially with an up charge. 

• Thanks 1

We had tried the lobster at Ocean Blue on the Getaway once (had lots of OBC on a TA cruise).  It wasn't good. The lobster meat was kind of loose.  Very disappointed.

In Toronto, many Asian restaurants cook very good lobsters.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 12:47 PM, mking8288 said:

20240428_191209_095036.thumb.jpg.a5cbcbc60c434bf73887978aee8df2df.jpg

From Palomar on the Prima recently ...

But, those carrots look divine. Cooked, even, unlike most of the crunchy (steamed for a flash) served up in most restaurants on land. 

• Haha 2