Viking Vesta gets wet!

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m hoping by increasing the space between the closet and the bed by a foot or so. 

They have done this on the expedition ships and it is very noticeable. They have an L-Shaped closet that extends towards the bed.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2024 at 10:56 AM, tarhoosier said:

An azimuth is the horizontal angle from a cardinal direction, most commonly north.

Thus azipod means a propulsion pod that moves in a horizontal direction to allow the pod(s) to rotate to desired direction. It is fascinating to watch an azipod ship approach the dock and it moves sideways as if something is pushing from the other side of the ship. Pushing the water dockward as the length of the ship moves sideward toward the dock. Certainly worth watching from deck or verandah. No conventional propulsion ship can do this.

I wonder - having watched the action of the Longships - if that’s how their propulsion works. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 8:15 PM, CCWineLover said:

The first batch of ships is over and done and in service (930 passengers).  They are called the "Star" class and comprised of 10 ships, put into service from 2015 to 2023. 

Star (the original and followed by 3 groups of 3 in the Star class)

1.  Sea, Sun (sold to China), Sky

2.  Orion, Jupiter, Venus

3.  Mars, Neptune, Saturn

The upsized model (998 passengers) is called the "Vela" class.  The first two are Vela and Vesta, with a total of 10 (at last count) planned.

The Sun is back in the Viking fleet but with a new name - the Yi Dun. Still owned by the joint venture with China I’m sure. Starting last year it is shown as part of the Viking fleet and can be booked using the Viking site. Only seems to operate a few months each year tho. 

Edited by CharTrav

I believe that one of the driving forces in the redesign was to add more space to the engine room, hence all of the addition length is aft of the aft elevators. No additional PSJs because it would muck up the orderly arrangement of sliders and balconies?

• Like 1

Actually I think the reported "main" reason for the ship size increase was to meet updated SOLAS stability requirements (length and beam increases). They are also using some of the space for the hydrogen storage and fuel cells. Increases in cabin space are a 'bonus'.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I believe that one of the driving forces in the redesign was to add more space to the engine room, hence all of the addition length is aft of the aft elevators. No additional PSJs because it would muck up the orderly arrangement of sliders and balconies?

Based on conversations with the Viking Sun Chief Engineer on the 20 WC, he mentioned the next class of vessels would be slightly larger to meet updated SOLAS requirements. Unfortunately, in retirement, I no longer monitor SOLAS amendments, so can't comment.

When it comes to re-design, the additional length and beam could have been added anywhere, so I concur with you that the addition of hydrogen is the driving force behind the location of the SOLAS required additional space. The hydrogen fuel cell, associated equipment and hydrogen tanks all require additional space.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Plus room for the additional 29 cabins. No way the new ships will feel more spacious. IMHO 

The increase in the number of cabins tho was not the driving force behind the increase in ship size - just a side benefit. The increase in the cabin sizes is pretty small - about 4.5% for ES and a little less than 7% for all the rest. I doubt given the consistency of appearance across the ships you’ll even notice. It'll just feel like a typical Viking ship. IMHO. 😉

• Like 2

Looking forward to  the first review from a cruiser  on the new ships. 

I, unfortunately , have to wait till April 2026  to be on the Vesta!

• Like 1