Gravlax, ceviche and steak tartare classes

On the Cruise Planner for my 7/21/24 sailing on Reflection, I noticed three new "cooking" classes offered on the sea day, that I had not noticed previously: "Steak Tartare Class", "Ceviche Making Class", and "Gravlax and Avocado Toast Class". I think these are new -- has anyone ever heard of or done these?

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

No, they have been there for a while....  Here's an earlier thread about them. 

To be fair, that thread is from 3 days ago, and it does look like these are brand new options that have just been added. But thank you for pointing me to that thread, as I was not aware of it.

• Haha 1

Cooking classes with individual hands-on cooking stations were great fun aboard Silver Dawn.  No charge.  Amazing what you can do on a ship 2/3 the size of an M class, but with 1/4 the number of passengers.

I remember finally learning how to properly filet flounder aboard a Connie TA years ago.  Gratis.

Definitely a new way to fill up options to spend more money on a cruise. Why offer something unless you can make more money. I remember a “How to cook Salmon” demonstration on our cruise to Alaska. That was a Free class and we all got to taste the salmon at the end of the class and received a print out of the directions. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Definitely a new way to fill up options to spend more money on a cruise. Why offer something unless you can make more money. I remember a “How to cook Salmon” demonstration on our cruise to Alaska. That was a Free class and we all got to taste the salmon at the end of the class and received a print out of the directions. 

Good old days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZapRowsdower said:

To be fair, that thread is from 3 days ago, and it does look like these are brand new options that have just been added. But thank you for pointing me to that thread, as I was not aware of it.

Read the comments . Then have been offered for a month that I am aware of on our April 2025 sailing. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Gravlax smoked salmon class…. Does that mean I might find that food on board somewhere?  The avocado toast and smoked salmon?  I just don’t want to spend $50 just to taste it. 

There are a number of new activities. 

Starting in June ceviche making, steak tartare, gravlax and avocado toast making classes became available, along with a Riedel wine workshop, Jack Daniel's tasting, Rabbit Hole bourbon tasting, and a WhistlePig tasting. In July (already live?) Caribbean Beverage Experience - Nassau and Caribbean Beverage Experience- Grand Cayman will be available. In August a Pickelball Series (Constellation and Beyond only) will be available with a cost attached. There is also a VIP Helipad Experience noted (for pay). 

There is a new "Destination Onboard" program testing in 2024 that is planned for 2025. There are about 30 complementary onboard activities also, some new, some old, many which are just the standing loyalty events. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2024 at 5:09 PM, DaKahuna said:

No, they have been there for a while....  Here's an earlier thread about them. 

I would not exactly call July 2nd a while ago>  🙂  

37 minutes ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

I’m amazed that they think anyone needs to learn how to ‘cook’ avocado toast and salmon 🤭 

Hey if my husband didn’t cook for me I would probably starve.  Or I would just call Domino’s annd open a bottle of red wine.  Or go to a restaurant.  My husband has low expectations.

Maybe I’ll ask the folks in Luminae to make it for me before they serve my banana split.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

The Gravlax smoked salmon class…. Does that mean I might find that food on board somewhere?  The avocado toast and smoked salmon?  I just don’t want to spend $50 just to taste it. 

The Spa Cafe has avocado toast for breakfast, OVC has smoked salmon every morning, and once each cruise OVC has three or four varieties of gravlax at lunch (at least on E class).

My friend tells me she has booked a for-fee cupcake decorating activity on her upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing.🙄🤣

(Coming soon to an X vessel near you.)

Meanwhile I have proudly self-taught myself the art of avocado toast.  
And I didn’t even watch a You Tube.😊

43 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

My friend tells me she has booked a for-fee cupcake decorating activity on her upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing.🙄🤣

(Coming soon to an X vessel near you.)

Meanwhile I have proudly self-taught myself the art of avocado toast.  
And I didn’t even watch a You Tube.😊

There is no need to be jealous.  It will come soon.