The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 6th, 2024

Today is Hand Roll Day, International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day, and Take Your Webmaster to Lunch Day

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Meal Suggestion for today - Zucchini Pancakes
Drink of the Day - Tranquil Waters
Wine of the Day - Palencia Wine Company 2020 El Vinador Petit Verdot
Destination of the Day - Wrangell, Alaska, US

Today in History:
1348 Papal bull of Pope Clement VI issued during the Black Death stating Jews not to blame and urging their protection

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 07-07

Nieuw Statendam

Akureyri, Island

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07-07

Oosterdam

Zadar, Croatia 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Boston, Massachusetts 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Seattle, Washington eta 07-07

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 0630-2100

Zuiderdam

Reykjavik, Iceland ovnt - 19:00

0706Alaska.thumb.png.615232a559d2452806d0ed61b39b603d.png

0706Atlantic.thumb.png.2b91725dd2c86060c13dfe8c0d258e7f.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 27

Posted (edited)

Good morning friends!  It’s a sunny morning in Reykjavik as we start our second day here.  Temp is 52 and the high may reach 60!  At 10:30 a.m. Oceania Sirena, formerly R Four and Tahitian Princess/Ocean Princess, arrived at the dock near  Zuiderdam.  She’s looking good!  Looks like MSC Preziosa, Viking Mars and National Geographic Resolution are here this weekend too.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  Those are sure some interesting days to recognize.  More zucchini today but this time in pancakes.  No thanks to Tranquil Water or the wine.  I appreciate Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their time spent researching the food and beverages for us. 

It was good to hear Jacqui @kazu has come up with a plan for her future which includes Ivan.  I’m sure it will be a relief to have less household worries.  Best of luck to you Jacqui!

Prayers for our entire Daily family, my DB and Alex/Jordan’s twin sons, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our military members overseas.  Cheers to all celebrating special events and cruising!  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for your help in maintaining the lists for us all.

The port today is a new one, Wrangell, Alaska.  No links to post therefore, and I haven’t been there before so no photos from me.  Thanks in advance to any photos that might be posted today.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  Stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 right now with a high of 90 with a chance of afternoon showers. I think yesterday was the hottest day I can remember in our 31 years in Florida, real feel was 107 degrees, we finished 9 holes around 9AM and we were sweating like crazy but we finished the round and lo and behold I beat my age by 1 with a pretty smooth 77.

Interesting days but I don’t have a webmaster.
Albert Einstein was a genius and his quote is spot on, with all the stupidity going on these days he is probably rolling in his grave.

Must be a sale on Zucchini as we had Zucchini Pancakes yesterday and Zucchini Waffles today, I’ll pass.

Been to Alaska but not Wrangell.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 33

Good morning.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 59°F with rain due shortly.

3 interesting days and true quote.

Today is Pauline's late brothers 66th birthday who died as a 3 month old baby.

We are at the cemetery now putting flowers on the grave.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240706_113006.jpg

Screenshot_20240706_113032.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

I took this photo this morning of my late parents memory garden in our garden.

We brought the hydrangeas from their garden after my late dad died 12 years ago.

They are just starting to bloom.

IMG_20240706_093531.jpg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Escape to a serene oasis with the "Tranquil Waters" cocktail. This blissful libation promises a taste journey of calm and relaxation, offering a refreshing respite from the everyday hustle. With its soothing flavors and captivating hues, the Tranquil Waters cocktail embodies the essence of a tranquil beachside getaway. Whether you're looking to unwind after a long day or seeking a peaceful moment of tranquility, this cocktail is sure to transport you to a state of blissful calm.

Ingredients:

1/2 oz. lime juice
1 oz. Pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz. coconut rum
2 oz. blue curacao

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes. Add the blue curacao liqueur, coconut rum, pineapple juice, and lime juice.
Shake vigorously for about 15-20 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail.
In a glass with fresh ice cubes strain the mixture from the shaker. If desired, top off the glass with a splash of soda water.
Garnish the cocktail with a pineapple slice or a maraschino cherry(optional).

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 6.40.45 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 18

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, to have stents placed, planning a move

Heartgrove’s DSIL with upcoming surgery, and DW’s DBIL with pancreatic cancer

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Haljo1935 with a frozen shoulder and kidney stones

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish meeting her new great niece Addie

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure

USN59-79’s DW Sara with a good heart evaluation

JazzyV’s BFF can start weight bearing in walking boot

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 21
  • Thanks 18

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I took this photo this morning of my late parents memory garden in our garden.

We brought the hydrangeas from their garden after my late dad died 12 years ago.

They are just starting to bloom.

IMG_20240706_093531.jpg

That is a nice memory of your late Dad Graham, having their lovely hydrangeas growing in your garden.

Thoughts and prayers to Pauline as she memorializes her brother on what would have been his 66th birthday.  🙏💐

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 32

Wonderful Reports!  Thank you!!!

Now that I understand the ettiquette for sushi consuming, I think I know what a hand roll is...

As for International Kissing -- Domestic Kissing isn't bad either!!!

And, I'm sorry, I have no webmaster...  so I'll trat my child to lunch.  They take care of all my technology-issues and needs!!

I love zucchini bread, so zucchini pancakes isn't a stretch -- I think!m   And I KNOW I'd be tranquil after consuming the cocktail, today!!

My prayers for all in need of them -- both spoken needs and those left unlisted!!  God Knows!!!

• Like 32

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is a nice memory of your late Dad Graham, having their lovely hydrangeas growing in your garden.

Thoughts and prayers to Pauline as she memorializes her brother on what would have been his 66th birthday.  🙏💐

Thank you Sandi.

My mam died in November and my dad died the following March 4 months later and they both loved their garden and greenhouse.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A gorgeous morning - not a hint of humidity. But we are back to “needing rain mode”. A brush fire broke out in the county North of me early yesterday morning not too far from where friends live. Possibly started by people setting off fireworks on the 4th. Luckily it was quickly contained. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping our lists. I really appreciate your efforts. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, a visit from my Sister & Brayden, &  pool time. Should keep me busy. 

IMG_2604.jpeg.6226df2c4a289cafad9dc32330090c44.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg.be4640b9c78464da6231055c82575bef.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg.8bd9cd0507ede79411023beef449ca23.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana praying that your appetite comes back, and a treatment is found to eliminate your condition. And perhaps most of all the caretakers, who selflessly support others in need - Terry, Melissa, Joy, Annie, and Terri, and others who may not have shared their stories with us. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Palencia Wine Company 2020 El Vinador Petit Verdot

Fairly elusive, though I found a couple of distributors who would ship this lovely sounding Washington Petit Verdot to me. But before I bought this, I would want to taste it. Online prices start at $40.00.

Winemaker’s notes

While some Petit Verdots may be overly tannic and in need of long-term cellaring, this one carries a voluptuous, silky quality that makes it instantly enjoyable. At its core, you’ll find blackberry and Ligurian cherry fruit with gentle touches of black tea and plum skin on the finish. Coupled with a splash of acidity in the background for added balance, this may be one of the most approachable, ready-to-drink Petit Verdots you’ve ever tasted.100% Petit Verdot sourced from Wahluke Slope.

Best of Class 91 Points Savor NW 2023.

Gold 93 Points - Pacific Northwest Wine Competition 2023. 

90 Points - James Suckling.com 2024. This has aromas of dark chocolate, walnuts, roasted herbs and baked strawberries. Rich, ripe and gently jammy with a full body and rounded tannins. Soft and plush. Drink now. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone.   Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.  I will let John celebrate Roll Day.  I am sure there will be a lot of cheek kissing at the memorial today and  I have no webmaster.    A good quote by Einstein.   I will pass on zucchini pancakes but today's cocktail looks like a winner.  I like Petit Verdot. Thanks for finding these for us each day. I look forward to photos  of Wrangell.  

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana, Terry, Jacqui, Chuck, Bonnie and Terri.  Prayers for my DB who has to be winding down his IV antibiotic so I hope he can get an answer.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Ukraine.  

Today is a busy day, we are heading to town before the Post Office closes at 10, short hours for a little post office, then kill time by shopping in town until the noon memorial.   Then after that wraps up we head home for and relax for a few hours before the dinner and fireworks at the neighbors.  Have a lovely Saturday.  Nancy

• Like 34

Oh my, it’s hot! Don’t know how those of you in the southwest survive the summer heat.

At least my “tropical” flowers are doing well.  Not even sure what this is…I took it from a planter that was going to be thrown into the trash at my parent’s over 55 community…planted it last Fall and crossed my fingers.IMG_0586.thumb.jpeg.7b541a1fca18cb4b6b45dd0a0b5708a1.jpegPositive thoughts to all.  Cheers to those celebrating!

• Like 33
  • Thanks 7

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!  The computer says its 77 and mostly cloudy.  From here at the computer, it is very foggy.  We got several strong rain storms yesterday, add that to the two hour storm we got on the 4th , and the air is full of moisture.

While my tummy is still not doing well, it did get hungry yesterday and I had my little 6 inch veggie Pizza around  3 in the afternoon.  Quite tasty, even had salad, (healthy, but probably not want my stomach wanted) and a dessert.  Which I ate half of.  The dessert was in the shape of a squirrel, the bottom part was a thinly sliced layer cake with chocolate mousse frosting, and the upper portion was chocolate mousse, and then the whole thing was dipped in dark chocolate. I scraped the body portion off and ate the cake.  Too much dessert.  I was done with food for the day, but DH wanted dinner, so I made us grilled cheese sandwiches. While we watched the BBQ show.

Things that I have learned since bringing in the kittens and Munchkin.  

Momma Munchkin was apparently raised by someone who fed her human food.  Any thing that is on the counter or on my plate is fair game. Even when I am sitting there eating it.  Even grilled cheese sandwiches.  

I am a chew toy.  Every toe and foot, top and bottom has been bit, and they love to climb, even bare legs.  I wish it was cold enough to wear long jeans.

Kittens like catnip, even though the articles I read said that they won't pay attention to it until they are about 6 months old.  WRONG!  Two out of the 4 are addicts!

And once I have fed them, they will take a nap.  I am beginning to love their nap times. 

And except for Turnip, who does sleep way too much, they all love DH more, and settle down and are calm with him, nuzzle in next to him and sleep.

I am a chew toy.

how-people-without-a-cat-eat-how-people-with-a-cat-eat-comparison.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 15

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie for their dedication.

No webmaster here and no one to kiss but Ivan, LOL.  That Einstein quote is quite funny to me.  Is it only Saturday?  Somehow it seems like it has been a very long week.  

IMG_1879.thumb.jpeg.4320c7ee18ceb0d1e9f4c49b9c2fb1bd.jpeg

RE-store (Habitat for Humanity was here last week to remove some of the excess furniture and will be back to get more.  One of the things donated was the leather couch in the family room.  I had them move the couch in the living room to replace it.  Ivan was quite put out.  It’s not as deep as the old one and he couldn’t get comfy.  Yesterday, he finally figured it out and pushed against the cushion.  He made up for lost time on it yesterday.

IMG_2543.thumb.jpeg.047b1dfd98c4cc99456e9dc513949a0e.jpeg

Today my guy who has been my life saver since I broke my elbow is coming over and I will have him clean the garage floor so we can move the boxes there.  The other jobs will depend on if we get rain or not.

IMG_1957.jpeg.43b7a61c317e00009e4f6a5cc41df416.jpeg

I am trying to wash my sadness and second thoughts on selling and just working on getting the house ready as much as I can with my legs.

Prayers for those on the Care list and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2542.thumb.jpeg.a2cedd760c93265f5a8d100f10e597a5.jpeg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone!  

We had some heavy rains last night during Farkle.  Sue was getting the kayaks ready in case we needed them to escape.  But, Rita and I patrolled the perimeter this morning and all is well.  No rabbits for her to chase this morning, but they will be out later.  Or they have fled the area!  We're heading to the dog park this morning.  We can let her off lead in the fenced in area and she can run like wild.  

Zucchini is the summertime butternut squash.  It is very versatile and can be used many different ways.  That is good, because it grows easily and those with backyard gardens often find themselves with more zucchini than they know what to do with.  That is when it starts showing up on the porch.  This first recipe doesn't  use much flour, so the carbs are reasonable.  Zucchini Pancakes

zucchinipancakes1.thumb.jpg.1a5c33987beaa2acbc90c10ef95cf0ee.jpg

Here is Ina Garten's version which is even lower in carbs.   Ina's Zucchini Pancakeszucchinipancakes2.thumb.jpeg.5ba8ec832ebf2b09f595f762e2f6e2df.jpeg

The last two recipes were more like potato pancakes or a fritter and can be used as a side dish.  If you want breakfast pancakes, the next recipe is for you.  High carbs and lots of sugar.  Breakfast Zucchini Pancakes

zucchinipancakes3.thumb.jpg.d755af23fa3c5754b7d3899e933d5f2f.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone. Sushi is my favorite food. Happiness is having my two oldest grandsons back in the USA after about 6 weeks in Israel. It’s going to be 97 here today. Too hot to sit by the pool. Stay safe everyone.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1