What Should We know About Zaandam ?

23 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

The search feature on this site is very helpful.  Give it a try.  Here is a recent review.

where is this search featire? We never used it before .Thanks in advance

We found the dtry dock schedule   .We know that Flat Screen TVs have been installed . What is the concern is the  A/C & plumbing as this ship came into service in 2000 . We are in a handicap ocean view on Lower Promenade . I like to know that all id ok with the A/C & plumbing  as we will be in a warm climate 

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We found the dtry dock schedule   .We know that Flat Screen TVs have been installed . What is the concern is the  A/C & plumbing as this ship came into service in 2000 . We are in a handicap ocean view on Lower Promenade . I like to know that all id ok with the A/C & plumbing  as we will be in a warm climate 

When I am looking for information regarding a certain cabin I use the search feature and put in the cabin number.  Sometimes something will come up.  Or, I try halfacts dot com.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have read conflicting reports about this cruise ships condition  like air conditioning not working all the time ie .

For those who saed on this ship recently what has been your experience ? We have a future 11 day cruise booked on Zaandam 

TIA

The Ms. Zaandam is in good condition.

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 4:56 AM, mcrcruiser said:

We just booked a way out April 7 ,2026 c Mexican Riviera 11 day cruise . We never sailed on this ship in the past . We booked into a handicap outside cabin on lower Promenade Deck 3  .  in the back of the ship  Are there important areas e should be aware of ?

TIA 

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have read conflicting reports about this cruise ships condition  like air conditioning not working all the time ie .

For those who saed on this ship recently what has been your experience ? We have a future 11 day cruise booked on Zaandam 

TIA

@mcrcruiser

Your two threads regarding the same ship have been merged into one threadDue to the Cruise Critic software, all posts now appear in post date/time order in this newly merged thread. 

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

where is this search featire? We never used it before .Thanks in advance

Here is a reduced screen shot of the Search feature location:

image.thumb.png.a17cae1cc17aa2107d135508fe1a97c0.png

It appears in the 2nd blue bar at the top of message board pages.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Here’s my recent report from last month’s cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam: 

On 8/12/2024 at 11:34 AM, mcrcruiser said:

What is the concern is the  A/C & plumbing as this ship came into service in 2000

The AC and plumbing were both fine in our Vista Suite on Deck 6. (May not be a comparable test of the AC given that we were in Alaska vs. a tropical climate). 

Edited by Ileneilene123

We were on Zaandam for 16 days last December, booked on her for 27 days this next February.  We had no plumbing issues nor air conditioning issues.  If I remember correctly, we were on deck 2 midship.  The ship is easy to navigate, easy to get from one area of the ship to another.  Crew were awesome.  The lack of mini fridge didn't bother us too much, our cabin steward filled our ice bucket 2x per day.  But if you need refrigeration for meds or something, I would rent one as others have said.  Our inside cabin was larger than any other cabin we've ever been in- this includes verandah & other insides on larger ships.  We've never booked a suite, I imagine those would be larger.  We loved being able to go out on deck 3 for viewing the scenery.  I found plenty of quiet places on the ship to sit & read, sipping a latte while watching the ocean go by.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2024 at 7:17 PM, rotjeknor said:

By the way, Zaandam is a city in the Netherlands

Yes, this is where you'll find this fabulous building! We were on a train and say Zaandam station, so just had to get off to see the town!

Re: the ship, we've been on her twice, to Alaska and South America/Antarctica and will be on for the third time in Feb next year for the Amazon Explorer. Love the ship.

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2024 at 12:05 PM, crystalspin said:

Only cabins with a balcony come with mini-fridge on Zaandam (or Volendam). But at least the insides are roomy!

Crystal thanks for that info .Actually ,we have no need for a mini Frig &  so far we have had no need . We never use them even when they are in our cabins . For some people it is important to have one . I am surprised that HAL has never upgraded the standard cabins on Zaandam of bolendam to have these mini Frig but renting them is another revenue source 

We've got a 56 day cruise coming up soon on the Zaandam. We've not been on the Zaandam before, but I loved the Amsterdam. The DD cabins towards the aft of deck 2 were awesome - because of the proximity to the aft decks and the promenade.

I loved the outside public areas of the Amsterdam - it will be interesting to see if I like the Zaandam as much!

Haven't been on Zaandam in 15 years, I'm sure there's been a couple dry docks in that time.  The fact that it's one of the last small ships is the main thing she has going for her.  I'm hoping the crackdown on the size of ships in ports will be incentive enough for HAL to hold onto her.  

• Like 2

On 8/13/2024 at 4:51 PM, asebastian said:

Yes, this is where you'll find this fabulous building! We were on a train and say Zaandam station, so just had to get off to see the town!

Re: the ship, we've been on her twice, to Alaska and South America/Antarctica and will be on for the third time in Feb next year for the Amazon Explorer. Love the ship.

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Oh thank you for the memories! I stayed just up the street from your 2 pictures last year after the 150th anniversary crossing on the Rotterdam. Had a lovely time both on the ship, Zaandam, and a trip around the Continent. 😁

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 6:10 PM, crystalspin said:

From the ship/HAL. I lined mine up with my PCC pre-boarding. I would recommend requesting one pre-sailing lest they run out.

Call Ship Services is 1-800-541-1576 . It's still reportedly $2/day! (Thanks @Alberta Quilter!

This can also be done by sending an email to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com.  Just include your confirmation #, ship, and cabin #.  Our request was answered in 24 hours at the $2 per day rate for our upcoming cruise.