Not excited about new specialty dining menus

Hello, going on a 5 day cruise in Joy haven soon. Between my promo, diamond status meals and getting the FAS+ upgrade meals I am not excited about using them and going to just the haven dining option instead. Anyone else agree? The Only one I may keep is Cagney's. Very disappointing. Wish I could give the extra meals to others that would enjoy them.

1 minute ago, knitlady037 said:

Very disappointing. Wish I could give the extra meals to others that would enjoy them.

You honestly can't find anything left on the new menus that you would enjoy? That would be disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On  a short cruise, the menu in the Haven restaurant may be sufficient to provide a variety of menu selections.  On longer cruises, though, the variety of specialty restaurants can be a welcome change of pace.  My personal preferences are Le Bistro and Cagney's.  YMMV.

Unfortunately, however, NCL rules don't allow transference of Latitudes or FAS dining benefits.

14 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

On  a short cruise, the menu in the Haven restaurant may be sufficient to provide a variety of menu selections.  On longer cruises, though, the variety of specialty restaurants can be a welcome change of pace.  My personal preferences are Le Bistro and Cagney's.  YMMV.

Unfortunately, however, NCL rules don't allow transference of Latitudes or FAS dining benefits.

I agree. When I did a 10 day in January with my 2 granddaughters I also had 5 meals so we went every other night to specialty and 5 in haven. Purchased extra meals for them so we could all eat together.

Was also on the Joy two weeks ago and all we had were specialty dining. Did not eat in Le Bistro this time, nor Q, but enjoyed all of our meals. Salmon was especially good in Ocean Blue and La Cucina. 

Joy has Food Republic which can be a nice change for lunch to utilize one of your meals.  

I am disappointed to see a couple of our favorite items are now missing from the specialty restaurants.  However, we can certainly find enough to enjoy.  When we are in Haven for a 7 day cruise, we decline the FAS dining and just use our two Platinum meals.  It's hard to find a better restaurant than the Haven.

• Like 3

I've been sailing on NCL since before Freestyle was a thing.  It's gone up and down many times over the years.  I haven't been a fan of most the specialty restaurants for a few years now.  My last couple of cruises, Food Republic was the unlikely standout on the ships I was on. I miss those $5 Le Bistro dinners with the optional $5 foie gras!  The clock never stops!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jingle5616 said:

I've been sailing on NCL since before Freestyle was a thing.  It's gone up and down many times over the years.  I haven't been a fan of most the specialty restaurants for a few years now.  My last couple of cruises, Food Republic was the unlikely standout on the ships I was on. I miss those $5 Le Bistro dinners with the optional $5 foie gras!  The clock never stops!

I was planning 2 food republic lunches on sea days! I loved it last cruise. Le bistro used to be a favorite also. May try it again

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I have read so many disparate reviews of Q. Should we just try it once and hope for a good night?

Hmmmm…tried it on 2 different ships.  Both times good!  I know people get into debates about “real” BBQ.  But, there’s so many different types.  If Q doesn’t fit in their definition of BBQ, they dis it.

Get their “sampler”.  I’m sure something will appeal!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Get their “sampler”.  I’m sure something will appeal!

Good advice.  That said, I did get their sampler and nothing really appealed.  Maybe I'm just not a BBQ aficionado.  That's okay.  It was worth the (free) price of admission, but I'll not return.

Definitely missing the duck and mussels from LeBistro.  My son used to love the chocolate fondue there, but that's been gone for a while.

I'm missing beef options in the MDR aside from the always available strip steak.

• Like 1

Our last Prima trip was 12 days and we only did a couple specialties.  Left other perks on the table.

People complain about non changing haven menu.  Well, if I can eat streak most nights, something we don't do at home, I'm happy.  Plus the service was good.

Compared to reduced menus, haphazard service in specialties, don't blame the OP.

• Like 1

I was on the Joy a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed by the changes in Food Republic in which a number of items had recently been removed from the menu so the variety is less and less every year. What I had was mostly good (one of my faves, the Peruvian skewers... the meat was cooked beautifully but there was almost no seasoning or flavor to it, which hampered the dish. Reminded me of the last time I was in Moderno and almost all of the meat brought out was absolutely flavorless)

20 hours ago, Bonobochick said:

I was on the Joy a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed by the changes in Food Republic in which a number of items had recently been removed from the menu so the variety is less and less every year. What I had was mostly good (one of my faves, the Peruvian skewers... the meat was cooked beautifully but there was almost no seasoning or flavor to it, which hampered the dish. Reminded me of the last time I was in Moderno and almost all of the meat brought out was absolutely flavorless)

We've always loved FR.  Menu was huge.  Saw changes and not inspiring.  Place not ever busy so my guess it will go away.

I think my limit would be 3 times in the Haven for dinner. And I do not think I can do any of the other specials more than 2 times.

That being said Q was better than I thought it would be. Cagney's and Lebistro good not great.

On other ships I did not like the Mexican restaurant. But some of the others did.

The Main dinning has been well not so good for a while now.

The buffet is good for breakfast and just ok for lunch. Below par for dinner a lot of the main courses are served in some kind of sauce or stew which I despise and makes me think they are covering up poor quality meats or serving left overs.