Excursion Suggestions for Panama Canal with Costa Rica & Caribbean (12 Day)

Hello! Hoping to get some excursion suggestions for the cruise I am taking in December/January.

Sounds l don't need an excursion for Cartagena from what I was reading. I think I am going to take a taxi to the walled city. Any suggestions for the other ports would be greatly appreciated!

Ports:

- Aruba

- Curacao

- Cartagena

- Panama Canal Partial New Locks

- Limon

- Ocho Rios

Thanks!

One of the best excursions we have ever done is the one where you get off the ship in Gatun Lake and continue on through the other locks (Pacific Ocean) on a smaller boat and then bus back to Cartegena. It's long and you may have to wait a while since you will be in a smaller boat to pass through locks (they will collect several smaller boats for one passage) but you'll see an entirely different view from a small boat going through the locks! It's well worth the time. And, don't pass on seeing the small zoo as @cr8tiv1 said above. It's *totally* unexpected as you enter the pier area to rejoin the ship, but it's quite nice!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

One of the best excursions we have ever done is the one where you get off the ship in Gatun Lake and continue on through the other locks (Pacific Ocean) on a smaller boat and then bus back to Cartegena. It's long and you may have to wait a while since you will be in a smaller boat to pass through locks (they will collect several smaller boats for one passage) but you'll see an entirely different view from a small boat going through the locks! It's well worth the time. And, don't pass on seeing the small zoo as @cr8tiv1 said above. It's *totally* unexpected as you enter the pier area to rejoin the ship, but it's quite nice!

Bus back to Colon, not Cartagena…

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Bus back to Colon, not Cartagena…

Sorry, yes...Colon! Things start getting fuzzy when I try to remember without checking my history!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Would you know the specific tour name? We have a Panama Canal cruise booked and would like to take this excursion, but there are several with similar sounding descriptions. Thanks!

51 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Would you know the specific tour name? We have a Panama Canal cruise booked and would like to take this excursion, but there are several with similar sounding descriptions. Thanks!

"Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat"

There are other excursions involving cruises on Gatun Lake, but they do not go through the locks to the Pacific. I would highly recommend this excursion, especially if your ship is going through the new locks. This excursion goes through the historical locks, which I find much more interesting.

Note that a private excursion is not an option from Gatun Lake. The ship does not dock. You cannot go ashore unless you are booked on a ship excursion.

I also highly recommend you read David McCullough's book The Path Between the Seas before your cruise. It is the definitive history of the building of the Panama Canal.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I had to look back in my "archive"...I *may* have shortened the name but it was something akin to "Panama Canal & Locks Transit by Boat".

LOL! @NavyVeteran beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Thanks 1