Door Decorations ?

22 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

I enjoy these frequent door décor threads. So polarizing, and yet entertaining. 

I just had a thought that they remind me of the Kids On A Cruise threads. 

Side A - Nope, keep 'em away from me, they are nasty, ill behaved,  snot nose cruise wreckers. Leave 'em home with Grandma. 

Side B - Not MY kids / grandkids. They are wonderful, experienced, cruising little angels. Your life  (and that of the the crew) will be so much better for knowing them. 

The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle. 

ETA,  not trying to open the kids discussion again, it is on here often enough. Just mentioning a parallel.  

We always choose cruises where they'll be less of the little darlings aboard, or at least try to. It's usually around 20 to 30 at most and for us even that amount can be trying if there are trouble makers among them. 

We're definitely Side A people.  

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I had another passenger thank me for my cabin door decoration, he said “I see your door and know I am on the right side”.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 3

These are NOT my decorations -- they were our neighbor's on the Regal right before covid shutdown. Over the top in my opinion. Life sized Elvis?? And curtains??  These are the things that seem like fire hazards to me, as quoted by Princess. Just for the record we didn't complain -- we are the 'live and let live' type cruisers. But we did think it was over the top. 

Screenshot_20240710_113741_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20240710_113749_Drive.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

These are NOT my decorations -- they were our neighbor's on the Regal right before covid shutdown. Over the top in my opinion. Life sized Elvis?? And curtains??  These are the things that seem like fire hazards to me, as quoted by Princess. Just for the record we didn't complain -- we are the 'live and let live' type cruisers. But we did think it was over the top. 

Looks way over the top to me

• Like 2

We just got off the Ruby yesterday and we had one Alaskan magnet on each door for our two rooms. Just added a little fun when we'd come back. There were lots of families on board and many doors were decorated. To each their own! 

• Like 1

I find it really disheartening to think that people on board ship with you, and probably on your deck, would steal a door magnet. 

I don’t mind door decorations (as long as they aren’t political) but I go to great lengths (but not expense!) to avoid kids. They invariably misbehave. 

1 hour ago, paddingtonbear said:

They invariably misbehave.

in·var·i·a·bly
/ˌinˈverēəblē,inˈverēəblē/

adverb
  1. in every case or on every occasion; always.

And it is hyperbole like this that keeps the "kids on a cruise" threads both lively and infuriating. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, paddingtonbear said:

I find it really disheartening to think that people on board ship with you, and probably on your deck, would steal a door magnet. 

It was one of our groups doors, that had a personalized cruise magnet taken.  (I guess if they have the same unusual Bohemian last name, it might make a little sense.)  Sadly, this is the world we live in today.  Common courtesy of others and their belongings no longer exists.  People just do what they want with no repercussions for their actions. /rant

• Like 3

On 7/9/2024 at 4:42 PM, arizonaperson said:

I so agree. I usually remember what deck I’m on, but not always the cabin number- so I might be one of those.🤣🤣🤣

Every time someone asked our cabin # on our last cruise, DH would look at me for the answer! LOL!  And while it's helpful to have a door decoration to confirm your room location, I do it because I like to.  Our last cruise we were celebrating our anniversary.  The one before was for New Year's Eve and another was for DH's birthday.  What's wrong with celebrating fun times on a cruise?  We use magnets that do not damage the door in any way and we have never been asked to remove them....not even on the Regal.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, phabric said:

I had another passenger thank me for my cabin door decoration, he said “I see your door and know I am on the right side”.

When I posted a magnet saying "We survived the Coral Princess covid cruise", I had several people come up to us and share that they also survived it. Even our cabin steward on one of our Alaska cruises also commented as he was on the same cruise. It's a conversation starter and a way to share experiences.

• Like 3

On 7/9/2024 at 12:21 PM, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

We'll be going on a X-Mas cruise in 2025.  I think that is a great idea!  Although, Santa's will probably be very common on that cruise..

Someone just stole one of our family's custom license plate magnets just a few weeks ago on our Alaska cruise.  Had them made up for every cabin door with family name and cruise info.  Someone must have really liked them, to just take one off the door.

I ordered our upcoming "Santa" cruise magnet on Etsy. Really cute and festive. The kid likes to put up one magnet and that's okay with me!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, Boku said:

Do you decorate hotel doors too? I read some people say it helps them find their stateroom, I use the number on the door to identify my stateroom, it works quite well 😉

I don't, but I have seen people do it especially during holidays (at Christmas/Easter/Halloween)  I think many think of the cruise ship as their home away from home for a period of time so they may decorate as they do at home.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:
in·var·i·a·bly
/ˌinˈverēəblē,inˈverēəblē/

adverb
  1. in every case or on every occasion; always.

And it is hyperbole like this that keeps the "kids on a cruise" threads both lively and infuriating. 

I honestly didn't know that it invariably meant always.  I should have said generally.  I have never (not hyperbole) been on a cruise (I haven't been on many) where there hasn't been a screaming child disturbing the peace or a group of children running up the stairs yelling or running around playing dodgem cars with adults.

I have children, I like children, but I think a lot of parents let their children run rampant without consideration for others in public spaces. 

It doesn't disturb me greatly I just choose to cruise when I think there might be less children aboard. 

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Thrak said:

On one cruise years ago on Coral Princess I would have really appreciated a visual clue as I found myself repeatedly trying to get "my" door to unlock before realizing I was on the wrong deck. Fortunately, nobody else was around. (No, it wasn't late at night. It was the middle of the day.)

I've done the same exact thing. Right down to the middle of the day.  An no, alcohol was not involved.  When my card didn't work, I knocked on the door and wondered why my wife (who I knew was our cabin) wouldn't let me in.  Luckily, no one was else there either.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Love it!!  Very creative!
We were on a cruise during Halloween and there was a door decorating contest...it was fun to participate!

IMG_8320.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, suzyed said:

Love it!!  Very creative!
We were on a cruise during Halloween and there was a door decorating contest...it was fun to participate!

IMG_8320.jpeg

Is that toilet paper??

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Is that toilet paper??

Yes, because the photo to the right of it is a skeleton sitting on the toilet!  LOL!  Tacky, I know...but I won the contest.  Ha Ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/9/2024 at 3:08 PM, Boku said:

Do you decorate hotel doors too? I read some people say it helps them find their stateroom, I use the number on the door to identify my stateroom, it works quite well 😉

I don't decorate hotel doors because I don't view it as a "home away from home" as I do a cruise cabin. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:17 AM, paddingtonbear said:

I honestly didn't know that it invariably meant always.  I should have said generally.  I have never (not hyperbole) been on a cruise (I haven't been on many) where there hasn't been a screaming child disturbing the peace or a group of children running up the stairs yelling or running around playing dodgem cars with adults.

I have children, I like children, but I think a lot of parents let their children run rampant without consideration for others in public spaces. 

It doesn't disturb me greatly I just choose to cruise when I think there might be less children aboard. 

Go on Adult only cruises
Thats what they are there for.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LittleTinker said:

Go on Adult only cruises
Thats what they are there for.

Do Princess do those? 

From what I can see Princess just says go to the Sanctuary to avoid kids. 

Edited by paddingtonbear