Replenishing the libraries

I always have a “real” book as a place holder if I need to step away from my table if I’m in the buffet. 

I like bringing several books to donate to the library.  My niece recently had her first short story published.  She was thrilled when I bought an extra copy of the book for Silhouette’s library.  Will have many readers.

I love this idea! We were on the Solstice in May. I brought my usual 3 real, printed on paper books. It turned out that one of them had been reprinted with a new cover and I realized on page 2 that I had read it already. No big deal. Down to the library I went, donated my brand new, hard cover book. I browsed the books, and found one I liked. It turned out to be excellent! On our Equinox cruise out of Port Canaveral in December, I am going to clean out my bookshelf. We're driving so it is a perfect opportunity to clean up my office and help out our fellow travelers!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I always bring and leave several books.  Unfortunately most people don't and the ship doesn't buy them anymore.  In fact, when you leave them the ship slaps their own sticker on them so no one takes them home which I think is wrong since they didn't buy them.  But I would absolutely LOVE to see more people bring books and leave them when they are done.  Many of us (like me) much prefer a book in hand to reading on a tablet or Kindle.   

I have seen plenty of books without a sticker on that were clearly left by passengers🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I always buy two or three paperbacks at Costco before we go on long trips and yes, leave them on the ship. They're usually fluffy chick-lit that isn't too intellectually taxing. 🤣  I travel with only carry-ons and they don't take up that much space or add a huge amount of weight. And yeah, space for whatever I buy while away.

33 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

I always buy two or three paperbacks at Costco before we go on long trips and yes, leave them on the ship. They're usually fluffy chick-lit that isn't too intellectually taxing. 🤣  I travel with only carry-ons and they don't take up that much space or add a huge amount of weight. And yeah, space for whatever I buy while away.

Slightly OT, but I see where Costco is going to stop selling books. 😬

On 7/9/2024 at 9:50 PM, Ommadawn said:

I went on an Alaskan cruise on the Solstice a few weeks ago. I had seen pictures of how emaciated the library on that ship had become. I packed two hardback books that I no longer wanted into my suitcase and I traded the two books for one book from the library. I think if each of us readers do that on each cruise (or even half of us), then we could replenish the libraries on the ships and we would have a much wider selection from which to borrow and from which to trade. You can't even receive a rate of trade that good at a used bookstore.

Does that sound like a good idea to y'all?

I noticed that on Solstice in 2022 and thought it was a Covid thing.  What a great idea!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2024 at 11:43 AM, KKB said:

I have seen plenty of books without a sticker on that were clearly left by passengers🤷‍♀️

yes, it can take awhile.  But sooner or later they definitely do that.

On 7/11/2024 at 1:55 PM, 39august said:

Me too. Often the "return" box has several donated books. I always look there first. 

I always check that out too.  Often the best books are there!  

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 3:20 AM, Ommadawn said:

Not to cast aspersions, but I flew from Lubbock, Texas to Bellingham, Washington, and then took a train from Bellingham to Vancouver to board the ship with the two hardbacks in my suitcase. It is doable. 🙂

Absolutely, if you only want a few books, it’s very doable. As an avid reader, I haven’t packed printed books in many years though. The effort of carrying them just isn’t worth it. Having them all in one device with no need for reading lights made me a complete convert to my Kindle, especially once library loans became available.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Absolutely, if you only want a few books, it’s very doable. As an avid reader, I haven’t packed printed books in many years though. The effort of carrying them just isn’t worth it. Having them all in one device with no need for reading lights made me a complete convert to my Kindle, especially once library loans became available.

My iPad Kindle is also loaded!

But I still love print books as does our 26YO DD--her Xmas list always has a full page of books she wants! She encourages me to order from Abebooks or Thriftbooks & donate ones we don't want anymore. 

I admit the Costco display can real me in--instead I take a pic of the display & put interesting ones on my "To Read" list.

BTW subscribe to Book Bub--they send me a daily email of discounted & free Kindle titles, specific to the genres of my interest. I've loaded quite a few free reads from that! 
Plus if I start the book & don't care for it, no guilt for money spent.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2024 at 9:19 PM, jelayne said:

Where is a library on the Apex?  We have been on all 4 E class ships and never saw a library.  There was a cart by Guest Services on the Edge & Apex where you could drop off books.  On the Beyond and Ascent there was s shelf in Eden where some dropped off of picked up books to read.

There is a small collection of books on the Apex. Across the ship from Guest Services on deck 3 there is a bookcase and some glass-fronted cabinets with jewelery and Celebrity branded items. Today there were about 100 books plus several magazines. It looked as if previous guests had left books and magazines there. I would not call it a library.