Iceland cruise on Viking

Lenbro1944

Has anyone done the 8 day cruise around Iceland on the Mars or other Viking ships? Would like to hear your review. What about the tours? Which ones did you do and likes and dislikes. Were they the included tours and if not included what were the costs? Since this a pretty vigorous itinerary what was the demographics of the cruisers?

8 hours ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Has anyone done the 8 day cruise around Iceland on the Mars or other Viking ships? Would like to hear your review. What about the tours? Which ones did you do and likes and dislikes. Were they the included tours and if not included what were the costs? Since this a pretty vigorous itinerary what was the demographics of the cruisers?

We are doing Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes in 3 weeks. This is not the circumnavigation of Iceland but does sail the northern shore. I will be posting a full review.

In the meantime we have booked all our excursions and MVJ is open. If you have a specific excursion in mind, I can see if it’s on our itinerary and provide cost. Most are $150-$299.

We have an extension in Reykjavik and are doing an independent Golden Circle tour.

9 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We are doing Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes in 3 weeks. This is not the circumnavigation of Iceland but does sail the northern shore. I will be posting a full review.

In the meantime we have booked all our excursions and MVJ is open. If you have a specific excursion in mind, I can see if it’s on our itinerary and provide cost. Most are $150-$299.

We have an extension in Reykjavik and are doing an independent Golden Circle tour.

Go to Messinn for dinner one night. Get the wolffish pan. You can thank me later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HUNKY said:

In ĺsafjördur we did the Vigur Island paid shorex.  $179 per person.  Very interesting and Puffins galore!

We did the very first circumnavigation cruise of Iceland after the Covid shutdown by Viking, in June-July 2021.  It was and is one of our favorites.  We had to do all Viking excursions to stay within the “Viking Bubble,” but thoroughly enjoyed the Golden Circle, Vigur Island, and Skalanes nature preserve. Sorry, I can’t remember the prices.  I wish we could do it again, with a bit more flexibility this time!

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We did the very first circumnavigation cruise of Iceland after the Covid shutdown by Viking, in June-July 2021.  It was and is one of our favorites.  We had to do all Viking excursions to stay within the “Viking Bubble,” but thoroughly enjoyed the Golden Circle, Vigur Island, and Skalanes nature preserve. Sorry, I can’t remember the prices.  I wish we could do it again, with a bit more flexibility this time!

Skalanes Nature Center is currently $219

Vigur Island is now $229

How is Skalanes? We booked Iceland’s Pristine Panorama but have time to change as both are available.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

19 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Vigur Island is now $229

How is Skalanes? We booked Iceland’s Pristine Panorama but have time to change as both are available.

Best I can do is show you a few pictures.  It was just gorgeous when we were there. Lupin everywhere and lots of puffins there too.IMG_4425.thumb.jpeg.3dce69031defc45415f4272c74959c3c.jpegIMG_4435.jpeg.b1f5ac372212b16649e227525d1ff6ab.jpegIMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.b4be54e94e52c9a7c48890e97a85e96b.jpegIMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.8c347cfe586772e18922abb3bb0031f9.jpeg

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, deec said:

Has anyone done a Vigur Island with a private company?

I may be wrong, but I believe there is only one company that goes to Vigur Island. And when a cruise ship is in port, they contract with the ship and are unavailable for private booking. When I was looking at shore excursions for our Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes cruise last summer, I was worried that we might not get Viking’s excursion to Vigur because we were in a DV so I looked into alternatives. The only available excursions were for later in the day and wouldn’t be returning to port until after our ship had left. Luckily, we’re able to go with Viking, because it’s a great experience with lots of puffins! Of course, if you are in Isafjordur on your own, it’s certainly possible to book a later trip to Vigur on your own.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We loved Skalanes. It’s a nice drive out to the preserve and then a lovely walk through fields of lupines until you arrive at a cliffside viewing point. Loads of bird life circling the cliffs, including lots of puffins, some of whom posed for us just a few feet away from us.

IMG_9260.jpeg

Edited by ReaderGirl57
Added text and pictures
  • Like 3

Thanks for this help...any other great excursions to suggest?  We don't go until next June and will start in Bergen and end in NYC!

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Vigur Island is now $229

Prices have indeed gone up.  But - perhaps in the scheme of things, given air plus cruise pricing it still might be worth it.

We took both and both were among the best excursions we did (along with National Treasures).

2 hours ago, ReaderGirl57 said:

We loved Skalanes. It’s a nice drive out to the preserve and then a lovely walk through fields of lupines until you arrive at a cliffside viewing point. Loads of bird life circling the cliffs, including lots of puffins, some of whom posed for us just a few feet away from us.

IMG_9260.jpeg

IMG_9268.mov

I second this!

Ha!  I remember that puffin last year on the cliff 🙂

2 hours ago, ReaderGirl57 said:

I may be wrong, but I believe there is only one company that goes to Vigur Island. And when a cruise ship is in port, they contract with the ship and are unavailable for private booking. When I was looking at shore excursions for our Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes cruise last summer, I was worried that we might not get Viking’s excursion to Vigur because we were in a DV so I looked into alternatives. The only available excursions were for later in the day and wouldn’t be returning to port until after our ship had left. Luckily, we’re able to go with Viking, because it’s a great experience with lots of puffins! Of course, if you are in Isafjordur on your own, it’s certainly possible to book a later trip to Vigur on your own.

The island is privately owned and there is a limitation on the number of people in a day.  Also a limitation on which months/dates tours can proceed.  We met the owner and she told us this.  That is probably why the prices have gone up as well.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The island is privately owned and there is a limitation on the number of people in a day.  Also a limitation on which months/dates tours can proceed.  We met the owner and she told us this.  That is probably why the prices have gone up as well.

You can’t visit Vigur during certain weeks in June ( I believe) due to Eider ducks nesting. Check it out if this pertains to your plans.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Best I can do is show you a few pictures.  It was just gorgeous when we were there. Lupin everywhere and lots of puffins there too.IMG_4425.thumb.jpeg.3dce69031defc45415f4272c74959c3c.jpegIMG_4435.jpeg.b1f5ac372212b16649e227525d1ff6ab.jpegIMG_4427.thumb.jpeg.b4be54e94e52c9a7c48890e97a85e96b.jpegIMG_4428.thumb.jpeg.8c347cfe586772e18922abb3bb0031f9.jpeg

Alaska called - they want their lupine back.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Alaska called - they want their lupine back.

I guess. Saw no lupine in Alaska.  And enjoyed the Iceland trip so much more than Alaska.

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I guess. Saw no lupine in Alaska.  And enjoyed the Iceland trip so much more than Alaska.

Came from Alaska. Helps keep Iceland from blowing away.

6 hours ago, deec said:

Thanks for this help...any other great excursions to suggest?  We don't go until next June and will start in Bergen and end in NYC!

We're on this cruise. Just signed up for the Oslo pre cruise extension. Looking forward to taking the Oslo to Bergen train.

Deec/sonnycruises - when in Bergen be sure to visit the Arven gold and silversmith.  You can watch while they work, and of course there are things to buy, including vintage pieces.

It is a quick 8 minute walk from the port, at Sandbrogaten 11.

that sounds like a great idea ...we will be looking for things to do in Bergen since this will be our 3rd time!

Lots of bird talk here.  Not sure if people know but the bird activity really varies depending on the time of the season you are there.  Late season don't expect to see many, they will have migrated.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, janetcbl said:

You can’t visit Vigur during certain weeks in June ( I believe) due to Eider ducks nesting. Check it out if this pertains to your plans.

Yes, Janet, that is correct.  We were there on June 16 (2023) and Vigur had been closed until a day or two before we arrived.  We were very lucky to be one of the first that year to visit and see the puffins and Eider ducks there.  I remember the date because the next day we were in Akureyri on Iceland Independence Day. (June 17).

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

We missed Heimaey today.  Seas were too rough to tender in. So keep in mind that tender ports may be missed. Captain is heading directly to Reykjavik. We will berth whenever we can, but we should be there well before those with early flights need to disembark for the airport and start home.

Until today we had wonderful weather and great experiences each day.  Everyone is taking the sea day very well.  The cruise director and crew did a good job.

BTW, there were many birds at Vigur Island and a couple seals in the water. Very nice experience.

29 minutes ago, BRWolf said:

We missed Heimaey today.  Seas were too rough to tender in. So keep in mind that tender ports may be missed. Captain is heading directly to Reykjavik. We will berth whenever we can, but we should be there well before those with early flights need to disembark for the airport and start home.

Until today we had wonderful weather and great experiences each day.  Everyone is taking the sea day very well.  The cruise director and crew did a good job.

BTW, there were many birds at Vigur Island and a couple seals in the water. Very nice experience.

Keep in mind that any port may be missed.