Status of Labadee

Posted (edited)

Are any cruise ships stopping at Labadee now?     Independence of the Seas 4 night in October lists Labadee as the 1 stop.   What places have been  substituted?   Are there plans to re-open Labadee?

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

There are no plans announced to reopen labadee. Who knows the future. 

There have been various ports announced as substitutes, whatever is open where they can get a berth imo. 

Posted (edited)

It will be like playing the slots, lucky will rule the stop. 

When San Juan was closed, whatever port had a slip deep enough for the ship was where we went instead. There are several months between now and then. We do not know what other ports may have the weather impact their availability, or if Labadee can be ready for us in the fall. Hopefully, we will all know before we board. 

EDIT  Thank you Another_Critic, for those details. Much appreciated. 

Edited by sandy toes

Posted (edited)

Nothing has changed and likely won't for a while.  It's pure chaos and I don't know why anyone would want to go there with the current situation.  I doubt Labadee will be a stop for a long time, if ever.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BND said:

It's pure chaos and I don't know why anyone would want to go there with the current situation

The only chaos is several hours away and hasn't shown any indication of expanding outside of Port Au Prince.

The Kenyan police force sent to Haiti is already making progress in reclaiming the city from the gangs.

Now none of that, obviously, means anything to when RC may restart Labadee. But they're still pumping money into the town in the form of supplies, especially fuel. They stop there once in a while to drop off supplies.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, BND said:

Nothing has changed and likely won't for a while.  It's pure chaos and I don't know why anyone would want to go there with the current situation.  I doubt Labadee will be a stop for a long time, if ever.

I think RCI is doing the right thing, but I would go to Labadee tomorrow without worrying about anything. I worry more about walking in most major US cities at night than going to Labadee. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

This sounds like some of the COVID era pronouncements. 

Let me know when it stabilizes.  Meanwhile, is anyone actually there to maintain it?

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think RCI is doing the right thing, but I would go to Labadee tomorrow without worrying about anything. I worry more about walking in most major US cities at night than going to Labadee. 

RCI is risk averse at this point.  

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The only chaos is several hours away and hasn't shown any indication of expanding outside of Port Au Prince.

The Kenyan police force sent to Haiti is already making progress in reclaiming the city from the gangs.

Now none of that, obviously, means anything to when RC may restart Labadee. But they're still pumping money into the town in the form of supplies, especially fuel. They stop there once in a while to drop off supplies.

Apparently the gangs have vowed to fight the Kenyan police.  And I couldn't find any story saying they had made any progress.  The stories I've found are about what the Haitian gov hopes and intend.  And at home in Kenya, they have been accused of human rights abuses for years. 

Also, the State Dept wants all American's except for some assigned to the Embassy out of the country so it's not exactly a location any travel company will take anyone to.  

RCI has dropped supplies there for a long time.  Pretty sure it's part of their agreement.  We were there not long after the earthquake and the ship delivered a lot of supplies.  And, there is a huge black market so a lot of them are stolen. The gangs intercept deliveries and take it.  

30 minutes ago, BND said:

Apparently the gangs have vowed to fight the Kenyan police.  And I couldn't find any story saying they had made any progress.  The stories I've found are about what the Haitian gov hopes and intend.  And at home in Kenya, they have been accused of human rights abuses for years. 

Also, the State Dept wants all American's except for some assigned to the Embassy out of the country so it's not exactly a location any travel company will take anyone to.  

RCI has dropped supplies there for a long time.  Pretty sure it's part of their agreement.  We were there not long after the earthquake and the ship delivered a lot of supplies.  And, there is a huge black market so a lot of them are stolen. The gangs intercept deliveries and take it.  

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-hospital-gang-violence-kenyan-forces-30a26a849d90f7c32be9c1f888ab89c0

https://apnews.com/article/un-haiti-kenya-police-force-gangs-elections-141e05d7b361eae9521acdb5a731ce14

The State Department has warned about visiting Port Au Prince for years.

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Violence is also on the rise outside Haiti’s capital. Last week, armed gangs attacked families located in Terre-Neuve, a village in northern Haiti, forcing more than 1,000 people to flee their homes to safer areas. 

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-gang-violence-displacement-0f1a492c9231161a54037ca5b9b7e676

4 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Violence is also on the rise outside Haiti’s capital. Last week, armed gangs attacked families located in Terre-Neuve, a village in northern Haiti, forcing more than 1,000 people to flee their homes to safer areas. 

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-gang-violence-displacement-0f1a492c9231161a54037ca5b9b7e676

That was a month ago

Since the July 2021 assassination of President Jovenel Moïse, the gangs have grown in power. The country has had disaster upon disaster. It lacked infrastructure prior but now much of that is destroyed or in poor condition. The social support service is in such horrible disarray. The gangs take what they want, build increasing fear in the people, "liberate" prisoners as members, and bring terror with them as they move about the country. I was in Port Au Prince with the Red Cross Disaster Team and things were bad then. The country hasn't had a chance. It is poor. Labadee is actually part of the Dominican Republic. There is one island Hispaniola which is shared by both Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Haiti occupies 3/8s of the island. a mountain range separates the two. 

I do worry about the Kenyan Police force as they have been called out by the UN for what they have done in their own country, yet they are part of this UN approved multi-national police force being sent to Haiti to take the country back from the gangs. The big question is will they be able to help, or will they add more conflict? 

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That was a month ago

Just can't concede ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BND said:

Royal was “quick” to go back last time after the assignation of the Haitian president and widespread gang takeover (the last time a large number of US citizens were taken hostage). 

For comparison, the entire island of Hispaniola (3/8 is Haiti, 5/8 is Dominican Republic, with a mountain range between the two) is about the size of South Carolina. The unrest is currently mostly in the capital of Haiti but has over flowed into some other areas. Royal does not want to risk the safety of its guests or the ship.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

No it's not. 

I stand corrected. It is part of Haiti. Just as CoCoCay is part of the Bahamas.

Edited by sandy toes
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, sandy toes said:

Yes it is. Just as CoCoCay is part of the Bahamas.

What country do you think it belongs to? Just because Royal bought the land doesn't mean that is is no longer part of the country.

It's part of Haiti, not the DR.

The "address" is Labadee, Haiti.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

Yes it is. Just as CoCoCay is part of the Bahamas.

What country do you think it belongs to? Just because Royal bought the land doesn't mean that is is no longer part of the country.

Lol

this is good

• Like 2