Onboard deposits....what happens if you need to change cruise?

lahore

Hi, I recently had a very unpleasant interaction with the Celebrity Call Centre staff and want to be sure of my ground before I go back for a second try.  My situation is that I purchased a 3 cruise backtobacktoback onboard, paying 3x $100 deposits times two ($600 total).  I now find that the 3x cruises sit right across a wedding that we really want to attend.  If I change or cancel the cruises, what is your reading and/or experiences please in regard to the deposit.  I find the online wording a bit confusing.  Do I lose my money, can I transfer it to a different booking, or (no chance I suspect) can it be refunded?   Also, what If I cancelled one leg of the b2b2b....could I transfer that $200 to the remaining two cruises?  Any advice would be much appreciated.   TIA

Whatever else you are told, keep in mind that even though you know, you have booked back to back to back cruises, they are actually independent bookings. As such, don’t expect to be able to transfer the deposit from One cruise to another in the sequence.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lahore said:

Hi, I recently had a very unpleasant interaction with the Celebrity Call Centre staff and want to be sure of my ground before I go back for a second try.  My situation is that I purchased a 3 cruise backtobacktoback onboard, paying 3x $100 deposits times two ($600 total).  I now find that the 3x cruises sit right across a wedding that we really want to attend.  If I change or cancel the cruises, what is your reading and/or experiences please in regard to the deposit.  I find the online wording a bit confusing.  Do I lose my money, can I transfer it to a different booking, or (no chance I suspect) can it be refunded?   Also, what If I cancelled one leg of the b2b2b....could I transfer that $200 to the remaining two cruises?  Any advice would be much appreciated.   TIA

Terms and conditions vary from country to country so ideally you need a response from a countryman as I think Australian terms and conditions will apply regardless of it being booked on board. 

Edited by chemmo

23 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Terms and conditions vary from country to country so ideally you need a response from a countryman as I think Australian terms and conditions will apply regardless of it being booked on board. 

Yes, that is more than likely correct, although I'd be interested to hear what everyone has to say.  

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Whatever else you are told, keep in mind that even though you know, you have booked back to back to back cruises, they are actually independent bookings. As such, don’t expect to be able to transfer the deposit from One cruise to another in the sequence.

Yeah, thanks.  I don't actually expect much at all.... but no harm in being well informed prior to making enquiries. 😉

2 hours ago, lahore said:

Did you book the 3 cruises with a refundable or nonrefundable deposit?

Not possible to transfer a deposit on one cruise to another already booked cruise. When you made the deposits and then booked the cruises conditions are set. You may be able to move the deposit to a new cruise but there may be a $100 penalty so you will lose that $100 unless you chose the refundable price for the cruise. So first thing you must do is check the terms under which you booked your cruises. This rules.

1 hour ago, lahore said:

Yes, that is more than likely correct, although I'd be interested to hear what everyone has to say.  

For us in the UK cancellation of a cruise means a loss of deposit. No refund of deposit or transfer to an already existing booking.

However, for a fee of £75 each for guests 1 and 2 (no further charge for other guests in the room) you can move your deposit to any other cruise at any other time. This change is free if you are Elite or above.

Therefore, as you have three cruises booked you could just move one at a cost of £75 x 2 or move all for a cost of £75 x 2 x 3. Possibly they would waiver the cost of cruises 2 and 3…

When you phone back and speak to another agent it may be worth while explaining the situation and asking the agent ‘what options’ there are to modify the booking. Let them explain to you the choices you have.

• Like 1

@lahore, it might matter when you did this, this year or last year?

You need to review as your country rules may differ from US bookings. Celebrity recently made a change from 2023. If you booked onboard in 2023, the deposits were refundable, but you could then apply them to a non refundable deposit fare booking. What were the deposit terms for your 3 bookings? Usually you would pay a lot higher cruise fare to have refundable deposits, so I will guess you booked cruise fares that were priced at non refundable deposit rate? If so, moving or cancelling will result in loss of your $100 deposit each passenger. Assume you are still before final payment date?

For US passengers, buying on board deposits Jan 1, 2024 and later are now non refundable and are to be applied to non refundable deposit cruise fares. I think  they may also have the stipulation you must use within 6 months or lose them, so a lot more restrictive. 

Sounds like you did not buy book later deposits, but selected your B3B sailings while on board? Your booking confirmations should show if you booked a non refundable deposit cruise fare?

YMMV, since I am not sure what countries booking rules you fall under. 

We recently were able to move NR deposit from cruise booked on board to different cruise. A $100 fee was applied, and we able able to keep the OBC for the new cruise.

Same as above for us recently. Moved non refundable deposit with $100 each surcharge.  But this is in the US. Other countries may have other rules. 

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

For us in the UK cancellation of a cruise means a loss of deposit. No refund of deposit or transfer to an already existing booking.

However, for a fee of £75 each for guests 1 and 2 (no further charge for other guests in the room) you can move your deposit to any other cruise at any other time. This change is free if you are Elite or above.

Therefore, as you have three cruises booked you could just move one at a cost of £75 x 2 or move all for a cost of £75 x 2 x 3. Possibly they would waiver the cost of cruises 2 and 3…

When you phone back and speak to another agent it may be worth while explaining the situation and asking the agent ‘what options’ there are to modify the booking. Let them explain to you the choices you have.

Brilliant advice chemo!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone.  I am not usually naive, but in this case I had failed to read the conditions on the original invoice with sufficient thoroughness. It could still be said to be confusing because the same document lists what I will cut and paste below, but also refers people to the Australian T's & C's.  The two sets of rules (buying onboard vs Aus rules) are in conflict so it's not crystal clear, but I'm going to go for the more favourable of the two and see how I go.  Here is what is on my invoice for purchased on board:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE FUTURE OBC OPTION (Shipboard Only) JUNE 2016 
Making your CruiseNow Booking is simple. 
First, choose your stateroom at time of booking Remember: the stateroom category, the cruise itinerary as well as the length of the voyage will determine the 
amount of the Onboard Credit that will be applied on your future cruise booked. 
Second, pay the minimum deposit amount (the “Deposit”) required for that booking. The Deposit shall be in an amount of 100 AUD/NZD per person for persons
in all categories. 
Now enjoy your cruise and the Special Promotional Offer! 
Further Payments. Payments on your CruiseNow Booking beyond the Deposit required for your CruiseNow Booking shall be due in accordance with Celebrity 
Cruises payment schedule applicable in your country of residence. Visit your Cruise Sales Team onboard and/or visit the Celebrity Cruises website in your 
country of residence for more details and full terms and conditions. 
Cancellations. Your CruiseNow Booking may be cancelled. Your Deposit and any further payments you make will be refundable if you cancel up to 70 days pre 
cruise or 90 days pre cruise for holiday sailings. 

Changes: For changes to a CruiseNow Booking with the Future OBC Option (excluding cancellation of the same) the following rules shall apply: • Your Deposit required for that modified CruiseNow Booking shall remain unchanged regardless of the ship, sail date, stateroom category that may be 
changed. The Special Promotional Offer e.g. Go Big, Better, Best, shall remain applicable subject to its terms and conditions.
• Your cruise fare due for the modified CruiseNow Booking shall be determined by the qualifying offers then available in your country of residence for 
customers booking using the Special Promotional Offer. Please check with your local Travel Professional or the Cruise Sales Team onboard for your available 
fares.

So I guess that I should be able to argue for the $200 deposit on the third cruise to be refunded.  I'll let you know how I go.  I don't really care, I'd be happy to take it as OBC or a transfer.  Let's see.....

Edited by lahore

Posted (edited)

Australian here. I've transferred booking from one cruise to another with payment of $100 pp fee.   Refund? Nope. 
As per this. 

31. Changing your booking

Subject to clause 29 (Price changes) and availability, some changes (excluding changes to ship or sailing date) can be made to your booking. You may request changes via your travel agent up to 45 days before departure. We will make every effort to meet your change request; however, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to make any requested change. Please note: any booking that is modified after the promotion has ended will result in the loss of the promotion. Examples of changes that will result in the promotion being forfeit are including, but not limited to; change of ship, sail date, category booked, amending the travel agency ID or selecting an alternate price/promotion. Up to 45 days before departure an administration fee of AU$50 per booking will be payable for each change requested. If you request a change within 45 days of departure, this will be treated as a cancellation of your original booking and cancellation charges as set out in these terms and conditions will be payable. The changed arrangements will then be treated as a new booking.

If you book a promotion cruise which stipulates that the deposit is non-refundable, a change fee of AU$100 per person per change will apply up to 151 days prior to departure. Inside of 150 days, ticket contract cancellation conditions will apply.

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, lahore said:

Thank you everyone.  I am not usually naive, but in this case I had failed to read the conditions on the original invoice with sufficient thoroughness. It could still be said to be confusing because the same document lists what I will cut and paste below, but also refers people to the Australian T's & C's.  The two sets of rules (buying onboard vs Aus rules) are in conflict so it's not crystal clear, but I'm going to go for the more favourable of the two and see how I go.  Here is what is on my invoice for purchased on board:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE FUTURE OBC OPTION (Shipboard Only) JUNE 2016 
Making your CruiseNow Booking is simple. 
First, choose your stateroom at time of booking Remember: the stateroom category, the cruise itinerary as well as the length of the voyage will determine the 
amount of the Onboard Credit that will be applied on your future cruise booked. 
Second, pay the minimum deposit amount (the “Deposit”) required for that booking. The Deposit shall be in an amount of 100 AUD/NZD per person for persons
in all categories. 
Now enjoy your cruise and the Special Promotional Offer! 
Further Payments. Payments on your CruiseNow Booking beyond the Deposit required for your CruiseNow Booking shall be due in accordance with Celebrity 
Cruises payment schedule applicable in your country of residence. Visit your Cruise Sales Team onboard and/or visit the Celebrity Cruises website in your 
country of residence for more details and full terms and conditions. 
Cancellations. Your CruiseNow Booking may be cancelled. Your Deposit and any further payments you make will be refundable if you cancel up to 70 days pre 
cruise or 90 days pre cruise for holiday sailings. 

Changes: For changes to a CruiseNow Booking with the Future OBC Option (excluding cancellation of the same) the following rules shall apply: • Your Deposit required for that modified CruiseNow Booking shall remain unchanged regardless of the ship, sail date, stateroom category that may be 
changed. The Special Promotional Offer e.g. Go Big, Better, Best, shall remain applicable subject to its terms and conditions.
• Your cruise fare due for the modified CruiseNow Booking shall be determined by the qualifying offers then available in your country of residence for 
customers booking using the Special Promotional Offer. Please check with your local Travel Professional or the Cruise Sales Team onboard for your available 
fares.

So I guess that I should be able to argue for the $200 deposit on the third cruise to be refunded.  I'll let you know how I go.  I don't really care, I'd be happy to take it as OBC or a transfer.  Let's see.....

Let us all know how you get on!

• 1 month later...

HI, sorry about late response.  Just for everyone's info, aftera long vacation in between phone calls, I finally mustered the motivation to phone Celebrity again.  After speaking to three people, being told a great deal of rubbish and receiving conflicting opinions, I finally got a supervisor, I did manage to get the $200 credited to one of the other bookings in the B2B as a 'goodwill gesture' (at my suggestion).  I think the supervisor realised that the contract I had was ambiguous at best as his argument was particularly weak, and I made it very clear I wasn't going to give up.  Really, it's not the $200, it is a matter of good will. I thought it was malicious of them to keep it when they could just as easily transfer it to one of the other bookings, and eventually they did so.  Over and out.  Phew. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good for you.  Sometimes it's better for them to do the good will gesture to get you off the phone as that costs them money as well.  

It did appear from the terms posted here and the terms in most parts of the world that cancellation does come with penalty so I don't think it malicious of them to impose that penalty but $200 is a pretty cheap way to keep a customer happy

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Good for you.  Sometimes it's better for them to do the good will gesture to get you off the phone as that costs them money as well.  

It did appear from the terms posted here and the terms in most parts of the world that cancellation does come with penalty so I don't think it malicious of them to impose that penalty but $200 is a pretty cheap way to keep a customer happy

It is amazing how much a goodwill gesture is worth. Not only do you please the customer you are dealing with they are likely to refer to friends, family and social media that you are ‘Reasonable and Accommodating’ rather than ‘Ruthless and Penny pinching’! 

• Like 2