Harbinger of Things to Come?

I've read and re-read Bethge's response to @johhnnyt's question asking about future features on Xcel.  I can't say I'm at all encouraged by the response:

"While we can’t reveal just yet the new features on Celebrity Xcel, we can tell you it will have 7 new experiences and will blur the lines between ship and shore like never before with newly imagined spaces. We look forward to sharing more later this year, stay tuned!" [emphasis mine]

There's an assumption packed into that reply that blurring the lines between ship and shore is a positive direction for the Celebrity brand.  While it remains to be seen in which areas this 'blur' will take place on this future Celebrity ship, we've all seen the results on Royal's latest offering, the Icon of the Seas (aka Six Flags over Mariana Trench) has brought a bit more of the land to the sea than the vast majority of Celebrity passengers would like in a cruise ship.  Are Celebrity passengers really looking for "7 new experiences" that help us forget that we're shipboard and make the cruise feel more like we're taking a land vacation at a resort?  I would think that to differentiate the experience and draw customers away from land vacations, one would create new and interesting, but uniquely water voyage / cruise / ship based experiences and activities that further differentiate the two. 

I'll withhold judgment until the actual features/experiences are announced, but the answer provided is vague enough now to promote an uncomfortable feeling with the direction of this new ship based upon recent build history at RCCL.

• Like 5

Earlier this week they displayed a bunch of new onboard experiences/activities. It wasn't specific to Xcel but some are new, some are rehashes of old long standing events. About half for pay, half free or included with loyalty or cabin level. Some have been rolled out already and some are still TDB. They are calling them Ship Experiences kind of like Shore Excursions. They are managed by the Shore Excursion desk. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Earlier this week they displayed a bunch of new onboard experiences/activities. It wasn't specific to Xcel but some are new, some are rehashes of old long standing events. About half for pay, half free or included with loyalty or cabin level. Some have been rolled out already and some are still TDB. They are calling them Ship Experiences kind of like Shore Excursions. They are managed by the Shore Excursion desk. 

Her answer, accurate or not, was in answer to a specific question about Xcel, and seemed to indicate that these seven new "experiences" were to be rolled out on Xcel.  Guess we'll have to wait until the first marketing brochures arrive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Earlier this week they displayed a bunch of new onboard experiences/activities.

Also please note her use of the phrase "newly imagined spaces".  This would further indicate that whatever this is about, it would originally be unique to the Xcel build since it indicates space must be set aside for these new activities.

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

I've read and re-read Bethge's response to @johhnnyt's question asking about future features on Xcel.  I can't say I'm at all encouraged by the response:

"While we can’t reveal just yet the new features on Celebrity Xcel, we can tell you it will have 7 new experiences and will blur the lines between ship and shore like never before with newly imagined spaces. We look forward to sharing more later this year, stay tuned!" [emphasis mine]

There's an assumption packed into that reply that blurring the lines between ship and shore is a positive direction for the Celebrity brand.  While it remains to be seen in which areas this 'blur' will take place on this future Celebrity ship, we've all seen the results on Royal's latest offering, the Icon of the Seas (aka Six Flags over Mariana Trench) has brought a bit more of the land to the sea than the vast majority of Celebrity passengers would like in a cruise ship.  Are Celebrity passengers really looking for "7 new experiences" that help us forget that we're shipboard and make the cruise feel more like we're taking a land vacation at a resort?  I would think that to differentiate the experience and draw customers away from land vacations, one would create new and interesting, but uniquely water voyage / cruise / ship based experiences and activities that further differentiate the two. 

I'll withhold judgment until the actual features/experiences are announced, but the answer provided is vague enough now to promote an uncomfortable feeling with the direction of this new ship based upon recent build history at RCCL.

I am not suggesting that Xcel will have this, but here is one manifestation of the ship-shore line blurring that was put on the new Utopia of the Seas: link

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

How different could it really be compared to Ascent and Beyond? 

Assuming the overall footprint isn't enlarged, they can make it as different as they want to make it through a repurposing of existing space aboard. 

Edited by canderson
typoz

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I am not suggesting that Xcel will have this, but here is one manifestation of the ship-shore line blurring that was put on the new Utopia of the Seas: link

Yes, I'm sure they were right that cruising public was really looking forward to eating dinner aboard in a Pullman car.  A vacation traveling in that fashion https://www.rockymountaineer.com is certainly an option if that's the experience one craves. 

One would think that a cruise line would see the benefit of putting their creative minds to the task of finding some new concepts that were related to the uniquely shipboard experience.  Have they really run out of ideas? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, thebutlerdidit said:

When I read “7 new experiences” it immediately translated to “7 new opportunities to charge our customers”. 

Or part of the cost could be rolled into the cruise fare. 😉

22 minutes ago, 39august said:

Jeremiah, can you give us some example of the "Ship Experiences"? I always appreciate your input. 

There are a bunch but not all are new. They have a rollout schedule...

Revamped experience: 

Inside Access Behind the Scenes ($$)

Inside Acces - Art, Architecture and Design Tours ($$)

Annex Experience Series (Ascent only) ($$)

April:

Galley to Table - Kitchen Tour and Specialty Tasting ($$)

Pizza Making ($$)

Sushi Rolling ($$)

Steak Making ($$)

Mixology 101 ($$)

Sketch and Sip ($$)

May:

Extend your Stay (revamped) ($$)

Inside Access Navigational and Engineering Ops tour ($$)

Premium Wine Tasting ($$)

World Wine Experience ($$)

Food and Wine Pairing Workshop ($$)

Martini Tasting with Flair ($$)

Macallan Tasting ($$)

June: 

Ceviche Making ($$)

Steak Tartare Making ($$)

Gravlax and Avocado Toast Making ($$)

Ride Wine Workshop ($$)

Jack Daniel's Tasting ($$)

Rabbit Hole Bourbon Tasting ($$)

Whistle Pig Tasting ($$)

July: 

Caribbean Edition Beverage Experience - Nassau ($$)  

Caribbean Edition Beverage Experience - Grand Cayman ($$) 

August:

Pickleball Series (Constellation and Beyond) ($$)

Destination Onboard - Japanese Tea Ceremony ($$)

TDB: 

VIP Helipad Experience ($$)

August 2024 Pilot (to be launched sometime in 2025)

Destination Onboard - assorted experiences that bring the destination onboard, cooking, dancing, lectures, hands on art, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Assuming the overall footprint isn't enlarged, they can make it as different as they want to make it through a repurposing of existing space aboard. 

I fully expect some of that..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

all wierd!    sounds like gamers going wild!

21 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

I am hoping that they add more included entertainment…especially a piano bar experience 

thats a nice idea... we have enjoyed the Art and Architecture tours on E Class. 

Food demos onboard  used to be free..we would not pay...but it would be nice to see some demontrations at the EDEN kitchen..E Class.

Guess they will try new things and hopefully bring back some popular  events

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

They could do a lot in all the wasted space in Eden.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

July: 

Caribbean Edition Beverage Experience - Nassau ($$)  

Caribbean Edition Beverage Experience - Grand Cayman ($$) 

August:

Pickleball Series (Constellation and Beyond) ($$)

Destination Onboard - Japanese Tea Ceremony ($$)

TDB: 

VIP Helipad Experience ($$)

August 2024 Pilot (to be launched sometime in 2025)

Destination Onboard - assorted experiences that bring the destination onboard, cooking, dancing, lectures, hands on art, etc. 

Several of these sound very interesting, and could even address one of the biggest complaints I have: The ship doesn't reflect the journey. It's been a long time, but HAL used to have entertainment from the area. When we went to St Petersburg on Royal (over a decade ago now!) they brought a Russian dance group onboard during the overnight. The shops onboard sold Russian and Baltic souvenirs. The onboard experience was a reflection of where we were. That may well have changed on both cruise lines, and obviously no one is cruising to St Petersburg today.

On the Alaska cruise we just finished, I "believe" they had Alaska Amber beer (which you can get anywhere). The lectures were about Alaskan wildlife and sea life, which was nice, but the food was the same food as any other cruise. The only good seafood I remember was onshore. They did have a destination Alaska shop with some interesting items, so that was a plus. The Destination Onboard could be a great way (and blur the lines between ship and shore in a good way) to tie the shipboard experience to the place. I for one would very much enjoy that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canderson said:

There are way more people that haven't cruised than have. X (and others ) are looking to get the folks that go to better resorts (JW Marriotts, Disney - not a Holiday Inn near the water) and have them partake of resort style vacations on a ship. All of X adverts are along this line.  

There is no shortage of people that wouldn't think of a cruise but they would spend a week at a resort spending the same amount of money. 

You are assuming that "the vast majority of Celebrity passengers" think like you as an experienced cruiser. I don't think that would be true of the relative novice to a cruise. They want  the most of the experiences they get on land but now on a floating hotel/resort that visits exotic places. 

"We want it like it used to be " ain't going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tfred said:

"We want it like it used to be " ain't going to happen. 

When you replied to my first post, you wouldn't have had a chance to read my later one that says "One would think that a cruise line would see the benefit of putting their creative minds to the task of finding some new concepts that were related to the uniquely shipboard experience.  Have they really run out of ideas?"

If, in the future, there's little product differentiation, these novice cruisers, who won't be novices forever, will have more reason to reevaluate the value proposition of sea vs. resort vacations. 

The only reason cruise lines can compete at all is because their payroll is kept well below shoreside wages for any 'developed' country.  The rest of their operational and logistics costs for operating a moving, floating resort will inevitably be higher.

• Like 1

We are already  booked on the Xcel for February 2026. What you do on a cruise is a personal choice. You can participate ( and pay) for as many activities as you like. That doesn’t change the ambiance of the ship. We cruise to relax, be served meals, have our room cleaned and enjoy all the music on board. We love edge class ships, have cruised them all and we really enjoy the infinite verandas. We are looking forward to more lovely surprises on the Xcel. We are just happy that we can cruise when many in the world will never have the opportunity.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, denby said:

We are already  booked on the Xcel for February 2026. What you do on a cruise is a personal choice. You can participate ( and pay) for as many activities as you like. That doesn’t change the ambiance of the ship. We cruise to relax, be served meals, have our room cleaned and enjoy all the music on board. We love edge class ships, have cruised them all and we really enjoy the infinite verandas. We are looking forward to more lovely surprises on the Xcel. We are just happy that we can cruise when many in the world will never have the opportunity.

Nicely said.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, conquesodor said:

Good grief you are a cynical bunch.

Apart, perhaps, from my own reference to the Icon of the Seas as "Six Flags over Mariana Trench", which was intended to be a humorous take on this ...

image.png.d554f41a0f4cfa5604fee285d58d7edd.png

... I haven't seen anything here that looked particularly cynical.

• Like 2