Formal nights on Disney cruises - Alternative complementary casual dining

Posted (edited)

I was wondering on Disney cruise lines if there is alternative dining for dinner (especially on formal nights) other than main dining room where you can wear the exact same casual wear as you were if you were dining at McDonald’s?  I prefer staying in shorts and comfortable clothes and I don’t want to pay extra for dinner.  It worked out perfect for me on the Royal Caribbean because the Windjammer buffet is always open every meal and their dress code is the same as Mcdonald’s every night.

Edited by NightGuardianAngel
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

I was wondering on Disney cruise lines if there is alternative dining for dinner (especially on formal nights) other than main dining room where you can wear the exact same casual wear as you were if you were dining at McDonald’s?  I prefer staying in shorts and comfortable clothes and I don’t want to pay extra for dinner.  It worked out perfect for me on the Royal Caribbean because the Windjammer buffet is always open every meal and their dress code is the same as Mcdonald’s every night.

Hello @NightGuardianAngel

Welcome to the Cruise Critic website and our message boards! 

Thank you for your first new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. Your inquiry was off topic there since it concerns a specific cruise line. Your new thread has been moved to the Disney Cruise Line forum where it will be on topicBrowse through the thread titles in this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you regarding Disney cruises.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will post replies to you.

Also, it is best to limit each inquiry message to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention the cruise line, ship, sail date or port in your inquiry message if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you.

Be sure to check if there is an existing Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your specific cruise line, ship and sail date. If not, feel free to start one! And don't worry about any responsibilities in starting a Roll Call thread. Roll Calls belong to everyone; there is no designated leader or owner. It does not matter who started the thread. Roll Calls are for Cruise Critic members on the same cruise. They get to know one another online before their cruise so there will be all kinds of discussion in the Roll Call thread for their cruise!

Please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

The specific Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other to save money. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that may have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted share requests that may interest you. 

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. As with other forums on our boards, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this information will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are soooo glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Unfortunately, Disney cruises do not have a buffet or alternate full-service venue open for dinner. You can get food at the quick-service places on the pool deck, though they may close earlier than you'd prefer to dine. You could also order room service, although that have a limited menu.

Do be aware that there isn't really a dress code for dinner. Even on "formal night," there will be some people who are not dressed up. As long as you're dressed in clothes other than a bathing suit, you won't be turned away. 

Paying extra wouldn't even work because the adult dining locations on Disney Cruises do have a dress code.

• Like 1

We were just on the Wish and there was no Formal Night. It's all very casual. The Buffet is closed during dinner time, but they do have a fast food type setup open in the evenings on the pool deck. Usually it was Pizza or Burgers/Fries. There was also a sports bar that served appetizers in the evening (but you have to pay) and room service was pretty quick when we ordered.

16 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

I prefer staying in shorts and comfortable clothes

I prefer to be comfortable too.

For me that would be a tux or dark suit with tie.

I wear shorts during the hottest part of our summer when the temperature is usually around 30C/86F and I want to avoid using the air-con.

If I did dress casually I would look like a tramp in photos beside my wife in her finery.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

what time would late seating be on the Wish?

2nd seating on the wish is 8:15 which is horribly late for kids. The food doesn't end up being served until 8:45-9:00, so if you end up with that, make sure everyone has a 1st dinner or large snack around 5 from the quick service on the pool deck. 

38 minutes ago, KatRangoon said:

2nd seating on the wish is 8:15 which is horribly late for kids. The food doesn't end up being served until 8:45-9:00, so if you end up with that, make sure everyone has a 1st dinner or large snack around 5 from the quick service on the pool deck. 

There used to be a service for kids where they would have their meal expedited, and then the kids club would pick them up. Is this not the case anymore?

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

There used to be a service for kids where they would have their meal expedited, and then the kids club would pick them up. Is this not the case anymore?

You can still have the meal expedited, but they club pickup didn't come back after covid. But you can walk them to the club.

49 minutes ago, KatRangoon said:

For us East coast people it's late, but if you came from the west coast and didn't time adjust yet, it is only 5:15 with food coming out around 5:45-6.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

For us East coast people it's late, but if you came from the west coast and didn't time adjust yet, it is only 5:15 with food coming out around 5:45-6.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but we ate breakfast and lunch as the designated times for 1923 and Marcelline's and with lunch over around 1pm, that would mean the kids had to wait 8 hours till dinner. It was too much for my 8 and 18 year old. Getting Pizza or Chicken Tenders/Fries around 5 or 6 from the pool deck was necessary. We mainly went to the dinners for the shows. On 1923 and Pirate meal (but no show) night, we let the 8 year old play in the kids club. The Marvel show was amazing and worth it. We were hugely disappointed in Arendelle and couldn't see or hear anything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KatRangoon said:

Tyvm. When we got our quote yesterday only 2nd seating was available but when we pulled the trigger and booked 1st seating was available again so we lucked out. We are older with no kids and eating that late would not be ideal. Have a lot of problems with acid reflux.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think Disney should have some flexibility for a dinner buffet... I was only on a four day but I've seen some transatlantic that are what like 10 days. I don't think anybody wants to go to animators Palace as adults three times. Maybe on the longer cruises they should switch it out a little bit!!! Just a thought. Have any of you been on the longer 10 Trans Atlantic's or Tahiti or wherever?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2024 at 5:13 PM, STLCARDS82 said:

I think Disney should have some flexibility for a dinner buffet... I was only on a four day but I've seen some transatlantic that are what like 10 days. I don't think anybody wants to go to animators Palace as adults three times. Maybe on the longer cruises they should switch it out a little bit!!! Just a thought. Have any of you been on the longer 10 Trans Atlantic's or Tahiti or wherever?

I did a 10 day Alaskan on the Wonder and as the menus are different every night and the atmosphere feels different even in the same restaurants. I loved the personalized service and never felt like it was too repetitive going to "the same" restaurant 3 or 4 times

Edited by TinkLoverSam
spelling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We have been on two Disney transatlantic cruises. Food was good and not too repetitive. We were able to have a casual sit down evening meal in the area that was a buffet during the day. That said, the “formal” attire is flexible. You are not required to be too dressed up. I would say that our evening in Palo was the most dressed up we needed to be. 

Our transatlantic cruises on Disney were both pre-Covid. We will take another Disney transatlantic cruise, but the itineraries are a bit repetitive and we like to visit new places. 

Disney has the best entertainment we have experienced on any line. 

I just reread OP’s note and will add that evenings on most cruise ships are more dressy than casual dining on land. 

Edited by Texter2

7 hours ago, Texter2 said:

We have been on two Disney transatlantic cruises. Food was good and not too repetitive. We were able to have a casual sit down evening meal in the area that was a buffet during the day. That said, the “formal” attire is flexible. You are not required to be too dressed up. I would say that our evening in Palo was the most dressed up we needed to be. 

Our transatlantic cruises on Disney were both pre-Covid. We will take another Disney transatlantic cruise, but the itineraries are a bit repetitive and we like to visit new places. 

Disney has the best entertainment we have experienced on any line. 

I just reread OP’s note and will add that evenings on most cruise ships are more dressy than casual dining on land. 

Dinner in the buffet area has not returned post Covid.

16 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Dinner in the buffet area has not returned post Covid.

I am sorry to hear that. It was a nice “go to” when you felt like a quick, informal meal. 

• Like 1