On Board Vista, July 23 - August 2, Turkish Ovation

lorimay

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Very disturbing to hear that about unruly kids, we have had very bad experiences on other lines with kids and were hoping that we have escaped that on O, but it doesnt seem like it. 

There's always Viking, unlike Oceania they actually don't allow kids. I think Virgin is adults only also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pachmast said:

Just wondering since it hasn't been mentioned, is the boat pretty stable¿ Thank you for your input.

The boat is amazingly stable. We are in the aft of the ship on deck 8 and it’s been very smooth- except when the thrusters come on when docking. Then the whole back end of the ship shakes like an earthquake. We were up in Polo one night as we were leaving port and the plates were dancing on the table. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Very disturbing to hear that about unruly kids, we have had very bad experiences on other lines with kids and were hoping that we have escaped that on O, but it doesnt seem like it. 

I have to believe that part of the read for so many family groups on this cruise is that it’s peak holiday season. Unless something drastically changes, I don’t think you will find as many after school starts again. 

• Like 3

On the first evening of this cruise, I was at reception and casually mentioned that I’m not used to hearing kids running in the hallways outside of the staterooms.  The staff member said to call reception if the kids are misbehaving.  There are 74 children on this cruise and there were 120 on the previous cruise.  We have been fortunate to not sit next to kids in the dining venues because I can hear them from afar at times.  Surely, it is because of summer vacation that the kids are onboard—and because their parents like the port intensive itinerary.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

to Lorimay: is the lemon spaghetti on the menu, or was it a special?

I sail 5 weeks from today, and LOVE lemon pasta!

Marian

I had it last night. It is a regular menu item in Toscano. 

• Like 1

This is the craziest cruise I have ever been on. We just had a code Oscar- man overboard as we left Limassol. We could see the flare in the water and the lifeboat being deployed. About 30 minutes later the captain just announced they rescued the guest alive. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lorimay said:

This is the craziest cruise I have ever been on. We just had a code Oscar- man overboard as we left Limassol. We could see the flare in the water and the lifeboat being deployed. About 30 minutes later the captain just announced they rescued the guest alive. 

Certainly not ‘dull’ that’s for sure!

35 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Definitely not a typical Oceania cruise. 

• Like 3

I have a friend who is also on this cruise.  They are heading back to Limassol to offboard the passenger.  He saw the lifeboat come back just below his cabin and said it did not look good. :-(

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

At about 6:45 p.m. the man overboard alert was issued, two tenders were immediately dispatched and returned to the Vista in a generous half-hour.  I was standing next to the window in Red Ginger as the tender was lifted and saw a young woman, covered in an aluminum-coloured blanket, moving.

The captain told us that a person was successfully rescued, and everyone in Red Ginger applauded.

Later we heard from several sources a consistent story, which may nonetheless be wrong, that she was drunk, argued with her mother and fell overboard.

The captain told us at 8 p.m. that we would have to go back to Limassol which was already pretty evident from the 180 degree turn of the ship, for the young woman to receive medical attention.  We did a half-hour of that return which would be a full 2 hours to get all the way back to Limassol and are now anchored.

Me speculating:  Either some sort of medivac boat will come to get her, or we are unable to dock in Limassol as it would be unreasonable to assume that full services are available to lead the ship and assist in docking, etc. at this hour on a Sunday night.  I suspect that our day tomorrow in Antalya may be a write-off.

I hope she gets the medical attention she needs in a timely fashion and am happy to have an at-sea day if that is what it takes.

Stopped wandering for the day,

Greg from the WildWanderers.

Added a bit later...we seem to be on the move again, away from Limassol, back toward Antalya, so either someone came to pick up the passenger in distress or the plan for where to drop her off has changed.

Edited by WildWanderers
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the detailed updates. We only heard from the captain's announcements but did not know how the incident occurred as we were discussing that it was not easy to fall overboard by accident given the height of those fences.

Anyway, let's hope the woman recovers soon!

Passenger in distress was taken from ship as per captain's announcement just now, around 9:30 p.m., we are on our way to Antalya, will arrive only a half-hour later tomorrow.  All is well.

Captain and cruise director Julie have done a great job of keeping us informed.

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lorimay said:

Wow....this sounds like a first for Oceania.  We've sailed on O many, many times and have never heard of anyone falling overboard.  

Regarding children onboard, I suspect that the larger numbers have to do with several factors -- timing (summer holiday), location, and possibly duration of your cruise.  We've found that the number of children onboard increases when the cruise is shorter.  And a cruise in the Mediterranean will have more non-Americans (and their kids) due to the ease of travel to/from the ship.  That said, we were on Vista in June/July, also experiencing the heat and more families on board but did not have anywhere close to 50 kids.  I think that's a bit much for an O cruise where there's nothing for the kids to do onboard.  Your cruise does indeed sound like it's outside the norms.  I hope that you are enjoying yourself.  We loved Vista, despite the flaws.  Thanks for sharing your insights.

Edited by vlthom

2 hours ago, lorimay said:

Enjoying reading your posts thank you.  Will add Code Oscar to our O terminology - we've experienced two Code Mikes (medical emergency) and on the same cruise.  The first Code Mike required a helicopter rescue which was a first for us to watch.  Recall one Code Mike was a crew member and the other a guest. This year, we had a guest on another O Excursion bus, collapse while walking on tour, ambulance was called and sadly we learnt that she passed away.  Our bus group were walking near her when this happened and was upsetting for everyone. Enjoy your cruise and hope the parents of children onboard 'parent'. 

• Like 2

Yesterday we took a Simply More excursion in Limassol, Cyprus. We stopped first at a prehistoric (from 12,000 BC) settlement where the homes have been recreated. It was interesting but like everything on this trip, very hot. It was a small bus load, about 20 people on the excursion. We continued on to Nicosia, where our guide explained to us about the war where the Turks claimed part of the island and where it is still split into the Turkish zone and the Cypriot zone. We visited a stunning Greek Orthodox church and then had free time. Because we had our passports and my husband is a history buff, we crossed the border into the Turkish zone. It was pretty much the same on the other side except the signs were in Turkish and not Greek, so we crossed back again. There is a UN no man's land in the middle that is a dead zone. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable, but between her very thick accent, the fact that she spoke in a monotone and the bad speaker system in the bus, it was very difficult to understand much of what she told us. I don't know if I could recommend the tour. 

We had breakfast yesterday in the Terrace. It has been very full and yet we always are able to find a place to sit. Service seems to be a little overwhelmed - dirty dishes sitting a little longer, water refills slower, etc. But still great service and I'm not trying to complain. 

Since we had lunch on our own in Nicosia, we only had snacks from the concierge lounge in the afternoon while we were doing a couple of loads of laundry. I have to say that I just love being able to do laundry on a cruise when I need it. We ran into our delightful room attendant and he scolded me for doing my own laundry, saying that we should use the complimentary laundry. I explained that takes 3 days to get back and I like to have it quickly. He told me I should enjoy the anticipation of getting back the included laundry. 

We were getting ready to go to dinner when we had the man overboard call. I spoketoday  to someone we had met on the ship earlier and she said she was in the culinary center when it happened and they could actually see the girl in the water. The story of what happened seems to be very consistent, that it was a family dispute and the girl became distressed. Today I heard that some men tried to stop her but she jumped anyway. We may never know and the details don't matter - the crew did an amazing job of quickly coming to her aid and we are thankful she lived through the ordeal.

Dinner was in the Terrace. My husband ordered a pizza from Waves and he liked, but didn't love it. He's a crispy thin crust pizza person and while I thought the crust was good, he wasn't convinced. I ate a little of this and a little of that, but quite a lot of the sushi. I am loving the sushi station in the evening. 

The show last night was the British comedian again. He is very, very good at ad libs and improv, but his show seems to fade at the end and he starts telling standard jokes. But he's the best cruise ship comedian I've ever seen.

I'm still very, very impressed with this ship. I will give my thoughts and comparisons with other recent cruises and cruise lines at the end. But if you asked me today if I would do another Oceania cruise on this ship, I would say "in a minute". Just not the Med in July.

One minor complaint. I don't know if I would book an aft cabin again on Vista, at least not on deck 8. I complained before about the vibration from the thrusters. Forget trying to sleep in the morning when they are docking. Everything in the stateroom shakes. But there is also a persistent thumping noise while the ship is underway. We only noticed it the last couple of days. It sounds like someone is playing music very loudly but all you hear is the bass vibration. It's loud enough that I could record it. It's definitely coming from the engines or a pump or something. I'm not a light sleeper, but if you are it might be bothersome.

I will report later on today in Antalya, Turkey - where at 10 am the temperature was 102 F.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/23/2024 at 10:23 PM, Vertygo said:

Thank you for your post. I’ll be on the Istanbul to Athens leg next week & am looking forward to your further updates to get me more excited than I already am.
I’m also on an extended balcony on 8-8120. Let me know how noise level is in your cabin please.

Hi! We are in 8120 on Vista next year. I’d love to hear your thoughts & photos would be wonderful! Have a great trip!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorimay said:

There is a UN no man's land in the middle that is a dead zone

When you went to Nicosia, did you get to see the No Mans Land in the centre of the city? There's a viewing platform at the end of at least one street. Spooky, looking out to the deserted street and buildings that havent been touched since the invasion in the 70s. . 

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

When you went to Nicosia, did you get to see the No Mans Land in the centre of the city? There's a viewing platform at the end of at least one street. Spooky, looking out to the deserted street and buildings that havent been touched since the invasion in the 70s. . 

Yes, it was a surreal experience. We drove along the no man’s land and could see all the empty buildings. Our guide told us they even built walls inside buildings to split them. She, of course, had a very pro-Greek Cypriot viewpoint and was very bitter about it. We were warned not to take pictures. 

When we crossed, first we went through the Greek Cypriot passport control. Then we walked about 20 yards through no man’s land. Then passport control for Turkey.  They did scan our passports pretty thoroughly. Then you do it in reverse. 

The checkpoint cuts a main street in half. We asked our guide if it was any different on the Turkish side. She said no but all the women would be covered up. It wasn’t true- everyone looked the same. 

Interesting. Although we've stayed in Cyprus on holiday several times since, it's years since we've been to Nicosia and, then, it wasnt possible to cross into the Turkish controlled part. A pity really, as my wife lived in the north for several years of her childhood so hasnt been able to go back to see if there's anything she remembers. Maybe one day. 

20 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

Has anyone on this cruise been successful in getting a Mimosa with breakfast? were you in the dining room or buffet?

We have not been on the Vista since April.....but I had a hard time getting Mimosas in Terrace Cafe....and the waiters seemed STUNNED the couple times that I tried to order one?  And then it took forever.....anyway, I was trying to get my money's worth from my Prestige Beverage Package!  I sort of chalked it up to the demographics of the group.....as most of us are on a ton of medications? lol....and probably lots have given up alcohol!  Not I!  I am going down with a champagne glass in my hand! lol....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

We have not been on the Vista since April.....but I had a hard time getting Mimosas in Terrace Cafe....and the waiters seemed STUNNED the couple times that I tried to order one?  And then it took forever.....anyway, I was trying to get my money's worth from my Prestige Beverage Package!  I sort of chalked it up to the demographics of the group.....as most of us are on a ton of medications? lol....and probably lots have given up alcohol!  Not I!  I am going down with a champagne glass in my hand! lol....

Why not order a glass of champagne and a glass of orange juice with a wedge of lime, then grab an empty glass make it yourself?  That's what we've done

• Like 2
  • Haha 2