Atlas Bar & Library Query

Silver Claire

Are the only drinks served in the Atlas Bar on Onward those at an additional cost? As in you can't get any regular all inclusive drinks there, just premium cocktails.
So effectively it's an off limits space for those of us who haven't bought a drinks package upgrade.

Secondly, in the absence of a library are there books available anywhere else onboard?

Just trying to get my head around the set up!

There are no included drinks available in the Atlas bar only the ultimate package range so no package you have to pay and there’s no Gordon’s etc. 

There are now books in the Living Room but it’s only a fraction of what the library had. As before there are travel type books in the Den. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The library has been moved to a section of the Living Room.  It is nice with good views and lots of books.  I've been served drinks in the Atlas Bar that are not the specialty drinks on the menu, but I always have the Ultimate Package so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Edited by Toronto Guy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It took a little warming up to, but Atlas is rather pleasant. I'm sure we had drinks up there that were the standard G&T/Beefeater martinis. The weird stuff they concoct, well, take it as a warning. They ruined some decent single malt with smoke of some kind, and charged me $20 for the chance to give me lung cancer. Other than being a tad too bright and a tad too loud, it actually is a pleasant place to hang out, and yes, you can still have a conversation. As mentioned, the Library has moved to the Port side of the living room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silver Claire said:

Are the only drinks served in the Atlas Bar on Onward those at an additional cost? As in you can't get any regular all inclusive drinks there, just premium cocktails.
So effectively it's an off limits space for those of us who haven't bought a drinks package upgrade.

Secondly, in the absence of a library are there books available anywhere else onboard?

Just trying to get my head around the set up!

I recall that the Atlas bar is NOT off limits if you don't have the package, you can still go to the Atlas bar and pay for each drink.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Just wondering what is in the Atlas Bar for those who don't drink alcohol ?

They can mix non alcoholic drinks but so can the Den and the Living Room so not worth a visit imho. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, uktog said:

They can mix non alcoholic drinks but so can the Den and the Living Room so not worth a visit imho. 

First time on Onward in September - just wondering if a visit is actually worth $40 ($20 each if that's right )  I do drink alcohol so do not want to miss a new "experience" but wondered if there was an alternative.

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

First time on Onward in September - just wondering if a visit is actually worth $40 ($20 each if that's right )  I do drink alcohol so do not want to miss a new "experience" but wondered if there was an alternative.

Drinks would be charged at $18.95 each for a special cocktail if you do not have a package. It’s not really an experience other than rather bright video wall. I far prefer if I want a quiet drink having it in Prime C where you can get the included drinks 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Mrs M

I agree entirely with UKtog, it's a bit gimmicky and doesn't float our boat at all, it's simply not worth a visit unless you desire a pre specialty restaurant drink close to the Prime C and Aqualina. We wont return, and generally do the specialties alternate evenings.

Edited by hamrag

It seems the offerings of The Atlas have changed over the time since it was set up. When we were on the Onward I asked DH to please go to a bar and get me a glass of wine and apparently he went into the Atlas and showed his card and was told that he wasn't able to get anything with that card, so he took it as he couldn't buy anything.

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

On your first night why not take a walk through the Atlas Bar and see what you think.

The experience is really the theatre of seeing your cocktail being made by the bartender, they put a lot of effort into it!

It is a fun place, both pre and post dinner and we really enjoy it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

It seems the offerings of The Atlas have changed over the time since it was set up. When we were on the Onward I asked DH to please go to a bar and get me a glass of wine and apparently he went into the Atlas and showed his card and was told that he wasn't able to get anything with that card, so he took it as he couldn't buy anything.

You could always pay for a drink in Atlas - nothing has changed.

On Onward the bartenders do not look at the cards but request your room number. This enables them to check if you have the ultimate package or if you will be charged for your drink.

Unfortunately the theatre doesn’t always deliver well prepared drinks as you get in good cocktail bars on land. Too often staff equate an overly heavy hand on the spirits bottle with a good cocktail. I know though that some guests think that is great 

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Unfortunately the theatre doesn’t always deliver well prepared drinks as you get in good cocktail bars on land. Too often staff equate an overly heavy hand on the spirits bottle with a good cocktail. I know though that some guests think that is great 

I think it depends on the bartender. Budi (who set up the Atlas Bar) and Mike are excellent, our drinks were always just right.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laganlady02 said:

I think it depends on the bartender. Budi (who set up the Atlas Bar) and Mike are excellent, our drinks were always just right.

Even the bartenders can be inconsistent- our experience was with those two. I am much more a fan of cocktails precisely measured rather than free pour guessing 

11 minutes ago, uktog said:

Even the bartenders can be inconsistent- our experience was with those two. I am much more a fan of cocktails precisely measured rather than free pour guessing 

I have watched cocktails being made in Prime C and the Den and quite often these are also free pour. But each to their own I really enjoy the Atlas bar whereas I would never wish to have dinner on the Patio which I know a lot of people like.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

I have watched cocktails being made in Prime C and the Den and quite often these are also free pour. But each to their own I really enjoy the Atlas bar whereas I would never wish to have dinner on the Patio which I know a lot of people like.

Agree but there they do not act all insulted if you ask for a measured drink. As you say each to their own (the Patio is a once a cruise for us on a casual night after a long day’s touring but not an absolute must by the way )

There seems to be two camps when it comes to the Atlas Bar - those who like it tend to be those who purchase an upgraded drink package; those who don't tend to be those who stick with the included drinks.  Besides drinks, there is also a food menu with some rather good items, but again, those who stick with the included drinks probably also aren't inclined to purchase that food at an additional cost.  Azamara's drink package upgrades are a steal compared to other lines (even considering the recent price increase), and if you have a loyalty discount even better.  If you have onboard credit available, even better again.  I don't "love" the Atlas Bar, but I do think it's an improvement over the very under-utilized library on the other ships.  Most Azamara loyalists will disagree and are still upset the old library is gone, and I understand that too.  My issue with the room is that it is a little too bright for my liking and I think the video wall is rather dumb.  I wish they had some piped in music instead or a live performer.   Similarly, I think the piano bar is also way too bright (although I'm told the Pursuit actually has dimmed lighting in that room that has not yet been installed on the other ships).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Belfastman said:

On a related topic. There was a post recently, people like to eat at the Patio and then go to the DR for snacks or desert. I thought the menu doesn't change and is very limited there.

4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

On a related topic. There was a post recently, people like to eat at the Patio and then go to the DR for snacks or desert. I thought the menu doesn't change and is very limited there.

They do a special every night. Many people who go align their visit to their favourite special. There is a board advertising the special every day by the Deck 9 lifts and if the chef has fixed on the special before the Insider goes to print you will find the details there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

It’s actually not that limited for main courses and the daily specials are often very good. Starters and desserts are limited - starters are either soup or a make your own salad - but as at lunchtime you can go into Windows to fetch a starter and/or dessert.

• Like 8

On 7/24/2024 at 2:52 AM, uktog said:

Just wondering what is in the Atlas Bar for those who don't drink alcohol ?

There is a small menu for chargeable "tapas", bits of goodies to eat, and not the same stuff that gets served in the living room. I will say that the Filipino bar tender was extremely friendly, and made one hell of a good Tanqueray 10 martini, once he put down his blow torch and the smoke generator. I hope they don't pull the libraries out of the other 3 ships, but seriously, Atlas is a very pleasant place to hang out. Much smaller and quieter than the Den bar.  And anything you can order from the other bars is available in Atlas, soft drinks included.

• Like 6