Dressed casual on formal nights

Posted (edited)

On Cunard cruise lines, if a passenger is outside his or her cabin in public dressed causally (in shorts or flouting the formal night dress code) on formal nights, will that passenger be automatically kicked off the ship at the next port of call?

Edited by NightGuardianAngel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

What kind of would do you think we cruise in? - At worst there will be a slight muttering and maybe even some light tutting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

LOL, course not, but if you want to stay casual on a Formal evening (after 6pm) you can eat in the buffet restaurants Lido/Kings Ct/Artisan,
but you cannot enter any bars/lounges or the theatre unless you are in Formal wear/or attired correctly. 

• Thanks 1

Actually, there is The Plank ready for action in such circumstances.

The culprit in shorts will be blindfolded and ‘encouraged' along The Plank at the point of a sharpened foil, to exit the ship and if the garment  truly offends, usually at sea!

If this is a real question, see #3.

• Like 5
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

On Cunard cruise lines, if a passenger is outside his or her cabin in public dressed causally (in shorts or flouting the formal night dress code) on formal nights, will that passenger be automatically kicked off the ship at the next port of call?

Is this really a serious question.  

• Thanks 3

In reality you are very unlikely to be denied access to the theatre.  

Even the Queens Room which is the most formal venue on the ships is quite relaxed.  Almost none of the men wear a jacket on the dance floor, and there are quite a few men with open necked formal shirts dancing.

Two years ago, on QE, I did see a couple come in to the Commodore, who were very casually dressed, It was a Formal (denims and tee shirts). They were refused service and left.

I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To quote Cunard's dress code:

"Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theatre on a special occasion." (https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack)

So shorts would not comply with the smart attire dress core - whether they would be accepted is another question. Also in the UK McDonalds would not be considered as a "stylish restaurant"

3 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

will that passenger be automatically kicked off the ship at the next port of call?

No - but there are probably some passengers who would want that to happen😇

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Actually, there is The Plank ready for action in such circumstances.

The culprit in shorts will be blindfolded and ‘encouraged' along The Plank at the point of a sharpened foil, to exit the ship and if the garment  truly offends, usually at sea!

If this is a real question, see #3.

A sharpened foil, or a VERY starched and folded napkin.

• Haha 8

There are some oddities to the venue & dress code requirements. On QM2 the G32 night club is not one of the formal attire on 'gala' night venues - but its only access is via the Queen's Room where the dress code is observed, and where any theme of the evening [e.g. Masquerade ] is observed.

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Is this really a serious question.  

But I think we know what you would do!

But rather than the crew sanding down the gangplank, it's actually OK to be in mufti outside your stateroom on gala night, it's just the main venue areas where the dress code is expected. I've also had experience of the Commodore Club being particular about this (and of an Optional Gala night at that).

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

What about persistent smoking on the balcony, after a warning? Does that lead to ejection, given what a danger it is?

A few years ago on QV I was aware of a persistent smoker on a stateroom near me, it was an Iberia sailing. I wasn't overly bothered by it, but the people next to my stateroom were furious about this smoker and got the hotel manager on to the case. The air conditioning seemed to make matters worse. During the stop at Lisbon the smoker and companion were disembarked, I saw it happen, My steward, whilst using careful language, implied they had been kicked off for both smoking and discarding the butts into the sea but also for not being prepared to agree to some sort of letter from the hotel manager instructing them to stop. They were not much missed.

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

A few years ago on QV I was aware of a persistent smoker on a stateroom near me, it was an Iberia sailing. I wasn't overly bothered by it, but the people next to my stateroom were furious about this smoker and got the hotel manager on to the case. The air conditioning seemed to make matters worse. During the stop at Lisbon the smoker and companion were disembarked, I saw it happen, My steward, whilst using careful language, implied they had been kicked off for both smoking and discarding the butts into the sea but also for not being prepared to agree to some sort of letter from the hotel manager instructing them to stop. They were not much missed.

Good.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

I do understand that this is written with tongue in cheek. However on last week’s QM2 voyage to Norway on the masquerade night there was a man in the Britannia dining room wearing a zip up fleece with quite a funky llama pattern on it! He must have been able to enter Inca-ognito (ba-dum tish).

On the other hand, in the Britannia on the final smart attire night a man wore the most colourful suit with a fun pattern on it. I overheard him say that he hoped to put a smile on the face of the passengers disembarking the next day-and it worked on me! 

On our June 2024 transatlantic a fellow passenger reported that a crew member in the Commodore Room politely reminded him he was wearing shorts there after 6 PM.  So there can be some attempts at enforcement of the dress code when a crew member takes on the cop role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Re smoking on balcony: on our most recent voyage, a woman in the cabin next to ours was smoking on the balcony from the first hour. We called the desk, and it never happened again.

And was the woman seen again?

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

As this is your second question on CC, and your other question was on Disney Cruise lines, asking a similar question, it appears that you might be trying to stir up chaos. 
Not very original. 
As a result, you will definitely asked to pack up your possessions under the eye of your steward and quietly disembarked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I charitably assumed OP was trying to find a cruise line where they can avoid having to dress formally while still being able to take part in all evening activities.

If that is what they're looking for, I don't think Cunard would be for them. Luckily, there are many other cruise lines which would suit.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bananavan said:

As this is your second question on CC, and your other question was on Disney Cruise lines, asking a similar question, it appears that you might be trying to stir up chaos. 
Not very original. 
As a result, you will definitely asked to pack up your possessions under the eye of your steward and quietly disembarked. 

You are incorrect.  I am not trying to stir up anything.  I have autism and this behavior is caused by my disability.  Cunard and Disney are too different cruise lines and I heard of passengers getting kicked off at port of calls for the most innocent honest mistakes or extremely minor infractions that is not even a violation of any government laws (it takes very very little to get kicked out and banned).  I don’t have the mind of a neurotypical.  My parents never raised me to understand that.  Plus, asking a similar question on a different cruise line (all cruise lines have different policies and rules and different consequences) forum is NOT against the terms of use on this site.  I only follow written rules in black and white.  I may just use the ChatGPT bot to word my questions in the future and just copy and paste.

Edited by NightGuardianAngel
  • Like 2

I'm sorry that some posters haven't been very welcoming. 

You definitely won't be removed from the ship because of your clothes but you may be asked to leave some formal venues if you don't comply with the stated evening dress code after 6pm.

Cunard is a more formal experience than any other cruise line.

I hope that helps.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1