Is the Drink Package Priced Higher on Shorter Cruises?

Hi Everyone!

I'm coming back to RCI after a 15 year hiatus, so it's like a "new" cruise line to me. I've been mostly sailing on Carnival over the years, and their Cheers beverage package costs more per day on shorter cruises that it costs per day on longer ones. Does RCI's work the same way, or is the price the same per day no matter if the cruise is 4 days or 14 days?

30 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Does RCI's work the same way, or is the price the same per day no matter if the cruise is 4 days or 14 days?

RCI uses dynamic pricing so the drink package cost can vary from one ship to another,  and by itineraries too but since they are now putting seemingly all the new ships in the 3/4 night market the prices can be highest on Icon, Utopia, Wonder, and the soon to be Star Of The Seas.  Some examples from my own bookings:  Onboard daily prices in the Cruise Planner today for Utopia 3 and 4 night and Icon 7 night is $110.  For Explorer 10 night it's $90.  For Brilliance 7 night it's $100.  Freedom 7 night is $105.  Add 18% gratuity to each.

• Thanks 1

Had the same question. I am frequent RCL cruiser and always get the drink package. This was the first time in all my sailings where I really had to run the math on whether it is worth it, or if I should roll the dice and pay as you go. I pulled the trigger because we are not planning to get off the ship in Nassau, have a sea day, and it works at Perfect Day. Thus, I will at least break even over the course of the trip. But, dang, the 850 (all in incl tax and gratuities) for 4 nights on Utopia.

I imagine they know 1) you'll probably pay it since we paid the increased fare for a newer ship and 2) most days people will be drinking on them (sail day, perfect day, and sea day).

I guess I need to punish them 🙂 

People that have sailed in last few months on RCL, have you noticed any increase in the drink costs compared to a year or two ago? I just got off Virgin Voyages and noticed a 2-3 dollar per drink increase over a year ago. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, jcarter4551 said:

People that have sailed in last few months on RCL, have you noticed any increase in the drink costs compared to a year or two ago?

No, still the same prices where the drink package covers just about all drinks below $14 though the same drink could vary across the fleet. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jcarter4551 said:

Had the same question. I am frequent RCL cruiser and always get the drink package. This was the first time in all my sailings where I really had to run the math on whether it is worth it, or if I should roll the dice and pay as you go. I pulled the trigger because we are not planning to get off the ship in Nassau, have a sea day, and it works at Perfect Day. Thus, I will at least break even over the course of the trip. But, dang, the 850 (all in incl tax and gratuities) for 4 nights on Utopia.

I imagine they know 1) you'll probably pay it since we paid the increased fare for a newer ship and 2) most days people will be drinking on them (sail day, perfect day, and sea day).

I guess I need to punish them 🙂 

People that have sailed in last few months on RCL, have you noticed any increase in the drink costs compared to a year or two ago? I just got off Virgin Voyages and noticed a 2-3 dollar per drink increase over a year ago. 

I think the key word was you paid it for a NEWER ship. I do think prices are higher on newer ships. I've had some say mariner with lower prices. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for the replies! I appreciate it very much! I know drink packages are outrageously priced, but we've come to enjoy getting them just because it adds a lot of "no worries, more fun" to our cruise. Excited to try RCI again, so you'll probably see me around these boards. Thank you again!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think the key word was you paid it for a NEWER ship. I do think prices are higher on newer ships. I've had some say mariner with lower prices. 

You are absolutely correct.  New and recently launched ships are always priced higher with their fares and likely with the planner packages.  And the new shorter mega ship itineraries with Perfect Day also seem to carry a premium.