Hand cut fries are (coming) back

I wish they'd bring back the fresh, olive-oily mozzarella balls they would slice to order for the margherita pizzas.  Pizza is still very good, but used to be better before they switched to shredded mozzarella.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Good news...I guess the haters can read this and complain about "more cuts"

and there will be those who say we want more and more and more. Baby steps. Like with the debt.

Maybe the bacation will finally be over soon as well...the best thing Carnival can do is reverse all of their food cutbacks immediately. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Good news...I guess the haters can read this and complain about "more cuts"

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

and there will be those who say we want more and more and more. Baby steps. Like with the debt.

"Hand cut fries are (coming) back"    sigh....

• Haha 3

Much ado about nothing. Supply chains constantly "quietly" change. I do prefer the fresh-cut. However, it is seriously not the end of the world if they aren't. 

Bonus answer: I'm better off if fries are less delicious, so I eat less of them. They are one of the unhealthiest things you can eat. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Much ado about nothing. Supply chains constantly "quietly" change. I do prefer the fresh-cut. However, it is seriously not the end of the world if they aren't. 

Bonus answer: I'm better off if fries are less delicious, so I eat less of them. They are one of the unhealthiest things you can eat. 

I know, right?  I find by dipping my fries in mayo it cancels out the fried part.  

• Haha 7

Never having been on Carnival, to try these fries, are these merely "fresh cut", or are they truly "hand cut", meaning that someone places each potato into a cutter and pushes it through.  I frankly doubt if Carnival ever truly had "hand cut" fries, as I've seen the machines that do this on the ships, where you dump an entire trash can of potatoes into it and it cuts fries in about 30 seconds.

• Like 5

On 7/28/2024 at 9:37 AM, IntrepidFromDC said:

I wish they'd bring back the fresh, olive-oily mozzarella balls they would slice to order for the margherita pizzas.  Pizza is still very good, but used to be better before they switched to shredded mozzarella.

Does anyone remember the goat cheese pizza?  It was heavenly and in high demand!  It has been gone for quite a while now.  I miss it....

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Never having been on Carnival, to try these fries, are these merely "fresh cut", or are they truly "hand cut", meaning that someone places each potato into a cutter and pushes it through.  I frankly doubt if Carnival ever truly had "hand cut" fries, as I've seen the machines that do this on the ships, where you dump an entire trash can of potatoes into it and it cuts fries in about 30 seconds.

I would guess "fresh cut", much less labor involved. And it's probably impossible for anyone to tell the difference between a true "hand cut" fry and a "fresh cut" fry done by the machine that you describe.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:33 PM, BlerkOne said:

Personally I'm fine with either one 

I really didn't notice the difference when I cruised last year on the Horizon.  Maybe if I were more of a foodie...  🙂 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I really didn't notice the difference when I cruised last year on the Horizon.  Maybe if I were more of a foodie...  🙂 

I do have to applaud the palates of those who can not only remember exactly how something tasted from the cruise last year but can tell the difference in the way the food tastes this year. Heck, even if they are cruising every month I still applaud them for being able to make that distinction. All I know is that I enjoyed the food on the previous cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I do have to applaud the palates of those who can not only remember exactly how something tasted from the cruise last year but can tell the difference in the way the food tastes this year. Heck, even if they are cruising every month I still applaud them for being able to make that distinction. All I know is that I enjoyed the food on the previous cruise.

I think its more of it leaves a lasting impression on you and when they changed, it was very noticeable for people who cruise pretty often.  I noticed a difference in cruises 4 months apart.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I actually like the new ones better. Oh well....

You can easily get them any time you want, just go to the frozen potato aisle and buy a bag of Ore Ida or generic brand "fast food" fries.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I actually like the new ones better. Oh well....

15 hours ago, Pellaz said:

There really isn't much difference between any of them in taste. Perhaps a blindfolded taste test is in order for those who think otherwise.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2024 at 10:32 AM, chengkp75 said:

what's the difference?  both are being cut fresh...  does it change the taste if a machine is the one pushing the potato through the cutter?

I'm genuinely curious!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

what's the difference?  both are being cut fresh...  does it change the taste if a machine is the one pushing the potato through the cutter?

I'm genuinely curious!

No, there's no difference, that's why I asked, if people are really concerned that the fries were not "hand cut" anymore, when they likely weren't to start with.  Lots of people think the the marketing titles that are used suddenly make things taste better.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No, there's no difference, that's why I asked, if people are really concerned that the fries were not "hand cut" anymore, when they likely weren't to start with.  Lots of people think the the marketing titles that are used suddenly make things taste better.

I think they went to frozen fries and that's why it's a big deal that they're going to back to the "fresh cut" variety

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

I think they went to frozen fries and that's why it's a big deal that they're going to back to the "fresh cut" variety

You can freeze fresh cut fries.

• Like 1