Hand cut fries are (coming) back

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

You can easily get them any time you want, just go to the frozen potato aisle and buy a bag of Ore Ida or generic brand "fast food" fries.

Nope, I've eaten those and the ones they had at Guy's were miles above them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago, I worked in a restaurant kitchen. One of my jobs was to push the whole potatoes thru the cutter. I agree that whether it's a person or a machine, fresh cut fries from whole potatoes cooked properly are a world apart from the frozen, or fast-food junk.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Nope, I've eaten those and the ones they had at Guy's were miles above them.

The current Guy's fries, the frozen ones? The only difference between them and Ore Ida is the seasoning - and perhaps the oil used to fry them.

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

The current Guy's fries, the frozen ones? The only difference between them and Ore Ida is the seasoning - and perhaps the oil used to fry them.

Ore Ida must have really stepped up their game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, mz-s said:

To you, sure, but as I said, I've had both and Guy's are better (and it may be the seasoning and oil, but I have neither of those in my kitchen. It could also be that I don't have to cook them, so that makes them taste better.) I've also had generic frozen fries and Ore Ida and there is a difference between them, as well, so the supplier does make a difference.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

I didn't have to cook the ones from Guy's.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I didn't have to cook the ones from Guy's.

Dropping a bag of store bought fries into oil and then tossing them in taco seasoning isn't some big production.

Edited by mz-s

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Dropping a bag of store bought fries into oil and then tossing them in taco seasoning isn't some big production.

I love to cook.  But I would disagree with you.  The amount of times I've fried fries in my own home is minimal.  Closer to zero.  I get my fries on the outside! 

If simply not having to cook or clean up is the bar by which Carnival food passes, then why not stay home and eat at your mom's house or the local Hardee's?

45 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If simply not having to cook or clean up is the bar by which Carnival food passes, then why not stay home and eat at your mom's house or the local Hardee's?

Obviously you have not had my mother's cooking.  <grin>  I happen to agree with the food tasting better when I dont have to plan, cook, and clean up from it!!! The reason I cruise now is because I realize now that I was never on vacation before!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Hardee's doesn't offer me a free room to go with the fries 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TN Roz said:

Whether fresh cut or frozen, Guys is still the best burger and fries at sea!

I use to agree until I ordered one of the room service burgers a few cruises ago. They are huge and wonderful. (But not free). Not sure if the accompanying fries are hand cut or not but they are tasty. So far the  room service burgers were the best on the Magic, and second best on Mardi Gras. Next time I will have to get a Guys burger to do a more in-depth analysis and comparison!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I guess it comes down to what you're seeking on your vacation, relaxation or 5 star cuisine.

Since I'm not really picky about food, I'll take the relaxation.

If Carnival served exclusively Hardee's, I'd still go, and eat the Hardee's.  That's not why I'm there.  You might be different.  We're all different.  

TBH, the only food I've ever considered to be "inedible" was my stepmother's spaghetti sauce.  I could never figure out how someone could take such good ingredients and make them taste so bad.  But she did.  

11 hours ago, mz-s said:

We're talking one particular sort of food in this thread, but Carnival's food overall has always passed muster for us. There are some dishes along the way that we may not have liked as others but for what we paid to be on the cruise the food has always been good. (Besides, Hardee's doesn't visit a different port each day.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

True... but the Hardee's fries are like 10,000x better, even if they aren't that good.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I guess it comes down to what you're seeking on your vacation, relaxation or 5 star cuisine.

Since I'm not really picky about food, I'll take the relaxation.

If Carnival served exclusively Hardee's, I'd still go, and eat the Hardee's.  That's not why I'm there.  You might be different.  We're all different.  

TBH, the only food I've ever considered to be "inedible" was my stepmother's spaghetti sauce.  I could never figure out how someone could take such good ingredients and make them taste so bad.  But she did.  

I'm not very picky - and I'll definitely eat Hardee's - but not every meal for a week.

Generally - Carnival food is good enough. There are some things I think are very good considering the cost.

There are a few things though that are unbelievably, worse then high school cafeteria food, quality.  So I just avoid those and eat everything else.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TN Roz said:

Not knocking Guys at all, but the Voyage Burger at Seaday Brunch is pretty fantastic!

Not fries related, but I wish they had the little tortilla chips that had been fried or grilled or whatever it was.  That was before Guys and Blue Iguana.  There was a grill at the back of the ships that had hotdogs, burgers, chicken tenders, and these amazing mini tortilla triangles.  It was not a chip like one buys in the stores.  Just really good......  things change.  It's all good at the end of the day.  When on a ship, we just smile and cruise on.  

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 1:53 AM, sparks1093 said:

We're talking one particular sort of food in this thread, but Carnival's food overall has always passed muster for us. There are some dishes along the way that we may not have liked as others but for what we paid to be on the cruise the food has always been good. (Besides, Hardee's doesn't visit a different port each day.)

We have not done many Carnival cruises.  We just got off a short one in Long Beach. We thought the food overall was pretty good and enjoyed our meals (a little too much, haha).  

The Guy's burgers are good.  I don't know what kind of fries they served, but they were also pretty good.  

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 4:12 PM, TN Roz said:

If comparing lido deck grilled burgers, they are far out ahead of other cruise lines we have used.  

• Like 1

Looked like the original fries on Jubilee today.  Count me in on the side that liked the frozen ones the last couple of years.  Everyone seems to have their favorite which is great.  Be kind of boring if every place served the same fries. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

If comparing lido deck grilled burgers, they are far out ahead of other cruise lines we have used.  

I'm remembering the terrible burgers they had on Independence OTS a few years ago -- tasted like the worst school-food, mostly-filler burgers imaginable -- and couldn't agree more.  

• Like 1

On 8/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, BlerkOne said:

No they don’t 

Never had Hardee’s but if Carnival could produce a product like Five Guys fresh cut fries 

that would be Golden for us

• Like 1