Caribbean v Sky v Regal Princess differences

BeebMarc

We’ve been on Sky twice (22/23) and Regal once (23) with Caribbean coming in a few weeks, so I’m after some general “compare and contrast” advice from others who have done similar.

I know Caribbean is an older ship but how noticeable is it? We went on MSC Euribia a few weeks into her service and the newness was very apparent.

One big disappointment of Regal was that almost all of the pools were salty, whereas Sky’s weren’t - or if they were, the salination levels were very low which was much more enjoyable.

I've not been able to find out if the pools are salt water or not?

We were surprised by how small the main pool was on Regal compared to Sky - where would you put Caribbean’s pools?

Posted (edited)

Princess pools are fresh water. I can't understand why you feel the Regal was salt water. The pools are clorinated. Caribbean Princess has 4 pools, a number of hot tubs plus a family pool, hot tub, splash area on deck17. All are fresh water. The Terrace Pool, deck 14 aft as well as what is called the Lap Pool on deck 16 forward are for adults. The main Neptune's Reef and Calypso Reef pools are on deck 15 mid ship. They are normal sized. Check out the deck plans. 

The Caribbean Princess, a Grand Class ship, has a very different design than the Sky and Regal, Royal Class ships. It has a 360 degree promenade, nicer lounges including Crooners, Explorer's Lounge, Wheelhouse Bar where there should be the opportunity for some ballroom dancing.

Caribbean does not have Alfredo's. The buffet area is smaller and not as extensive as the Sky/Regal and other Royal Class ships.

You did not mention where you are sailing as well as the time of year. The itinerary and timing make a lot of difference on how busy the pool areas may be as well as how many youth may be on board. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

I seem to recall that the stairs by the panoramic lifts don't go up to the Lido deck on Royal Class ships.  Agree that buffet is the biggest difference in the classes (ignoring extra decks on Royal Class). 

Caribbean Sanctuary actually had some shady loungers.  When they went to Royal Class they started adding more cabanas and had less shade.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The open adult only Retreat Pool area on Regal is one of the big things for me.  Not enclosed by cabins, as it is on the newer ships.

The pools should be fresh-water...  do not know if there was some circumstance where it was thought to be salt-water???

I just can't go for a ship as old and having age related issues, as the Caribbean.

Alfredo's and Vines, and Crooner's are favorites that are all on Regal.

No Crooner's on Sky, right....  But Sky has The Catch.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Thanks 1

We have been on all 3 ships.  The Sky of course is a much newer ship than the other two; we've been on it 3 times. Both the Caribbean and the Regal we've been on twice now.  I would not hesitate to book *any* of these ships again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BeebMarc said:

@skynight ta for the reply. We’re on Caribbean to Greenland/Iceland mid-August. Was convinced the pools were salty on Regal but if that’s not the case, then great!

You probably will want very little pool time on this northern itinerary. The pool water will be heated some, but will probably still be coldish. This itinerary is not like a Caribbean cruise. In Greenland waters there will be some nice views. Some of the good viewing locations are:

-All the way forward on the deck 7 promenade, up the stairs to the bow of the ship. No seats there, standing only.

-All the way forward on deck 16 to the forward area. The roof of the bridge may be open on scenic viewing days.

-Check out Skywalker's, all the way aft and all the way up. Great views. 

I've sailed on all three. I prefer the Sky due to the deluxe oceanview cabins on the Sun deck. Love those cabins. Caribbean is showing her age in many ways. Regal is pretty much identical to the Royal 

Been on all three and would not hesitate to book any of them again.  That being said, Sky is our favourite.  Found the mini-suite on Caribbean had a very "old world elegant" feel.

13 hours ago, Senga said:

Been on all three and would not hesitate to book any of them again.  That being said, Sky is our favourite.  Found the mini-suite on Caribbean had a very "old world elegant" feel.

Different strokes for different folks. We have also been on all three several times. However, the Sky is our least favorite of those 3. The layout of deck 7 is weird IMHO. Only one side open to pass through at the center, the other blocked by the catch. Then the Princess live has no separation from the main traffic area so people passing through during events. Also, no Skywalkers for our quiet place. We are booked on her again however because we book cruises based more on itinerary. So not a deal breaker.

Posted (edited)

We prefer the Royal Class ships but just did a 14 night Norway/Iceland cruise on the Carribean Princess.  She's certainly showing her age but is still in decent enough shape.  If you're thinking of getting a mini suite you might consider a Window Suite instead.  For a few bucks more you get all the full suite perks and more drawers and closets than you could ever fill.  Only downside is no balcony.  Since we were in Norway and Iceland where it was always windy and the temps never reached 60 it was perfect.

ETA:  I just noticed you're from London.  So it never reached 15 degrees.  😉

Edited by Kenswing