Help needed on best transport from Paris to Southampton for a princess cruise

• June 12, 2017

We will be on. Princess British Isles cruise sailing out of Southhampton on April 28, 2025/on Regal Princess. We want to spend some days in Paris before the cruise, so I was wondering what is the best, fastest , most reliable way to get from Paris to a Southhampton. ?  I think I’ve seen an airline called Eastern Airways provides a direct flight from Paris to Southhampton airport, but I’d like to hear from others who have done either that or train.  And since the cruise is on a Monday , and we do choose to fly , who thinks it would be ok for a Saturday flight or a Sunday flight. Since there is only one flight I am almost a little worried that if a Sunday flight to Southhampton would somehow get cancelled then I would very little time to rebook with a train.  We have been to London, so don’t need to go there unless the Eurostar only goes directly from Paris to London without any stops such as Southhampton. Or is there another train  from Paris to Southhampton.  All answers will,be greatly appreciated.  

also any hotels recommended in both Paris and Southhampton, UK. 

42 minutes ago, Moxiefurball said:

... what is the best, fastest , most reliable way to get from Paris to Southampton

If you search for stuff, you'll get better results with the correct spelling of Southampton.

Your question reminds me of the apocryphal builder's advice: you can have it good, fast or cheap, or any combination of two. You have to work out what your priorities are, and make some choices depending on your appetite for risk.

The reality is that Eastern Airways operates one flight a day. It has filed schedules up to the end of northern winter 2024/25 (Saturday 29 March), but not beyond that. I don't know whether it's committed to operating the route beyond then. So you plan on the basis of this option, you may find yourself having to re-plan later if it turns out that these flights aren't going to continue.

Eurostar's trains from Paris to London only go to London St Pancras International. There are usually a dozen trains or more on Sundays. And although it also hasn't filed schedules beyond mid-February, there's rather more certainty that it will do.

There are also scheduled to be a dozen flights from Paris Charles de Gaulle to London Heathrow (evenly split between Air France and British Airways) on the Sunday that's the day before your cruise, and nine more to other London airports on easyJet.

But in the case of either a train or a flight, you'll then have to get yourself from London to Southampton, and you'll have to work out when and how.

I know you have said you want to visit Paris before Southampton.  But truth is that there is no easy route between the two.  The Eastern flight is the least hassle, but (as pointed out above), no guarantee the route will keep operating.  Any other option involves hassle and transfers, and will take longer than you might expect. 

1. Train to London. Train London to Southampton.

2. Maybe you should consider Paris as a post cruise activity. Your last port on the April 28th cruise is Le Harve, 3 hours from Paris. You could book a Paris on your own tour through Princess, really just for the transportation, remain there for as many days as you like then fly home from Paris. To accomplish this you must receive the written itinerary deviation from Princess that authorizes you to disembark in Le Harve. Be aware that the ship could miss the port, although I don't believe this is common.

@skynightthat is an interesting thought about getting off in Le Havre and using Paris on your own as transport . I will consider this , but as you say there is a risk the port could be cancelled ., . I usually prefer pre cruise land activities because we are usually zapped after the cruise . But again I thank you for this creative approach and might just reconsider and do Paris at my leisure post cruise . 

I will also wait to see if the Eastern Airway's flight from Paris to Southampton continues into April 2025 and if so we could fly to Paris , pre cruise , then fly on eastern airways to Southampton . 

and then the train to London is always an option . An overnight in London , catch a few things we missed in London last summer and even get a transport to Southampton .