Two Cococay Questions

8 hours ago, perfect match said:

Here’s today’s prices for Hideaway for our January 27 Utopia cruise. this is a screenshot from my cruise planner. I’d say you should probably keep looking for price drops! 

I also have < $1000 for both types for my Utopias next summer as well (not that I’m actually shopping).

• Haha 1

I suggest choosing a beach, then getting off the ship early to head for your chosen spot.  The best seats on all the beaches will fill up pretty fast -- though another plan would be to wait until after lunch, when a lot of people have had "enough beach" and head back to the ship.  If you wait until 9:00 you'll get a chair, but it'll be in the middle /not a nice front-row spot with an ocean view.  

We like Chill Island, though I'm disappointed that the number of free seats has decreased, and a large number of the for-cost beach beds are unoccupied.  Near Chill island is a shady palm forest with hammocks, which my husband loves.  It's negative is that, being closest to the dock, it can be the most crowded.  

South Beach is also nice and it has more games and the floating bar -- but it's farther away, and the water isn't as nice.  If you want more privacy, go to South Beach and go to the far right.  

Both Chill Island and South Beach are near a large lunch place -- either Chill Grill or Skipper Grill.  You can get chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks and funnel cakes at the Snack Shack -- several of those are scattered throughout the island, but South Beach has one closer.  

I hear Breezy Bay is good, but I haven't tried it myself.  

I can't say much about the pool.  I've only walked through that area, as it's too loud for me.  I prefer a quiet spot where I can read.  

I would not pay for a seat, and I'm rather confused at people's willingness to pay $1000+, especially considering you could end up with a rainy day.  

• Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:10 PM, mrsmagoo1 said:

Sailing on Symphony. This will be my first time back to Cococay since 1999, so much has changed! Trying to figure out two things as I plan our day. We're docking at 8:00am. Utopia is docking at 7:00am. Both ships staying til 5pm.

1 - we plan on getting off the ship at 9am and staying on the island til around 3pm. We want to enjoy the beach for one chunk of the day and the pool for other time. In terms of crowds and getting a seat, where do you recommend we start?

2 - any beach in particular have the clearest water and softest sand? This is our top priority. Or any beach you'd avoid only for this reason?

Thanks for your help!

You will be able to get a seat no matter what time you get off the ship.  If a front row seat is important, then head to the beach first.  We just want someplace to put our stuff as we do not lay in the sun, so front row seats for us aren't important.  We also aren't watching kids playing, so location isn't important.

We used to go to Chill Island but find that it gets really crowded since it is one of the closest beaches.  Water is clear there and there are usually a few sting rays hanging out.  We now go to South Beach as it isn't as crowded.  We have taken the tram there once or twice but we usually just walk.  

We do not head to South Beach first anymore, we head to the Oasis pool first as it isn't crowded early.  We like to walk a few laps of that pool to cool off and get some exercise.  Once it starts to get busier, we grab our stuff and head off to South Beach.  You walk along the road a little but then there is a path that is fully shaded that goes through the trees that will take you directly there.  We grab a couple of loungers, blow up our floats and then go out in the water for an hour or two.  We always bring blow up pool noodles that fold up and fit in a quart sized ziploc.  We go out past the floating bar, away from all the people at the shoreline.  There will be snorkelers out there because there is a sandbar/reef.  We have seen lots of stingrays out there and some lemon sharks.  If the tide is low, you can stand up out there, so it brings lots of people out.

We will have lunch there at the Snack Shack and float a little while longer after lunch before heading back to the ship.  We usually walk back too and will stop at the Oasis pool to cool off if it is a really hot day.

• Like 2

@reallyitsmema thank you! We just need some chairs and shade. Doesn't matter how close to the water as we don't sit still (we'll have our 4yo). He's also too young that one of us wouldn't be right next to him at all moments so don't need a view of the water - we'll be in it lol. Do you feel Chill Island and South Beach are comparable in water clarity?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmagoo1 said:

@reallyitsmema thank you! We just need some chairs and shade. Doesn't matter how close to the water as we don't sit still (we'll have our 4yo). He's also too young that one of us wouldn't be right next to him at all moments so don't need a view of the water - we'll be in it lol. Do you feel Chill Island and South Beach are comparable in water clarity?

We just spent the day with our grands (3 and 5 yrs old) at South Beach. It was great for kiddos that age. We haven't been to Chill Island, so I'm not sure how it compares. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsmagoo1 said:

Just thought of a third CocoCay question - do they have life jackets for toddlers available? Or do I need to pack my son's puddle jumper?

They have plenty of life jackets for the kiddos of all sizes on CocoCay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsmagoo1 said:

Just thought of a third CocoCay question - do they have life jackets for toddlers available? Or do I need to pack my son's puddle jumper?

2 hours ago, mrsmagoo1 said:

There are definitely life jackets to use on Coco Cay and also on the ship.  I would only bring a puddle jumper if you are doing an excursion at another beach in a different port.  As far as clarity goes, Chill Island is clearer but gets really silty with all the people in the water.

Your 4 year old will likely like the free little kids waterpark, Splashaway Bay.  You have to be 36" tall to use the little slides.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 3:02 PM, jerryg95 said:

Not sure if you mentioned what time of year you are going but if it is in the winter you might not be spending much time in the water. The air could be chilly also.

We'll be there at the very start of October.

On 8/2/2024 at 11:58 AM, mrsmagoo1 said:

They have life jackets for children both on the ship and at Coco Cay. Racks of them in at least 3 different sizes.

On 8/2/2024 at 3:02 PM, jerryg95 said:

Not sure if you mentioned what time of year you are going but if it is in the winter you might not be spending much time in the water. The air could be chilly also.

We have decided we will likely pay to go to Hideaway Beach during the cooler months for the heated pool. We went there three times this year in February and March. The heated pool makes a big difference that time of year. 

On 8/2/2024 at 8:19 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I also have < $1000 for both types for my Utopias next summer as well (not that I’m actually shopping).

It's easy to confuse the two cabanas at Hideaway, I've done it myself.  The Hideout Cabanas have never gone below $1398pp for our Icon sailing.  But the Hideaway Cabanas are down to $908pp today. Of course it may have to do with Icon being so new and expensive.  Still watching and hoping 😆

55 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

It's easy to confuse the two cabanas at Hideaway, I've done it myself.  The Hideout Cabanas have never gone below $1398pp for our Icon sailing.  But the Hideaway Cabanas are down to $908pp today. Of course it may have to do with Icon being so new and expensive.  Still watching and hoping 😆

I'm not confusing them. When I posted that both were under $1000 and I have seen both under $1000 before. As I'm sure you know, prices vary greatly from one ship/sailing to the next.

I'd second south beach. It was pretty quiet the last time we were there even with Wonder and some other smaller ship in at the same time. Obviously more options the earlier you go, but it never got over busy. Loved the palapa bar out in the water and plentiful food and other bar options close. 

Just sailed on icon to cococay last week. It was awfully crowded, no room in the pool or the first beach to the left. No chairs. Water was cloudy in the lagoon. Water was full of seaweed on the first beach to the left (not sure if that’s breezy bat or chill island. The only area we went with clear water was south beach, but then we say a giant stingray and most people got out of the water. There was a stronger current at south beach. 

10 minutes ago, cruisers122024 said:

Just sailed on icon to cococay last week. It was awfully crowded, no room in the pool or the first beach to the left. No chairs. Water was cloudy in the lagoon. Water was full of seaweed on the first beach to the left (not sure if that’s breezy bat or chill island. The only area we went with clear water was south beach, but then we say a giant stingray and most people got out of the water. There was a stronger current at south beach. 

Why would you get out of the water if there was a stingray?  We always see stingrays at Coco Cay and have also seen lemon sharks.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 8:45 AM, cruisers122024 said:

My wife had a stingray swim right up to her on a recent visit. The reaction was just to opposite for us. More people got into the water to get a closer look. 

• Like 2

On 8/9/2024 at 9:45 AM, cruisers122024 said:

What time did you get off the ship? Where there other ships in?

23 hours ago, artvlay said:

What time did you get off the ship? Where there other ships in?

So there was an obnoxious announcement with singing that woke everyone up I believe at 8am. We were never woken up with announcements in any other day. We probably got off the boat at 9am. Two ships- I’m assuming a full capacity icon and I think adventure of the seas. 

16 minutes ago, cruisers122024 said:

So there was an obnoxious announcement with singing that woke everyone up I believe at 8am. We were never woken up with announcements in any other day. We probably got off the boat at 9am. Two ships- I’m assuming a full capacity icon and I think adventure of the seas. 

Thanks 

Posted (edited)

Is there a list of which beaches/pool areas have lounges that do not cost extra?  We'll be there for the first time in March.

Edited by DLKC
Added comment.

12 minutes ago, DLKC said:

Is there a list of which beaches/pool areas have lounges that do not cost extra?  We'll be there for the first time in March.

There are free loungers everywhere.  Lots of umbrellas for shade too.  The map will show you the layout.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/perfect-day-map-marketing-reveal.pdf