Cruising next week, wife currently testing positive for Covid

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

In some it can be. At least a week or so. Happened to my aunt even though she felt fine.

More likely to be on the PCR tests- the ones you used to send to a lab for a result as they are super sensitive.  The flow tests often stop reading positive even when you still have symptoms as they are less sensitive, it depends how much of the virus you are shredding when you test and it varies case by case.

18 hours ago, maketime4cruisin said:

fair point. shows me where their head is at though that they would even think about going on the cruise anyway. hopefully she is healthy by the time the cruise leaves 

Current protocol is to quarantine for 5 days, after that folks are considered not contagious. Why wouldn’t she go on the cruise?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Is this true??????????????

It’s been true for years, I remember the schools stopped at one point needing students to test negative to return because it could be weeks, even though they were no longer contagious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to my doctor and the CDC, it is. You are welcome to consult your own physician. Symptoms improving is the most accurate tell, as there may still be small levels of the virus in recovering patients. 

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Current protocol is to quarantine for 5 days, after that folks are considered not contagious. Why wouldn’t she go on the cruise?

That's outdated. The protocol is just to stay home until you've noticed symptom improvement, without fever, for 24+ hours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Correct, just like any of the other hundreds of viruses one encounters 

Considering that one of the causes of a "common" summer cold is likely a corona virus (the other major cause is a rhinovirus), could OTC testing for covid in fact falsely test positive for a common summer cold? The way I was taught (decades ago), corona virus common colds tend to spike in summer, and rhinovirus common colds tend to spike in winter.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Considering that one of the causes of a "common" summer cold is likely a corona virus (the other major cause is a rhinovirus), could OTC testing for covid in fact falsely test positive for a common summer cold? The way I was taught (decades ago), corona virus common colds tend to spike in summer, and rhinovirus common colds tend to spike in winter.

I am not intimately familiar with the sensitivities of OTC tests. As a medical professional, I have always been somewhat suspect of them. WAY too many variables. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, orville99 said:

They would have gotten off of Allure in PC. We were docked next to her in Coco Cay on Thursday on her last voyage out of PC on the 19th. (which is probably when DW contracted Covid, because we spent quite a lot of the day Thursday on the island in the crowds). She came in to PC that Friday, disembarked her passengers and then deadheaded to Miami. Utopia arrived shortly after she left and boarded her first revenue generating cruise.

We sailed on Allure out of Miami on Friday July 19th. We were in Coco Cay on Sat July 20th.  I’m pretty sure her first sailing out of Miami was Tues July 9. 

I'm not going to tell you what to do OP.  I will say, I fully expect many of the passengers onboard my cruise next week to have Covid.  Many just don't know it.  I also expect some will have noro, some colds, some flu...

My plan, not particularly about Covid, but Noro, cold, flu etc... 

Portable bottles of hand sanitizer.  We use it all. the. time. on a cruise before touching anything related to going in my mouth or before touching my eyes or nose.  Wash my hands like I should.  Be aware.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Seriously though, timing wise she’ll probably be fine but you may have it by then.

^^^^

That.

(Wishing you well, though.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mom*3 said:

We sailed on Allure out of Miami on Friday July 19th. We were in Coco Cay on Sat July 20th.  I’m pretty sure her first sailing out of Miami was Tues July 9. 

We pulled into PC about 30 minutes before she did on the 19th.

Edited by orville99

22 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The wife has 10 or so days to recover.  No need to even worry about it at this point.

Not worry but prepare yourself. Different ways to see the same thing. Hoping she bounces back without any issues at all. The current CDC advise is found here: https://www.cdc.gov/covid/prevention/index.html

With the time she has already tested positive, and you have left, she should be fine and there should be NO worries at all for your cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

We pulled into PC about 30 minutes before she did on the 19th.

The Utopia was in Port Canaveral on the 19th. I can guarantee you, I was on the Allure, in Miami, on July 19th. 

IMG_960F548C20A6-1.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

On 7/31/2024 at 1:36 PM, RW_MI said:

CDC guidance says at least 10 days since first symptoms AND 24 hours since last fever AND improved symptoms.

Sounds like your wife will likely be fine and I hope you are too! 

Editing to add that the guidance has changed so often, I hope this is right, but it's right from their site. 

Patients with mild to moderate illness who are not moderately to severely immunocompromised:

•  At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
  • At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
  • Symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath) have improved

https://www.cdc.gov/covid/hcp/infection-control/index.html#:~:text=At least 10 days and,shortness of breath) have improved

I’m surprised how far down I had to scroll to find the actual guidance. Lots of anecdotal advice on this thread. Thanks for sharing this.

3 minutes ago, notscb said:

I’m surprised how far down I had to scroll to find the actual guidance. Lots of anecdotal advice on this thread. Thanks for sharing this.

Except that guidance applies to medical facilities, not the general public.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 3:24 PM, notscb said:

You came here to find the actual guidance.  Wow!😆🤣😂

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

You came here to find the actual guidance.  Wow!😆🤣😂

It's crazy to think that someone would, you know, post a link to actual information first versus all of the anecdotal posts on this thread.

2 hours ago, notscb said:

It's crazy to think that someone would, you know, post a link to actual information first versus all of the anecdotal posts on this thread.

I know, how crazy to think I would come here to cruise critic to find out the latest information about what to do if you test positive for covid.  Especially, since, the depth of medical information here is off the charts.  I mean literally off the charts.  😉

😂

jc

• Haha 2